Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012
Max Hax

blistovmhz is on a distinguished road
Re: S2 9.2c - for liveaboard - thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobnets View Post
Regarding the original post and pictures. Has anybody noticed there's a different paint job between the picture of the boat at anchor and the picture of the boat on the hard? Cove stripe has disappeared on the picture of the boat on the cradle.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"
Heh. The stripe is new. Currently on the boat. Talked to the owner. Said the spot in photo is from camera. I asked around a bit and no one recalls any major work being done to the keel. Just new gelcoat. The owner assured me that if I do buy it, I can haul it out and won't see the spot.

I also asked though about the engine having no oil pan. As the bilge access is right below the engine, it's difficult to see what's going on down there. This was the only major concern for me as there looked to be a bit of oil coating the sides of the bilge. Owner says the motor does leak a few drops every few months but that oil changes show no noticeable decrease in levels. He apparently put some oil absorbant in the bilge (which is that rag I thought I saw). Thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistovmhz View Post
there looked to be a bit of oil coating the sides of the bilge. Owner says the motor does leak a few drops every few months but that oil changes show no noticeable decrease in levels. He apparently put some oil absorbant in the bilge (which is that rag I thought I saw). Thoughts on this?
That's why oil absorbers, diapers etc. were invented - I've never yet seen a boat that didn't have SOME oil under the engine, even if it was only spilled when filling it.

You can tell at a glance if there's been a lot of oil down there or just some weeping, minor spillage etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-01-2012
Max Hax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
That's why oil absorbers, diapers etc. were invented - I've never yet seen a boat that didn't have SOME oil under the engine, even if it was only spilled when filling it.

You can tell at a glance if there's been a lot of oil down there or just some weeping, minor spillage etc.
Thanks. That alleviates my only concern with this boat other than "I still can't find liveaboard moorage anywhere that allows pets".
Old 08-02-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistovmhz View Post
Thanks. That alleviates my only concern with this boat other than "I still can't find liveaboard moorage anywhere that allows pets".
You've found SOME form of liveaboard moorage? Scratch that, you've found MOORAGE? Around HERE?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-02-2012

steveg353 is on a distinguished road

We used to charter one of these for the weekend a few years back before owning our own.
It was a fun boat to sail and comfortable with the aft berth.
One thing I remember well is that the holding tank was not much bigger than a dixie cup.
I don't know how much volume it actually holds but it was not much...at all.
Old 08-02-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

That sure is a nice boat. I can't speak to the price vs. the condition, but if it's a fair deal, I'd go for it.

It really looks comfortable, well equipped and well maintained. It is aesthetically pleasing, someone else in the thread says it even sails well. Living aboard such a boat would be a real adventure.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-02-2012
Max Hax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
You've found SOME form of liveaboard moorage? Scratch that, you've found MOORAGE? Around HERE?
Yea, finding moorage isn't all that difficult. Most of the Marina's still haven't discovered the Internet (which would make it much easier), but those who have all seem to have a few slips open. There's lots up the Fraser, always a couple in False Creek. All the liveaboard is up the creek which kinda sucks. I'd rather be in the middle of squamish than the Edge of Vancouver.
Old 04-21-2013

Bluerain is on a distinguished road

Somewhat old thread but I found this thread because I was looking up that exact boat actually. It's for sale again, seems to me it's the same owners, so they've been trying to sell it for 1-2 or more years?

I contacted them and asked about their price flexibility, since if the boat isn't selling it either has problems (which it doesn't seem to) or it's not priced properly for the market. they said "we've had it surveyed and our price is dead on".

I can see why they haven't managed to sell the boat in several years of trying...
Old 04-21-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Ask them for a copy of the survey.
Old 04-21-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Yup, they are dead set on the price. If it came with the slip it's in, it'd be well worth it, but the marina there has a rule about Vancouverites... They don't want an infestation. So you have to live in Squamish for x amount of time before you can get a slip.