Looking for and thoughts on my next boat 40 to 50 ' - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012

wazizit is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for and thoughts on my next boat 40 to 50 '

I would look at a Morgan 454. I just bought a Whitby 45 3 weeks ago in Sarasota, FL and am currently cruising the caribe. My second choice was the morgan 454 on the florida east coast. Excelent fast roomy boat with minor work needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2013

sailorme is on a distinguished road

Be sure to have a look at the irwin 52. they're solidly built boats. some are in disrepair and represent great value. they are huge inside! not to hard to control - my prior boat was a 40' and id idnt tak eme long to get comfortable

they are heavy and have a nice motion while underway. deck is great. lots of flat surfaces so you can walk and lounge around. these boats are all over the world and are good solide cruisers.

you can find some for around 100k that need work.
Old 02-03-2013

RealST is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Is the Morgan 43 Kindred Spirit? If so, it looks like a really well taken care of boat and very comfortable cruiser for two. Of course, I have not seen it in person, so only going off the writeup.

The Irwins (my opinion) are either super boats or a disaster. I have been on several Irwins that were just magnificent, well taken care of, very little maintenance issues, etc. That would be a potentially good boat. I have also seen more Irwins getting peeled than any other boat I can recall. I am not telling you to shy away from Irwins... I am saying just be cautious as it may be an awesome boat or a money pit. ChuklesR recently bought one IIRC and would be a good source for information.

On a completely separate note, I would NOT get a boat that was not ICW compatible. My opinoins here, but let me tell you why. On just our last trip, while sailing down the west coast of Florida, we were in crab trap city. It's that time of year. It was blowing a constant 20kt with higher gusts. THat makes for a very uncomfortable sail when the seas start building with it. SO being able to sail during the day and jump into coves in the evening was a God Send. Also, we could make progress by taking the ICW instead of going outside. Having the ICW as an option, whetheryou use it or not, is a great safety benefit. In addition, many of the cities and places you will want to restock are air/water draft restricted to ICW numbers (65 feet and 7 feet accordingly). You don't want to gauge your next port by only ports that will accomodate your vessel. If so, cruising may take a LONG time as you will have to wait for weather windows others will not have to wait for.

Because of the above reasons, and others I don't feel like typing, I would not have a boat that was not ICW compatible. Now when you get to the Bahamas and Carribean, many of the points I pointed out are void. However, should you come to ever want to sell the boat, those that want to see the USA East coast may shy away from your boat if it was not ICW compaitble for the reasons specified.

My opinions.

Brian
It is indeed Kindred Spirit.
1987 Morgan Catalina 43 Center Cockpit Custom Sail Boat For Sale -

While I was and am impressed with this boat, I am also concerned at the level of work that was done. Sugar Scoop Transom added, Hard Bimini Top, Huge Dingy Davits, Aft Stateroom reworked to make it a centerline Queen, making the dining table smaller (I need that to work on)

Actually, all items I liked on it, but to complete it and then sell it...I wonder why. Did it not come out right? Did to change how it sailed too much? But what really had me second guess my love for it was that it did not have A/C, just 3 Ceramic Space Heaters thought the owner was installing a rear A/C unit the last time I was aboard. It was then that it did not feel as comfortable as I originally thought and found out the bed was a full foot shorter than I am tall.

Therefore, as much as I love that boat, and think it will make someone very happy, I don't think it is for me.

Hung up on an Endeavoure now, but need to get aboard as I might have trouble with that headroom.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-06-2013

Boathabit is on a distinguished road

Not sure the Endeavour would be at the top of the list. Had a 40 for a number of years, and found the build quality so so once you get past the glossy woodwork, i.e. main bulkhead not tabbed to deck, tanks in keel, masonite drawer bottoms, etc. But the main drawback is it's truly mediocre as a sailboat. Very comfortable at anchor and lots of storage, but poorly mannered under sail, not to mention slow up wind.
Old 02-06-2013
"Anhinga" St. Augustine

Capt.Alex is on a distinguished road

I owned lived aboard and cruised on a 1990 Morgan 44. Plenty of room for a couple, beamy and easy to sail.
Highly recommended for the price point you are looking at. There is a 1989 model listed in Sarasota, FL at $109k If you try and get into a higher tiered boat you will end up with an older under-equipped boat. Good Luck!
RealST likes this.
Old 02-06-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealST View Post
just want to bump this thread back into action.

I too am looking to move onto a 40'+ (but under 46') Center Cockpit
My reason for the Center Cockpit is that I do want to have an Aft Stateroom that replicates a bedroom as I will be living on her year round and sailing occasionally.

Seems that every boat I come across, someone screams RUN AWAY. Not for the condition of the boat, but the make.

IE:
Morgan 43:

Irwin 43:

Hunter 45

Feed back that I have gotten on these models are bad, for stories of decks lifting/delaminating to major leaks.
IMHO, the Center Cockpit GulfStar 50 ketch is a great boat, especially for the price range they are available at.
As with any 70s - 80s heavy displacement vessel, be ready to put some effort into restoring her.
But, these boats provide good sailing and spacious accomodations.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.