SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

what''s a good cruising AND racing boat

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  paulk 
#1 ·
what''''s a good cruising AND racing boat

We are looking to buy a new boat, but the more we research the more comfused we get (at least I am)
My husband wants a boat that is fast, well built and does not cost much more than $25000. I want creature comfort, meaning enough headroom, so I can stand up, icebox, enclosed head etc. Enough so we could go cruising for a week or two.
We were looking at:
J30
Laser28
S2 9.2a

The only thing we know for sure is, the boat should be at least 28 feet, preferable 30.
Does anybody has a suggestion?

#2 ·
what''''s a good cruising AND racing boat

The bigger the better, especially if there may be three (or more) of you at some point. If you''re planning to cruise for a week or two, a C&C 34 (or an older 35) mightt fit into your budget as well. The added space would help make such a cruise much more enjoyable. The C&C''s are also relatively quick. A good way to compare the relative performance of boats is to look at their PHRF ratings, if you haven''t already. Make sure any boat you make an offer on gets a thorough survey. Even "one design" boats differ from each other in condition and how they''ve been cared for, so expect every boat to be somewhat unique. J/30''s are reputed to need decent wind to really perform, but there seem to be a good many of them even here on Long Island Sound, where light wind is the norm. I have heard nice things about the Laser 28 as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.