SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Small first boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/89967-small-first-boat.html)

Seymore04 07-21-2012 06:09 AM

Small first boat

I know this isn't a new thread on here but I figured I would throw out what my needs in a boat would be and see what might fit. First I am 6' about 190lbs. I want a boat that can be single handed as well as rigged and launched alone. I live in Oklahoma so all lake sailing but pretty strong wind that can make things fairly choppy at times. A boat capable of beaching would be nice but not 100% required. Needs to be Car trailer-able or smaller. Also would be nice if my son (9) could ride along with me at times. I want something that will last more than one season as far as enjoyment goes because cost is a factor. I need something to learn on that wont become boring right away and I can sail for a couple seasons before upgrading. Thanks for any insight you can give me

Mobnets 07-21-2012 08:06 AM

Re: Small first boat

Seymore04:

Check out Small Craft Advisor Magazine and/or their Website. Excellent magazine for what you're thinking about. All about sailing/cruising in small (mostly under 20') sailboats. Ads, reviews, articles will give you an idea what's out there.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"

WDS123 07-21-2012 09:25 AM

Very active group of Santana 20 sailors in your area. S20.org

Or you could try a dinghy such as a Lido 14 - lido14.com

MarkCK 07-22-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDS123 (Post 899406)
Very active group of Santana 20 sailors in your area. S20.org

Or you could try a dinghy such as a Lido 14 - lido14.com

I don't think the Santana would be a good towable boat. The keel is way to deep. Also beaching is near impossible.

It sounds like a 20's swing keep boat would be what you are looking for. Easy to trailer and could still be beached. Anything bigger would take a good sized vehicle. Anything smaller and you would be cramped for room.

JoeLena 07-22-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seymore04 (Post 899366)
I know this isn't a new thread on here but I figured I would throw out what my needs in a boat would be and see what might fit. First I am 6' about 190lbs. I want a boat that can be single handed as well as rigged and launched alone. I live in Oklahoma so all lake sailing but pretty strong wind that can make things fairly choppy at times. A boat capable of beaching would be nice but not 100% required. Needs to be Car trailer-able or smaller. Also would be nice if my son (9) could ride along with me at times. I want something that will last more than one season as far as enjoyment goes because cost is a factor. I need something to learn on that wont become boring right away and I can sail for a couple seasons before upgrading. Thanks for any insight you can give me

How about a Rhodes 19? You might find you at a good price and would be a good boat to learn on. The centerboard version could beach, weighs about 1100 lbs. so you could easily trailer.
http://www.stuartmarine.com/storage/...=1236611840907

WDS123 07-26-2012 06:57 PM

The Santana 20 is less than 1,500 lbs, so might be sensible. My thinking is that the S20 group in OK is so active and supportive that it makes it worth it.

Plus the S20 is just a great little sailboat which can be bought for pennies.

Seymore04 08-21-2012 02:59 AM

A number of people have suggested the S20. I found a sail club here that I think I am going to join because they have boats I can use to learn on and then make an off season purchase or something that may need some work and then I will have time to work on it.

MarkCK 08-24-2012 07:00 AM

I am not knocking the S20. I own one here in SW Missouri. They are great little boats, just not trailer friendly. It sounds like you are on the right path by joining a sailing club.