Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Re: Coastal Cruising Boat Selection Help

You need a bigger boat......unless you refrain from looking at buying a boat for your friends and extended family, you need to look at buying for you and your direct family. It is nice to think of friends and rellos but unless you have a boat much bigger than 40' it wont work other than day trips. The size boats you are looking at are nice for two, tough for four on any time more than a weekend.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

While the backstay-less/hot tub cockpits of that series of Hunters are not near the top of my list, I think the concerns about following seas and open transoms are overstated. We've done plenty of miles in the Caribbean on an open transom boat and never had a wave catch us up.. and even if it did it will be gone (drained) as quick as it came in.

The typical stern-to mooring in many areas that you're planning to visit makes such arrangements very convenient, and the dinghy and swimming access it provides is a big advantage too.

However I suspect that at $30K you're unlikely to find too many boats big enough/new enough to have that feature so it may be a moot point. In that case perhaps focus on the best kept example of a proven, older design you can find. I met a couple recently who picked up a mid 70s PH41 (BC built cruiser/racer) in good shape for $40K - this is a boat you could take anywhere, so they are out there, and I understand the US market is pretty soft so a buyer has lots of leverage.

Good luck in your quest.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 07-04-2012

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road

I hope you checked some of the big websites... sailboatlistings (especially), sailingtexas, yachtworld, etc? It would be hard for someone to recommend any of the three you mention especially if we don't see detailed pics. If all are in good condition it sounds like to me as far as make and model are concerned... the Pearson would be good for safety (from the things I read), the Hunter for comfort and the IP will do both pretty good, safety and comfort. This said, there are plenty of boats out there, no need to limit yourself to just three. Hey since you mention the gulf coast and barrier islands what area are you in? You can also try craigslist for used boats.
Old 07-05-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Close Quarters View Post
The 5+ Year Plan - Extended trips from the Gulf Coast through the Keys, the Bahamas, the Exumas and the BVI's and back with my wife for 4-6 months at a time during the winter. Extended trips up the Tenn Tom Waterway during the summer.

Boats currently being considered:
  1. 1996 Hunter 29.5
  2. 1987 Island Packet 27
  3. 1983 Pearson 303

The Hunter appears to be a bit more conducive to accommodate larger groups of family & friends. But I am unsure if the Hunter is really the boat we want when it comes time to sail to the BVI's. I worry about the lack of back stays and the open sugar scoop. Of course the kids love the open sugar scoop and large cockpit. Also, this boat is at the higher end of our budget and would limit our ability to buy any additional toys such as a dink & kayaks. Bob
Trust me, when you are in the Caribbean you will LOVE the sugar scoop - they should be mandatory on boats there. We had to use a boarding ladder and it quickly became a pain because you are over the side so much. There is no downside to them that I am aware of. Although they LOOK exposed, they really aren't. There's no bigger cockpit drain if you take a lot of water on board.

The Bergstrom / Ridder rig used on the Hunters has been around for more than 35 years now so the lack of a standing backstay is no concern. Personally I don't care for the rig for a number of reasons but the strength or security of it is not among them.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-11-2013

Close Quarters is on a distinguished road

Well, a year later and we ended up with none of the above! Interesting how that happens. I was actually beginning to believe we would never be able to make a decision and pull the trigger. In March, we resumed the serious search and in April, we purchased Ataraxis, a 1979 Pearson 323. Right time, right place and the right price.

Honestly, I am glad to have this phase behind us. One common thread amongst all of the replies is that 30' is too small for the plans we have. After 5 months, I can certainly agree we need to rethink our cunning plan! I am certain she is a good starter boat but I finally understand the need for more space.

My eldest son says we need a larger boat and that Ataraxis would be a great 'apartment' while he is attending college.

Thanks again for all of the helpful advice! Now if someone could explain how to add a profile picture.

Bob, Amy and the boys
blowinstink, justflie and TJC45 like this.
Old 08-11-2013

bblument is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, a year later and we ended up with none of the above! Interesting ho
Thanks again for all of the helpful advice! Now if someone could explain how to add a profile picture.

Bob, Amy and the boys
Congratulations on your boat. My wife and are have been empty nesters for a few years now, and bought our first boat last October... a Pearson 26. It needed a lot of work. Now, it needs less work and is sailable, and we're having a great time with it. Strong, pretty, wonderful boat to learn on... meaning both parts of both ownership.... learning to work on boats, and learning to sail. I can definitely see us wanting to move to something larger in a year or two once we have the basics down and want to start spending more than a week or two onboard, but for right now the size is perfect. When we DO move up, a Pearson will be on the top of the list.

To add a profile pic, signature, or other fun things, use the "User CP" menu button appears at the top of the page on the far left.. next to the "FAQ," "Community," and other menu bar items.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Old 08-12-2013

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road

Congratulations
Old 08-12-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

And congratulations on the boat! Sounds like a good thing you passed on the other candidates - you didn't sound very enthusiastic about them.

E.
Old 08-12-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Thanks for returning with an update. That seldom happens so it is appreciated. Best of luck with your new boat.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-13-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Well, a year later and we ended up with none of the above! Interesting how that happens. I was actually beginning to believe we would never be able to make a decision and pull the trigger. In March, we resumed the serious search and in April, we purchased Ataraxis, a 1979 Pearson 323. Right time, right place and the right price.

Honestly, I am glad to have this phase behind us. One common thread amongst all of the replies is that 30' is too small for the plans we have. After 5 months, I can certainly agree we need to rethink our cunning plan! I am certain she is a good starter boat but I finally understand the need for more space.

My eldest son says we need a larger boat and that Ataraxis would be a great 'apartment' while he is attending college.

Bob, Amy and the boys
Congrats!

You guys still planning on going cruising? We have two boys (9 and 13) and currently in Marathon. Let us know if you are coming down!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: