Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2004

casey1004 is on a distinguished road
problem with new boat

A couple of months ago I bought a 2001 Catalina 36... haven''t even sailed it yet and already I got a letter from the boat yard saying that the cutlass bearing needed replacing, and the strut was misaligned, and the shaft was a bronze shaft and should be replaced with stainless steel. When I called the broker who sold me the boat, he was baffled and said Catalina hasn''t used bronze for shafts in ages and didn''t know why the boat had a bronze shaft. the boat was surveyed and the survey said it was all fine.

Anyway, my question is, is it normal for a 2 year old boat to have cutlass bearing replaced, and would anyone know why the boat would have a bronze shaft?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2004

Sailmc is on a distinguished road
problem with new boat

Sounds like this boat might have been damaged and was improperly repaired. Unless the engine has an extreme number of hours for it''s age the cutlass bearing should still be good. As for the shaft I used to have a 95 Cat 36 and the shaft was stainless. Someone may not be telling the truth.
Old 02-16-2004

Cayman is on a distinguished road
problem with new boat

Sounds like the dealer that prepped the boat did not align the engine properly. This is not uncommon. It should be aligned on the hard before it is splashed, and then realinged after it has been in the water for at least 24 hours. If you run the engine much while it''s out of alignment it will ruin your cutlas bearing. The vibration can also loosen the strut over a period of time.
Old 02-16-2004

hamiam is on a distinguished road
problem with new boat

Before taking any steps recommended by the boat yard, call the surveyor and explain the situation to him. *IF* the cutlass bearing is, indeed, in need of replacement the surveyor should have caught this problem during his work; its as simple as wiggling the shaft and examing the strut and the bearing. Bronze shaft? That''s a new one to me. That''s not to say they dont exist. Given the short amount of time and the fact that the surveyor should have found this problem (if indeed there is a problem) I think it is justified to call the surveyor, ask him a few questions, and have him meet you at the boat to investigate the "problem." Surveyors are not infallible, however, a problem such as a non-standard shaft and a wore cutlass bearing are among the easier to catch. Good luck.