Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012

JustinB is on a distinguished road
Coastal cruiser in NE

Hi all,
I came on a month or so ago asking if I should buy a 44' bluewater boat to replace my 27' Catalina. I got all excited about it but had a chance to sit back and think and realized that my problem here is that the Catalina was too vanilla for me and I was desperate for something different and unique. So..... I sold my Cat over the weekend to some nice couple from CT. They are ecstatic as much as I am. They came and looked at it and drove off with it the same day.

I thought long and hard about it and realized that I don't have much interest in a true bluewater boat, but rather coastal sailing. I have really fallen for the idea of a smaller trailerable boat when I found a 2004 West Wight Potter for $6500 in impeccable condition. I like the idea of being able to tow it to the Cape or Boston so easily. The slip fees for my Catalina were kind of steep. At the same time, I found a Cape Dory 25 for $6000 that has been well maintained as well. The Cape Dory had my attention because it was built 1/4 mile from where I live. Both of these boats are supposed to be better for rougher water than my Cat was which is of interest to me. The currents around here are pretty wild sometimes and I would love something a little better able to handle the New England Coastline. Are there any other good options for smaller unique yet tough little sailboats?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Re: Coastal cruiser in NE

Try the Schock Harbor 25 - tough elegant boat - real head - pricey.

sea trials by a 3rd party -
Harbor 25 Sea Trials - W. D. Schock Corporation - Performance Sail Boats
Old 07-12-2012

The Harbor 25 is an absolutely beautiful boat. It has the classic look that the newer boats lack. Very expensive though! Thanks for the link, I have a pic of it as my wallpaper now!
Old 07-13-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Not clear if you want something you can trailer to reduce costs, or just something different than the Cat 27. The CD25 is not really trailerable and slip costs will be the same as the Cat. The WW Potter is an interesting boat, but small and SLOW. What are your requrirements?
Old 07-13-2012

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road

WWP 19 versus Cape Dory 25
Ford Focus 5-door hatchback versus Ford Transit Connect

You really gotta figure out the type of sailing you want to do.
Old 07-13-2012

That's what my dilemma is. I want something that I can go weekend sailing with. I don't need a fancy cabin, just a place to sleep, prep food and be able to sit up in. I like the idea of trailerable for a few reasons. I would occasionally travel to other parts of the state or the Great Lakes and would like to bring my boat along. I like that I can put it in the water myself and not have a slip. Being able to clean it after each use is a big plus.

On the other hand, a fixed keel and larger hull seems like a necessity to travel to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket as well as down Long Island Sound to NYC.

I guess trailerable is a big preference as long as there is a trailerable boat that can safely handle what I need it to.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a trailerable boat that can take a pounding?

Thanks all!

Oh yeah, can my Prius tow a boat or should I get an SUV?
Old 07-14-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
Oh yeah, can my Prius tow a boat or should I get an SUV?
This is a joke right?
Old 07-14-2012
Just A Member

Dick6969 is on a distinguished road

Have a 27' luger for sale w/trailer
E-mail me @ dickmartincycles@sc.rr.com
Old 07-14-2012

Southcoasting is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you want the best of both worlds...A seaworthy trailerable sailboat...

Problem is, trailerable sailboats are typically light, which would make them not as seaworthy as heavy built boats used regularly in places like Buzzards Bay.

I have a friend who moors his 20' ODay where I moor my T27 and he uses his regularly out in Buzzards Bay...He's even been to Martha's Vineyard on that thing...Although he did admit on his trip to MV last year, he got overpowered on his way back and lost his mast and had to replace his rigging! So it did not really stand the test of strong winds (30+) but then again, I would not have gone out even on my T27 in strong winds like that...He moors his but on launch days he just trailers it himself in his small SUV...

I hear of West Wight Potters going to all sorts of places...matter of fact, they are extremely popular in West Coast...I was listening to a podcast from itunes recently and it had this whole show about the WW Potter association out there...

A CD25 is definitely not trailerable unless you have like a huge diesel pickup...

Have you looked into Catboats? It sounds like they might fit what you're looking for...They're simple, elegant, and really cool looking and very different which it sounds like what you want and very popular out in Buzzards...There's one or two listed on the SOuthcoast craigslist right now too...They only sleep about 2 or three at a time but then again, it sounds like you're not looking to sleep many people on it...

Just did a quick search on the Southcoast CL and found one in my town of Fairhaven for $8000 but then found another one in Providence that needs work to tiller and boom but comes with trailer and they want $4500...

Good luck and let us know how you make out...

Last edited by Southcoasting; 07-14-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
This is a joke right?
No, it's not a joke. I was referring to towing a Potter 19 or comparable with a Prius which turns out is possible but not for long distances. I have a 2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500 with the 8.1 and quadrasteer. It's an absolute dream to tow with but not necessary for my needs. I bought it to tow my 34' Airstream but have since sold that. I'd have to keep it if I purchased another large boat. I'd be happy if I could downgrade to an older 4 Runner though.

Southcoasting:
I did have a peek at that catboat in Fairhaven. It is a nice little boat but I have a preference toward the mast in the middle of the boat.

I usually stay in the Fall River/Newport area which is pretty sheltered but I'd prefer to get out a little further. Naragansett Bay is nice and all but I love exploring.

I hope I can find the best of both worlds sooner than later. There's a few months of sailing left!