Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012
Eyeing off horizons

meridiansahoy is on a distinguished road
Good Centre Cockpit with 6"5' Head Room

Hi All,

I looked at a Kelly Peterson 44 today and was really disappointed to find that my ample height was left about 3" short in the height of the Saloon. I don't think its a show stopper considering that the KP44 is such a good boat for offshore, but I'm looking for any ideas from fellow longitudinally challenged purchasers for a good boat to spend a couple of years crossing oceans on.

Cheers
Hugh
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2012
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Re: Good Centre Cockpit with 6"5' Head Room

Have a look at a Morgan 41 Out Island

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2012
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Have you had a look at a Peterson 46????

I don't know for sure about headroom but it may just be that little bit better that it makes all the difference.

I am a big fan of both boats.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 07-07-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
Have a look at a Morgan 41 Out Island
Forget the Morgan 41 Out Island its an ugly boat mass produced for the Caribbean bare boat charter fleets. Head room on a barge still leaves you with a barge.Head room will be a problem with most boats, mine has 6'5".
meridiansahoy likes this.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 07-07-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-07-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Endeavour E43K or Island Packet ip465.
Old 07-07-2012
Eyeing off horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post
Cheers, I've seen a few of these ip465s around the place, but way out of my price range and doesn't have my taste in romantic appeal.

I've read a few reviews saying the windward performance of the Endeavour 43s aren't great, anyone heard otherwise?

SimonV, that comment about the Morgans was about the same reaction as I had to what I saw available. I'm still pretty keen on the centre cockpit though so the Ericson 39B might not fit the bill.

Can anyone comment on an Adams 12/13 CC for headroom? Certainly meets my requirement of good sailing characteristics.
Old 07-07-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I checked the headroom in my Bristol 45.5 and it is about 6'5" in the main cabin and less in other parts of the boat (quite high in the cockpit though if you remove the bimini). I remember years ago seeing a 10 metre (as in the measurement rule) that had been built for the king of Sweden (or Norway or Denmark) who was 6' 9" but boats with really big headroom are rare. Designers are trying to keep the profile under control and every inch lower helps.
Old 07-07-2012
Eyeing off horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I checked the headroom in my Bristol 45.5 and it is about 6'5" in the main cabin and less in other parts of the boat (quite high in the cockpit though if you remove the bimini). I remember years ago seeing a 10 metre (as in the measurement rule) that had been built for the king of Sweden (or Norway or Denmark) who was 6' 9" but boats with really big headroom are rare. Designers are trying to keep the profile under control and every inch lower helps.
Hi Killarney,

Thanks for measuring that headroom, I've just been looking at Bristol 45.5 and very much liking what I see. I'll be checking in with you regularly to see how those passages go over to the Maldives.

I've been looking around Oz for a nice Bristol, but so far not much luck. Were you looking for long before you found? Or was yours a fairly wide selection criteria like mine?

Cheers
Hugh
Old 07-07-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by meridiansahoy:893921
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post
Cheers, I've seen a few of these ip465s around the place, but way out of my price range and doesn't have my taste in romantic appeal.

I've read a few reviews saying the windward performance of the Endeavour 43s aren't great, anyone heard otherwise?
That's not completely true. Some of it depends on sail configuration and some on steering load. They have a significant weather helm and with a minimally sufficient Edson pulley system it's difficult to overcome. We replaced the Edson with a Capilano hydraulic system compensating for the weather helm. Ours points well and is easier to handle with the new hydraulics. Keep in mind that the E43 has a relatively shallow draft, the same as a ip465 at 6' so there is some drift but is easy compensated by keeping her as vertical as possible. Having a 14' beam she's somewhat uncomfortable in a following sea and it's sometimes better tack your way out, or adjusting course to put it on the quarters. One thing is for sure, if you desire a CC with over 6' of headroom you're going have to let go of something else because all of those boats have similar sailing characteristics. The Endeavour E43 is similar to the ip465 in many ways as they are both designed by Bob Johnson albeit 30 years apart, yet can be purchased at a fraction of the cost. The are so many thing we like about ours we've come to overlook her few shortfalls and that is the way it is tonight. Good luck in your search and education.
Old 07-07-2012
Eyeing off horizons

Thanks sea_hunter, great appraisal of the Endeavour 43. I'll look into it a bit more and keep you on the list for advice.

Tags
bluewater , center cockpit , centre cockpit , kelly peterson