SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Boat worth price?

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  KarlP 
#1 ·
I was considering purchase of a Cape Dory 25 (1975) with trailer for $5700. The trailer is rusty and the boat needs a new coat of ablative bottom paint, the teak needs to be resanded and refinished, and there are some cracks on the deck which don't look deep. I could not find soft spots on the deck. Is this a reasonable price?

#2 · (Edited)
There is no such thing as absolute worth. The boat is worth what the buyer and seller agree that its worth. Bottom paint is no big deal, hundred bucks and your done with that. I low balled an offer because of the trailer. Can you visualize the trailer breaking as you are pulling it down the Interstate at 70 mph? What about the engine, sails, interior condition, standing/running rigging, anchor(s), & electronics? My first reaction is the price is high. Was this the first boat you looked at? Do you have a truck that can pull this boat and trailer on the highway and up a ramp? What condition are the tires? They are about $100 apiece. Leaf springs, axles, bearings in good condition?

Reactions: Brewgyver
#3 ·
Without examining the boat closely, no one can give you any useful information about what this particular boat is worth. Depending on the details of the condition, a boat like this could be worth anywhere from many thousands down to "not even if you paid me to take it."

#4 ·
For that price the boat, and trailer should be in pretty good shape, and in workable condition. For comparison I paid $500.00 for a boat that had several issues, and a trailer that I had to spend $300.00 on tires to get it home, followed by new bunks, and paint, and lights, and brakes.

At that price range, and age what you are paying for is what you will get out of it,...a sailable boat. Only you can determine what that is worth to you, but I think there are cheaper trailer sailers, but maybe not exactly what you are looking for.

If you specifically want a cape dory 25, that is a very reasonable price for the boat you want.

#5 ·
I think that is a little high for a CD25 especially if it is not in excellent condition (cheap for a CD25D but they are very different boats).

If you like the Cape Dories, I suggest you check out the CDSOA at Capedory.org. They have a BB forum there too including a "for sale" forum.

Luck

#6 ·
Really at this level, the question is more philosophical than absolute...

Is it worth that much to you...? Is it going to need more work to be sailable and is the extra costs acceptable to you...?

Is there (are there) other boats that may need more work (that your willing to do) at a lower price..?

Or are you not interested in working on the boat and willing to pay more for a "ready to ride" boat...?

I'm handy.. I have the technology and the tools and am willing to put in the work.. So I bought a boat for $760 and am traveling, trailering, and sailing for about $4,000 total...You still gotta paint the bottom and fix the trailer before you can even go out...

#7 ·
Have you considered getting the boat surveyed? Your post leads me to believe you're pretty new at this. So am I, so when I was pretty sold on a Cat 30 a few months ago, I had it surveyed. Survey turned up problems that would have turned a $12,500 boat into a $16,000 before I ever got to sail her. So I passed it up, found another Cat 30 with a fresh survey, in great shape, and bought her in May.

If you can't answer all the Q's Captainmeme suggested, I would suggest investing a little money in a survey.

#9 · (Edited)
I see dozens of CD25s on the market. They were about 1000 made and they don't seem as popular as the smaller or larger CDs. They are a little big for a day sailor a little small for a family coastal cruiser. There should be no problem finding several for sale nearby on the east coast or great lakes. Look to see what else (CD25 and otherwise) is on the market to determine what is reasonable.

Most boats of this size and vintage need paint and brightwork. You will pay a premium for one that does not. That premium might be well worth it.

Do you WANT a trailer? Is the trailer SOUND and what you are looking for?

I see a huge advantage of being able to haul the boat out myself when a major storm is coming, store/work on it in my own yard, and move it hundreds of miles to go explore a new sailing area.

However, finding a GOOD used trailer for a CD25 is hard. I looked an almost nice Greenwich 24 (same hull) a few weeks ago that had the hull deformed over time by the homebuilt trailer that it came on. Sellers are asking $1k+ for a rusty piece of junk you have to use a crane/lift to load and I wouldn't risk driving at more than 20mph. A good new launchable trailer for a CD25 will cost about $5700 by itself.

Do you have a 3/4 ton or bigger truck to pull this boat and trailer?
Why do you think you need a 3/4 ton+ truck to pull a 4000lb boat on a 1500lb trailer? I personally think 4LO and a high tide are important if you launching/retrieving at a ramp. But it doesn't take a large powerful truck to pull 5500lbs up a ramp or along the highway.

#10 ·
"Why do you think you need a 3/4 ton+ truck to pull a 4000lb boat on a 1500lb trailer? I personally think 4LO and a high tide are important if you launching/retrieving at a ramp. But it doesn't take a large powerful truck to pull 5500lbs up a ramp or along the highway."

I over estimated the weight of the boat and trailer. Yep, most half ton PUs are rated to tow at least 5500. I corrected my original post to reflect this.

#12 ·
This may not be the model for everyone, but I generally look at a few of the higher priced and mid-priced 'similar' boats. I look at how those boats have been maintained and then I compare them to the one I am truly considering. I take my own pictures of the boat that I am truly interested in, and I do my own sort of quick survey of what it might cost (time & money) to refurbish/restore the boat. If it looks like the cost will run anywhere near or exceed the cost of the similar boats then it might be worth consider the others too. Of course, that's not all there is to it, but that's kind of a basic and way oversimplified version of the mental principle that I use. There's also plenty of gut feeling in it, oh, and don’t discount common sense. :) it’s amazing how many people disregard that last little nugget. :)

#13 · (Edited)
As a point of reference... Over the weekend I bought a 1978 CD25 (after bridge deck, before bronze ports) and a never been submerged 2006 Triad float-off trailer with about 400 unloaded and 1 loaded mile on it for $4650. Found it listed on the Cape Dory forum and paid full asking price.

The boat has been on the hard for six and a half years. Hull, decks, rudder, and standing rigging look to be in great shape. Non-skid looks decent. A few small cracks in the non-skid and deck gelcoat to repair but decks seem dry. Original gelcoat topsides with a few small patches where the color doesn't match perfectly but you have to look for it. I have pictures from two years ago with the bottom stripped and the gelcoat looks original there too. It now has new bottom paint.

Main and hank on jib look good. Roller genoa could use some repairs. Sail covers have a few small holes in them. Halyards have all rotted in the sun. Only electronics are an older sounder and knot meter. No outboard. No cushions. Compass has been uncovered for many years and the dome is now so brown it is not readable from more than a couple inches away. It is a portapotty model and one came included but I'm thinking about adding a head. The companway drop boards were replaced by a sheet of plywood with a vent in it. It is now badly rotted so I'll build some new drop boards.

I pulled it from Maryland to New Hampshire with a Toyota Tacoma. I can't believe how well the Triad trailer tows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.