SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Boat for lake sailing

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jsimpkins 
#1 ·
Hello All,
I have recently been forced in to the boat market again. I was wondering if I could get some ideas from the knowledgeable folk''s on this list.
I sail on a lake in SC that has about 1k of shore line. It seems the winds are either lite and fluky or blowing the squirrels out of the trees. Most of the time we have fairly lite air. We have no intention of ever taking this boat to the ocean. In fact we will be selling this boat in a few years and buy a larger boat to do some cruising.
I would like to have a boat that has traditional good looks and I enjoy keeping my brightwork up. We weekend on our boat several times a year and overnight once or twice a month at the dock. The primary use of the boat is for daysailing with the family. We don''t want a sailing houseboat, but some creature comforts would be nice.
I do not want a racer, I have the good fortune to race on a Flying Scot and a Capri 22 so I have no need of another.
We''ve been sailing for seven years and have previously owned a 23'' Seafarer, 26'' Chrysler and a Seidelmann 30T.
Thanks
Dirt

#3 ·
Look at Islander, the 28 and the Bahama 30 would be appropriate and some at least will be within the budget number. Very nice inland water boats, I have a Bahama 30 on Lake Texoma, where light air is a fact of life in the summer, and she does well. Also, when the squirrels are blowing out of the trees into the water, she is quite solid also. Nice accomodations on these boats, too.

Tom Mays

#4 ·
I been a lake sailor for years and I have sailed a Catalina 30 with wing keel, a U.S. Yachts 25 with a 5ft fin keel, and a 30ft. cruiser with a full 4ft keel. The only boat I ran aground with was the fin keeled boat. My friends with swing keels are always fixing them. So, my next boat will have shallow draft. If your family gets worried when the boat heels, a full or 3/4 keel will solve the problem as they are stable boats.

Because the family will want comfort and fun I would recommend a shoal draft boat 29 or 30 ft in length. You can pick up an older boat with lots of amenities the family would enjoy and the resale value will not change much in a few years when you are ready to buy that crusing boat.

Yachtworld has a 30ft Clipper Marine in Charleston, but I''m sure if you look around in SC there are many choices. Have fun looking!
http://www.yachtworld.com/thehullcompany/

#5 ·
A wood boat with a glass hull from Germany ?
Old ( 72 ) but beautiful. 15 k 24 foot. Headturner, loaded ( lol ) lots of room, sleeps 4 easy. Teak Deck .. not for everyone. 279 Phref Sleeper. Its called Biga and is still built in Germany ( $ 65000 dlr new )

Let me know if you are interested.
has a great trailor and is ready to go, just finished vc17 and varnish work. ( actually I will give her a few more layers of varnish ) Its great to have a heated warehouse to work on the boat... lol

Thanks Thorsten

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.