SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Seaworthy Sailboat Help! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/91035-seaworthy-sailboat-help.html)

riverwind 08-16-2012 04:57 PM

Seaworthy Sailboat Help!

To start, I'll tell you my plans with the boat.
A friend and I, both 20 yrs old, and are experienced surfers and sailers. We've both always wanted to go on an adventure to wherever we might end up, meeting new people and surfing new breaks along the way. So the plan is to be crossing oceans as big as the pacific. Basically going around the world in a criss-cross, zig-zag pattern, stopping basically wherever we want.

We have a budget of no more than $25,000 for a boat, and want something small. 30' at the least, 40' at the most. Something the two of us can easily handle alone(while one of us is getting rest). We would preferably want a center-cockpit so that we can each have our own birth(aft-birth and v-birth). Obviously a functional galley will be needed, and at least one head w/ a shower. We'll be travelling with a couple boards each, and I realize a small boat is limited in terms of space, but somewhere to store our surfboards would be nice.
Most importantly, for our budget, we want the most seaworthy sailboat we can find. Advice from anyone and everyone is welcome! and Thank you!

riverwind 08-16-2012 05:02 PM

Re: Seaworthy Sailboat Help!

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I figured sailboat review would be fine, because it will basically be a review of any boats suggested.

jameswilson29 08-16-2012 05:14 PM

Since you are surfers, you should get an Olson 30 - it will surf. No functional kitchen ("galley") or head with shower, but it is fairly seaworthy. Welcome to your pipe berths and plywood bulkhead!

riverwind 08-16-2012 05:29 PM

Looking for a little more boat than that. thanks for the input though!

SeaQuinn 08-16-2012 06:54 PM

Have you ever sailed on the ocean? If not....I would suggest you offer to crew a few times before you buy a boat....that way you will know what you will want to have as far as size, systems, equipment and such, plus you will see if ocean travel really is for you. It will also help you to determine if your budget will cover the things you will need.
I have found that each person is different....what some consider essential is excess to others.

riverwind 08-16-2012 07:37 PM

I've crossed the pacific in my dads Macgregor 65. Sailed the Caribbean in a few cats, and when I was young, raised living on my parents O'Day 37. I know what I want as far as size, 30-40ft, and either already have all the equipment I need or know what I want. I just want suggestions and personal experiences of ocean going sailboats of this size within my budget so I have a place to start my search. I've already found a few I am considering. I just need a few suggestions to find something I may have missed or don't yet know of.

WDS123 08-16-2012 07:37 PM

New York 36

Santana 34

Santana 30

Schock 35

riverwind 08-16-2012 07:41 PM

Thanks I'll check those out!

zedboy 08-17-2012 10:47 AM

Better define what you mean by seaworthy - my boat doesn't leak a drop but that doesn't mean I'd want to sail it out of range of land and weather forcasts.

People on this site lean conservative - they tend to want a boat that can handle anything thrown at it if they're headed offshore. I.e. new(er) rigging if boat is used, carefully anchored chainplates, skeg-hung or keel-hung rudders, etc. You might see a lot of 30-something foot coastal cruisers in your pricerange that would be great family boats, but aren't built as conservatively.

paul323 08-17-2012 11:30 AM

Zedboy is correct...there are basically (no flaming please - I am talking in generalities about a very subjective subject!) 3 types of boat; racers, cruisers, and blue-water. Every sailboat can do some of each of these; I have an excellent coastal cruiser (i.e. seakindly, comfortable), lose most races (slow), and would not take her across the Pacific. Why? Risk tolerance. The boat is strong enough, and would probably make it, but there are dozens of changes I would need to make to ensure I would survive, say, a major storm. As I always say to folks - imagine you turn the boat upside down and shake it. How secure is everything down below? Anything come loose? Now imagine hitting the sides with a sledgehammer. Plastic windows - nope. I could go on....a true bluewater boat is built like a tank, and tends to be heaver, more solid, slower, smaller inside and more expensive than an equivalent-sized racer (e.g. Olson) or coastal cruiser.

The subject is very subjective. It all comes down to your tolerance of risk. Even within a manufacturer (e.g. Catalina) some models are more suitable to offshore than others - and many would argue (and have) that none are offshore boats!

I have to admit that in your shoes I would look for a solid coastal cruiser, and expect to take a few years coastal cruising to learn the ropes - and then, when you really know what you are doing, upgrade or replace the boat. Sail the Keys or the Caribbean. In your price range a solid 80's coastal cruising (e.g Pearson, Tartan) would be a good choice.