Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mobnets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012

greenwater456 is on a distinguished road
Beneteau 41 vs Jeanneau 41DS

I'm looking to make a purchase of one of the two above boats in the next few weeks.

I am located in Nova Scotia Canada, so the max season is 6 months, and more likely 5 (with a heater).

I am a very experienced and formally trained cruiser.

I am a Marine Surveyor (my business is in the 100m + range; I don't do small craft), so the particulars of Boats are not much of a mystery.

I am looking for some opinions and impressions by members who have any hands on experience with the above two (either / or / both).

I was able to get on the Beneteau 41 and am leaning very heavily towards it based on:

Cockpit Arch providing a better anchorage for Dodger and Bimini
Entry to cabin (easier for the Dog to handle)
Deletion of Teak on the Deck (I don't like the effort)
Third Cabin (Aft cabins are quite bright) - I would order the 3 cabin, two head deep keep option.

I have had a Jeanneau Fantasia 27' since new in 1986, I love the boat and it has been hands down the toughest, least maintenance, and best wearing boat I have ever been on - and that a big reason why I never changed or scaled up. I'm keeping it BTW. My experience with the Jeanneau is why I'm considering it so sincerely in the 41DS model.

The Jeanneau has some nice deck appointments (storage) and the aft cabin size is a plus; and I have had a very positive experience with my current boat.

The technical differences (on paper) between these boats are just about nil for a cruiser - I won't race and I wont sail with a pile of people, I am all about my personal comfort and convenience.

The problem for me is the Jeanneau 41DS has nothing "live" to view in the local market. The best the dealer can do is shown me a brand new 379 next week on arrival. Great - I see fit and finish, but without the walk around on the model I want I'm going on faith.

Price is a non issue the $20-30 k difference in price is no big deal; I don't have piles of spare time so reliability and lack of grief is critical. To be honest, I feel that the price difference is due much to the economies of scale in the mass production of the Beneteau vs. the longer process with the Jeanneau.

Any impressions (particularly picky points on either) that you have from hands on experience or any knowledge of reliability issues are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by greenwater456; 08-20-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Beneteau 41 vs Jeanneau 41DS

Lets put it this way, your fantasia is nothing like the current Jeanneau or beneteau in how either are made. A lot less solid wood if that is the way to put it, even a bit less plywood. The teak finish on both IIRC is a slivered teak that is made to look real. Kinda of one of those it is real, but not really. IE a way to keep cost down, just enough........Either you like it, or you do not. Just how some of the European boats are being made today.

Not sure if there is a Beneteau owners forum. but you can find a Jeanneau Owners Network Forum - Home and a http://jeanneau.tripod.com/

Folks that I know of that have the newer Jeanneaus do like them, as do the fewer folks that have beneteau's.

Marty
Old 08-20-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road

You may want to also look at the resale value of these.....which one holds up better? good to consider as partbof the equation, so that if you wanted to sell in five or ten years, your investment would be better protected.
Old 08-21-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I would also swag, that the 41ds is soo blinken new, that I would be surprised if one is local to look at! So you may have to go by what ever most recent sold Jeanneau your local dealer can show you. OR plan to travel down to the newport or equal of the first east coast fall boat shows, and check one out.

Marty
Old 08-21-2012

Mobnets is on a distinguished road

If I was about to make that kind of decision and investment I'd find out where the nearest one is and do a quick road (or plane) trip to take a look at it in person before making my final decision. Small expense in the big scheme of things IMHO.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"
SloopJonB likes this.

Tags
beneteau 41 , comparison , jeanneau 41ds , reliability