Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2004

awking is on a distinguished road
Watkins 25 Information

After considerable research while shopping for a shallow draft (learner) boat, I have ruled out most of the prefab trailerables (Hunter 260, Catalina 250, etc). The reason that I have ruled these out are the inherent problems with water ballast and swinging mechanisms. I am strongly considering a Watkins 25 with the shallow fixed keel. I like the roominess of the boat. I know that it will not sail well into the wind, but that is a negligible problem for me. Doeas anyone have any other positive or negative input regarding the Watkins 25?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2009

cwhitney is on a distinguished road
Cool watkins 25/shallow draft

Pray tell! I jus' bought a Watkins 25 this summer, (09). After re-placing the running rigging, & other work I plan on taking it out before end of the month, (October). Naturally I'm curious to see how she behaves...especially with the shalow draft & high freeboard. I can look at her & tell she's not fast. However you never really know until you take her out. Prior to this I understand she was out of the water frim '95 until 2009. The diesel runs well, [it's not the original]. Sails look great. Interior/exterior also. One burner on the stove has never been lit. Seals in the toilet look about gone. Anybody out there got any advice for me on this one...My previous craft for 20 years was a 16 ft. hobie... this is a big step up for me.
Old 10-21-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
cwhitney - Welcome to Sailnet, but you just posted in a thread from 2004 where the Original Poster has only one post.

Maybe this will stir up some other Watkins owners for you.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 10-23-2009

SoC is on a distinguished road
awking,

Never sailed a Watkins 25, but back in the day when I had an old beat up O'Day 22 there was a nice newer Watkins 25 in the same yard. I would always talk with the owner about the boat as I thought it was a nice looking boat, well laid out. One day it came back to the yard with the main sheet traveller ripped out, apparently there was some issue with how they were installed, he got out in a blow and crash jibbed the boat ripping the thing out of the deck. Don't remember why it happened, might want to look into how the traveller is bolted down.

SoC
Old 10-23-2009

cwhitney is on a distinguished road
Well thanks for that tibbit of exciting news. One more thing to worry about but don't want to kill the fun in it.
Old 04-01-2013

Racecase is on a distinguished road
Re: Watkins 25 Information

I know this is an older thread now but there are still some Watkins out there! I just picked up an '83 Watkins 25. It has the 4ft draft keel, which ive heard is rare.

Sailing upwind is a pain but do-able. Going with the wind I can easily hit 5 knots, not a racer but still fun to sail.

As for the traveler, its bolted through to the interior ever 2 inches our so (maybe 15-20 bolts total). There isnt any backing but with that many bolts in a good location it must have been a very strong gust and jibe to pull it out.

She does have a high freeboard and will dance like crazy at anchor if its windy.