Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012

DINKS14 is on a distinguished road
Smile Survey by previous surveyor

My offer was accepted the other day on a 43' 1978 Gulfstar Mark II center cockpit ketch rig. Planning to live aboard and sail for the next couple years here in NH and then head for warmer climates!

I'm scrambling a bit to line up a surveyor within the acceptance period. I obtained a survey that was done 4 years ago by the previous seller. The current owner never had the boat surveyed. The surveyor that performed that survey 4 years ago is available in the time frame. He seems qualified and knowledgeable.

Does anyone think it would be beneficial to have this surveyor look at the boat again now 4 years later or do you think I would be better off with fresh eyes on the boat?

Long time reader, first time poster, and first time boat buyer.
excited and freaking out!
Thanks for the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Survey by previous surveyor

I see nothing wrong with have the same surveyor check out the boat again. I don't see any conflict of interest.
Since you have his original survey you must be satisfied that it is through enough otherwise you would not be considering him.

Congratulations by the way and welcome.
Pictures please!!
Old 08-14-2012

JordanH is on a distinguished road

I did that as well.
The surveyor did a substandard job. Since he "already knew" the boat, he skimmed over areas where I thought he should have paid more attention. He used his previous survey on the computer as a template and therefore I received many more mistakes on the forms than I'd like. i.e. The previous owner replaced something here or there and although it was noted during our discussion, the surveyor neglected to change it on the form.

I don't think that's a function of using the same surveyor but of sloppy work.

On the other hand, I had more insight about the boat's history as the surveyor told me about what he saw the last time around as well. some positive, some negative.
Old 08-14-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
There are two surveys, prepurchase and insurance. Make sure your surveyor is comfortable with this and doesn't double charge. Personally I would use a diffferent surveyor as those things overlooked the first time could be overlooked again. You'll also end up with a good comparison but must be tempered with the fact 4 years in boat years is like 20 human years; a lot of things change, especially in an older boat.
Old 08-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I don't see any inherent advantage, nor disadvantage. It totally depends on whether that surveyor has a good reputation for doing thorough and knowledgeable work. Four years is too long for the prior survey to have any impact or value on the new one. If the surveyor suggested otherwise, that would be a red flag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-15-2012

DINKS14 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! I made an addendum to my purchase and sale for an extra week so I can get the surveyor I want and it won't be such a scramble. This is my biggest purchase to date so I feel better doing exactly what I think is best.
Old 08-15-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

Dont you guys think it would be nice to get some fresh eyes on this boat. I would hire a new surveyor and get a fresh out look on this boat. At least you might be able to compair notes on the 2 surveyors!!
blowinstink likes this.
Old 08-16-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINKS14 View Post
Thanks everyone for the quick replies! I made an addendum to my purchase and sale for an extra week so I can get the surveyor I want and it won't be such a scramble. This is my biggest purchase to date so I feel better doing exactly what I think is best.
Absolutely, Dinks. And I agree with Marcel re: fresh eyes. And you've already got the other survey to provide history. Seems like the best of both.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 08-16-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINKS14 View Post
Thanks everyone for the quick replies! I made an addendum to my purchase and sale for an extra week so I can get the surveyor I want and it won't be such a scramble...
good move. while you are at it, be sure to schedule an engine evaluation by an independent mechanic, and a rigger to look over the standing rigging. Most hull surveyors exclude those areas from their survey as they appreciate the specialized knowledge each requires.
Old 08-16-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Using the same surveyor should be an advantage. He will be able to tell you that recommended fixes were done or not. He can also determine if the boat has deteriorated any since the last survey.

The primary purpose of a survey is to determine the condition of the vessel for purchase and insurance needs. The secondary and just as important purpose is to educate you about the vessel and it's systems.

In this area, I would highly recommend Tony Theriault. Theriault Marine Consulting - Marine Surveys & Yacht Services - Maine marine surveyor, consultant Tony Theriault
He did the survey on my Caliber and knows a lot about boats and ABYC code.
jameswilson29 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 08-16-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Tags
buying , gulfstar , survey

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.