Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2004

jbarros is on a distinguished road
when to walk away?

ok, So, I have what to my (admittedly biased) eye is a beautiful boat. She''s got "classic" lines, a little bowsprit, she sails in a breaze, has neutral handling, draws less than 3 feet, yet the one time the top of my mast got wet, She popped right back up as soon as the main was unsheeted. I picked her up for $1000 and I''m in love. she''s got a 7 sail inventory, the winches are lewmar, she''s got 2 sets of 200 feet of 3/4 inch cordage and 20 feet of 3/4'' galvanized on either end hooked up to a 25# plow and a 10# cqr, and all the running rigging except the main halyard is brand new.

So all thats good.

The mast is rotten, and a new mast means a new step, I''ve got a new traveler for her which I need to install. All the electic was shot so she got rewired but still needs a real switch box, she''s got some fungus below despite my best drying attempts and basicly needs a whole new rig, new inside paint, finished electric (box and lights) etc. And after all of that, she''ll still be a 19'' boat with about 4'' of headroom at the larger part of the cabin.

add to this that I''m looking at moving on from day sailing to doing some weekending and small (week long) coastal passages shortly, and hopefully longer cruising in under a year.

So, the debate between my friend and I is as follows, I love her. She''s a great little beginner boat, but
1.) for what I want to do at this point, she may not be the best boat.
2.) To get her back up to a condition where I trust her at all to do what I want, I need to invest many times what I paid for her.

on the flip side:
1.) I know whats wrong with her.
2.) I know how she sails.
3.) She''s paid for (which is debatable, as I own her, but I still need to fork over for parts)

So the question is, do I need to bite the bullet and cough up the few g''s in parts and just spend the winter finishing her off,

or quit trying to polish a turd, sell her cheap to someone who''ll use her for what she was originaly ment to do, and go out and get a better cruising boat.

Obviously this question will have a billion answers and it all depends on the person involved, how much I care about the boat, yadda yadda yadda, so with that disclaimer out of the way, if I could just get your feedback, I''d apreciate it.

Thanks.

-- James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2004
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
when to walk away?

Since you''re going to move "on and up" anyway, why put more money into it, that you won''t likely get back when you sell it? You''ll appreciate the improvements you might make, but will someone looking for a "beginners boat"? Probably not.

Fair winds,

John
Old 02-03-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
when to walk away?

What kind of boat are we talking about here with a wooden mast? Building a new rig for a 19 foot is not all that hard or expensive. Depending on where the rot is located you may also be able to splice on a short length of mast to resolve the problem. (Wood is nice that way.) If you want, email me some pictures of the mast problem.

Good Luck,
Jeff
Old 02-03-2004

newuser is on a distinguished road
when to walk away?

I agree with PBzeer Being in love is one thing and divorce is costly Example Yours truly had a boat with a brand new engine installed but when selling it the surveyer said well the thing had an engine to start with got credit for low hour engine but nothing more.buyers look at all the stuff you did as maintainence.looking for a new love canbe exciting go for it. fair winds matey
Old 02-03-2004

jbarros is on a distinguished road
when to walk away?

sorry, by mast rott, I meant corossion. 26 foot 4"x3" teardrop aluminum mast (possible replacement canidate would be a Catalina Capri 22 mast)

-- James
Old 02-03-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
when to walk away?

To some extent it depends on how badly corroded but you have several options. First of all, you can buy an extrusion pretty cheaply through Dwyer or Kenyon (both are on line). Trace the spar section on a piece of paper, they will have an easy time recognizing their own. It is not that hard to move everything from your old spar to a new one. Plan ''B'' is to sleave the mast. Fir works well for sleaving. To sleave the mast you shape a plug out of piece of wood carving it to the shape of the inside of the spar. Coat the ends of the wood with epoxy to seal the wood and when it cures slip the plug into the mast to provide extra support to the damaged section.

Jeff