Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: considering a ferro cement boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post
So it turns out this boat was built in the late 50's on some backwater on the Connecticut River by an over anal pot smoker who sometimes followed the mixing directions and sometimes not. After completion of the hull and furniture with no rigging or engine, the boat was on a mooring ball somewhere near Chester when hurricane Esther hit New England in 1961. The boat broke her moorings in the resulting flood, capsized on a sandbar about 10 miles south and sank. She stayed there for about 5 years, when an intrepid salvager decided he was going to resurrect her. So in the late 60's she was filled with Styrofoam, airbags, pumped out, refloated and brought to Portland CT. After shoveling out all the mud and silt, she was refitted with basically new (used) everything and brought back to life. She then sailed New England Sound and adjacent waters for nearly 20 years filling her history with memories, smiles and joy to all who sailed with her. She was a year round home for her savior who was kind of a legend in the area. In the late 80's with the owners health failing and age catching up on both of them, she was hauled out at Portland and moved to a piece of property about a 1/2 mile from the river the owner bought just for the purpose and has been sitting there on the hard since. The owner passed a few years ago, his son figures it'll cost 25000+ to crush and get rid of her. But I can tell he's reticent. Here she sits, full of water, mosquitoes and god knows what, all that she was eroding away year by year, but there she still sits, the Endurance.
Nice story, sea_hunter.

If he bored a few holes in her to let the water out and made it generally safe inside (perhaps a pressure wash for starters), added a bit of a bowsprit and a fake mast, surely she'd make a great play house for the local school kids, dreaming of pirates and villans and adventures on the high seas... A project far cheaper than 25k that might benefit the local community.

Can't think of a better use for a ferro boat myself.
Old 08-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post

an intrepid salvager decided he was going to resurrect her. So in the late 60's she was filled with Styrofoam, airbags, pumped out, refloated and brought to Portland CT. After shoveling out all the mud and silt, she was refitted with basically new (used) everything and brought back to life. She then sailed New England Sound and adjacent waters for nearly 20 years filling her history with memories, smiles and joy to all who sailed with her. She was a year round home for her savior who was kind of a legend in the area.
Sounds like a lot more than "A colossal waste of space".
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2012

Agri is on a distinguished road

That story sounds like a checkmark in the pro ferro column to me.
Old 08-20-2012

Woodvet is on a distinguished road

I know this design. They are a wide beamed double ender with plenty of room, good stability. They tend to pitch a bit more and chafe at the dock but are great on the hook. This one has not followed the design which is basically modified from an Atkins for production for Samson and likely built by them or a contractor that spun off.
It was modified more with that pilot house which is likely for the inside passage or Northern colder climates.
These are not entirely cement. They are steel in the primary structure of the hull, roughed in cement and faired with epoxy. Her deck is wood bolted through the clamp by 3/8 galvanized but sometimes up graded to stainless. If galvanized check for replacement it's due.
The prop angle was placed too shallow and often cavitates, her hull speed under engine might reach 5 knots without playing with her trim. The rig was designed to be a gaff cutter. Her water tanks are likely glassed into the hull but an inspection of the diesel is due for replacement.
I have seen the deck soft near the chain plates from fresh water rot.
Most people are afraid of a ferro cement hull but like anything prone to problems (like steel, wood or plastic hulls) it takes research. One person mentioned the rust factor but that was half cocked. If imbeded steel has been exposed to galvanic corrosion from not changing out zincs or salt and moisture intrusion it will be revealed by the need for steel to expand times it's size. It will exhibit serious cracks long before failure of the hull is reached.
The greater concern is whether or not the builder was up to the task of founding her. Unless the paint is in horrible condition it is advisable to leave it be. To remove it is very touchy and might expose metal and involve too much time to fair out again.
A 60 to 80 grit surface must be achieved in order for the new paint to adhere.
Disadvantages: Finding insurance. Some real crazy people in the 60s and 70's built these hulls. The insurance companies are further made nervous by the fact boat wrights have no qualification. Them and the dog trainer are the last hold outs to need certification. When it comes to inspecting a ferro cement boat it's far too easy to happen on an idiot who out of professional courtesy would OK another idiot's work.
Re sale value though that is not a factor if the price in question is already cheap. Striking a reef or rock hard enough to breach the hull.
Advantages: Not paying for insurance, Not spending a bunch on her because it will never increase in value. Great live aboard if not planning to travel. The hull material makes for a quiet passage and rarely if ever leaks in any salt water. They are heavy and seaworthy in heavy weather but can pitch. If you find one that is for sale you can get it cheap and sell it where you end up for the same before flying home.
No sane person thinks nothing can happen to them on the ocean because they have a sound boat. Steel is hot and sweats like an SOB, in the tropics it can burn your feet if not painted bright white. Wood always leaks or has ambient moisture. It stretches and contracts and has rot and galvanic issues.
Many plastic hulls have wood in them to stiffen it and without brine. There is hull blisters, delamination and bad product choices because GRP in it's self is highly technical.
So you can't find a care free hull but a new one in most cases better advised. They all have a different set of problems before considering the design or what it's intended purpose.
A ferro cement can be a good choice just don't hit a solid object because they sink faster than other materials so you need to consider that but most who have them have bragging rights to a bargain. My favorite is wood and bronze but while cold mold is not mentioned, I wouldn't scoff at it either.

Last edited by Woodvet; 08-20-2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: duplicate word
Old 05-30-2013

paulatcrag is on a distinguished road
tom timmerman

Hello all I realize this is a old post but on a long shot I was hoping for more info on tom timmerman. I have a 34' aluminum cutter hull designed by him and built by trinity marine in west van I belive. Any information wpund be appreciated. Sloopjonb? I met the man once when I first bought the boat but now want to sell it and was hoping to pass along as much information as possible. Thanks in advance. Paul
Old 05-30-2013
Senior Moment Member

Re: tom timmerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulatcrag View Post
Hello all I realize this is a old post but on a long shot I was hoping for more info on tom timmerman. I have a 34' aluminum cutter hull designed by him and built by trinity marine in west van I belive. Any information wpund be appreciated. Sloopjonb? I met the man once when I first bought the boat but now want to sell it and was hoping to pass along as much information as possible. Thanks in advance. Paul
I'm afraid I can't help - I only know about him as a local designer back in the day. He did some designs for Samson as well as at least one aluminium design other than yours - a 26' I think. I tried to find him a few years ago to ask a couple of questions but to no avail.

P.S. IIRC your boat was built in Squamish, not West Van.
paulatcrag likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 02-02-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2013

paulatcrag is on a distinguished road

I met him in the 90s and he was at least 80 something then. He was living in Abbottsfod or Mission I cant quite remember. Thanks for that and sorry about the double post I am new here. Paul
Old 05-30-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

That boat has been around here for a long time. If there was anything major wrong with her, it would have shown long before now. How much use do you have to get out of her, at that price, to get your moneys worth out of her? You can't go wrong. She even has a Yanmar not the useless Volvo, common back in those days . Go for it, and enjoy. After a few months, she will owe you nothing. You will have got more than your moneys worth out of her. The gear is worth far more than the asking price.
Old 02-02-2014

Location: sweden karlstad city where we have the best hokeyteam in sweden
rickrick is on a distinguished road

hi l just bay a 53fot ferrocement sailingbaut for fun l chance for a car and its emty inside and have no on the deck no rigg nothing only a siselmotor and the hull. l gone fix it up and get arounf the world and try living on it for long time. model is samson c lord and was build in usa 1981 and come over to europe and sweden where it is right now. Ll dont nothing about this bout but l gone have fun all the way good luck and follow you hart thats the point if you not have cash just relax it coming and in meantime just singing a blues it helps and take you to a good level. When l learn to uploud photos then you can follow my bout from scratch l am sorry my english l am swedish
Old 02-02-2014
Senior Moment Member

Your English is a lot better than my Swedish.

The C-Lord is an enormous boat - you have a lot of work ahead of you.

It was one of the best looking of the Samson designs. You probably get enough wind up there to move it well.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 02-02-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.