Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2004

sailin-girl is on a distinguished road
buying a first

hey guys. i really love boating, especially sailing. i want to buy a liveaboard boat but i really dont know what to look for in that sort of thing. i want something like a newbridge venturer 22 as lack of space is not a problem for me, but im not sure if that type of boat is good for ocean waters(something i wouldnt mind knowing). i would prefer a sailing boat, but with a back up engine just in case. as i am by my self most of the time, i want something that can be handled by one person, and a friend on longer trips. any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2004

Wulfe is on a distinguished road
buying a first

You have got to be kidding, right?
Old 01-29-2004

buying a first

no im not kidding. i dont plan on doing this for 4 or 5 years, as i am kind of young, and its never to early to research and ask questions. like i said i am not sure what to look for and i am very new to the whole boating world when it comes to bigger boats, but i really want to do this some day, so i decided to ask more experienced sailers about it. do you have any suggestions?
Old 01-29-2004

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
buying a first

OK, lets look at it another way. I guess it can be assumed we are welcoming someone to the sport (lifesyle? pastime?) of sailing. The boat you mentioned in your original post seems to be predominantly in the UK. A quick search showed none in the US and while not being all knowing, I had never heard of a "Newbridge" before.

How much sailing are you expecting to do with your new home? Are you looking for a boat primarily to live aboard, of something to "Sail the seven seas" with? How much sailing have you done?

I have found this board to be a wealth of information, but we need just a wee bit more from you about your goals and expectations to be able to begin to help you out. Let us know your expected budget, intended primary use for your boat, where you will be sailing, concerns, ANYTHING more than just that you plan to live aboard and it does not have to be big.
Old 01-30-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
buying a first

Welcome to the wonderful world of sailing. You sound a lot like me when I was a also teenager. I bought my first boat when I was 14 or so with money that I had saved up working odd jobs. It was only a 10 foot open boat but I learned a lot from puttering around with her. As a 15 year old I lived aboard my family''s boat for the summer by myself and worked in a boatyard, rowing or sailing to work each day. That was a great experience. While I was the ''dock boy'' on the weekends, pumping gasoline and cleaning up people''s boats before they went out or after they came in, during the week I worked with the yard crew, painting bottoms, varnishing, doing rigging, boat carpentry, and fiberglass work which taught me a lot of skills that have proved useful over the years. The boat yard job was only four days a week, so I also landed a job with a boat rental. In those days people who knew nothing of sailing might rent a boat and when that happened they would put a kid on board to teach them to sail and to keep them out of trouble. I really got a kick out of that job. I could not believe that someone was actually paying me to go sailing. I also had a fun job during that same summer working for a very wealthy man who owned classic sailboats. His house was right on Long Island Sound and he had seach lights mounted on the roof. When he threw parties, he would pay people to sail these classic sailboats around in front of his docks while kids aimed the spotlights on the boats. I typically single-handed his Luders 16 (24 feet length) during those evenings. On the whole those summers were a great lesson in self-reliance.

As a teenager I had planned to buy a small cruising boat as soon as I could afford one. I bought my first cruising boat when I graduated from college. She was an old wreck of a 25 foot wooden Folkboat which I put back together in a massive restoration project. Although Folkboats and their derivatives such as the Contessa 26 which uses a Folkboat hull, do not have ''CE Open Ocean'' ratings they have sailed all over the place including some well documented circumnavigations. I lived on mine briefly and sailed in South Florida area.

Silmarils is asking the right questions and as Silmaril noted, those of us on the left side of the Atlantic are not likely to know the Newbridge Venturer 22 as they appear to be an English design. Looking at the picture they appear to be a very nice bilge keeler. Bill Dixon is a very competitent designer. They look like they are nicely set up for coastal cruising with an amazingly complete interior for a boat this size and weight. They are not exactly inexpensive.

Boats this size are hard to size up without more information than was available in my quick internet search. These are not especially heavy boats, which is good for sailing ability but bad for being able to carry the kinds of loads that a liveaboard/ cruiser really needs to carry food, clothes, and supplies.

Bilge keel boats like the Newbridge generally require more ballast for an equal stability, so when you look at a moderately low displacement boat like the Venturer, you would expect that the boat is either a little light on ballast or light on carrying capacity or both. Of course light ballast weight generally translates to poor stability, and bilge keels generally have a lot more drag than a similar fin keel boat.

Stability and drag are important at the low and high end of the wind ranges. The size of a boat''s sail area is generally limited by its stability so a boat that is a little light on stability generally has a smaller sail plan. This hurts in light air, as does extra drag, when the winds are a little light to drive the boat well. At the heavier wind range end of things, increased drag means that more sail area needs to be carried to get through wind and waves than a lower drag boat. As a result a high drag boat needs a lot more stability than a low drag boat and so bilge keelers are generally heavier because of greater ballast and drag, which does not appear to be the case with the Venturer, which is the long way of saying that the displacement of the boat leaves a question in my mind about the boat''s offshore capablities.

In a more general sense, traditionally, the recommended displacement for a long range cruiser or liveaboard was 2 1/2 to 5 long tons of displacement per person. Normally, for a single-hander, that results in a boat that is roughly 25 to 38 feet in length if the boat is going to be sturdy enogh and be able to sail well in a range of winds.

I think of Folkboats as being about the smallest liveaboard offshore cruisers out there. Both Marieholm and Contessa (amoungst a whole raft of others including Cheoy Lee and Whitby Boat works) build fiberglass versions of the Folkboat, older examples of which are roughly in the same price range as the Newbridge.

Good luck,
Jeff

Old 01-30-2004

Wulfe is on a distinguished road
buying a first

Sorry for the flip response - I think the winter weather (usually just on my days off - it''s always warm on work days!) is getting to me. Everyone else replying is making good points - sailing is a great sport, you are never to young to start (but you can be too old like I was!) and there are no dumb questions. Please elaborate on your plans so more of these good answers may be posted.

Tom Mays in Texas USA
Old 01-30-2004

buying a first

wow, thanks for all the info guys! yes, i guess i left out some more of the finer points of ny goals: i haven''t gote to much experience, but i plan on taking some lessons and getting out more on the water in the next few years. i plan to do mainly coastal sailing with my boat, not to far out too sea until i feel ive learned enough. my budget is somewere around 50-75,000. about the newbridge- yes, i had a sneaking suspicion that it was from the UK, but i liked the look and size of it-i am from canada(right in the middle of canada too unfortunatly)
P.S. no problem wulfe! the winter blah''s are definatly catching up to me too
Old 02-22-2004

halfar is on a distinguished road
buying a first

Greetings from UK!
Just out of interest, we own a Newbridge Venturer, a lift keel - most are bilge, but some fin keelers were made as well. They are a UK boat, very stable, with a ballast ratio of around 42 percent. Definitely the ''cruising'' end rather than for ''racing''though they sail well. Also an attractive ''boaty'' shape.
Wild Venture is my third boat, though I''ve sailed since age 5, starting in dinghies.
I''d love something bigger, but with size also comes higher berthing fees, insurance. the need to have the boat hoisted for any work - all costs money - there''s a lot more to it than just the purchase price!! I''m a teacher and I manage to afford WV as my ''luxury'' item - do all the maintenance myself including trailer bearings......
Great boat for coastal sailing, but not really blue water. Not really a liveaboard size either, though there is a remarkable amount of space in the boat, and a separate heads too.
Sterling prices are around £5000 to £8000
for a good one - they''re all getting on a bit - ours is 20 years old.
Get the lessons, start small, and progress.
Good sailing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.