Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012

bgenader is on a distinguished road
Need new boat to accomodate old(er) body

We currently have a CNC 37 which is a lovely boat in so many ways. Unfortunately, as my partner and I head toward our mid sixties the steep companionway, difficulties climbin in out and around a v berth, etc are creating increasing challenges. My partner loves the classic lines of the CNC, has never had a boat other than a CNC and is reluctant to consider another make (read a little stubborn here). I would love some suggestions for a boat, probably between 35 a 45 feet, sloop rigged, CLASSIC lines with a more user friendly interior. I know some of the newer designs with wider beam, more prominent chine would fit the bill for the interior except we don't have the classic lines there. Price negotiable for the right boat. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Re: Need new boat to accomodate old(er) body

You might want to consider a gentlemen's daysailer - typically easy to sail, comfortable ergonomics, perfect for couples

Morris 36
Alerion 33
Schock Harbor 30

All have similar waterlines (approx: 26') and beams (9'11")
Old 08-23-2012

FSMike is on a distinguished road

I know you don't want to hear this, but multihulls are truly geriatric cruising boats. I'm in my late 60's with a beat up body, and I wouldn't be cruising, much less single-handing, if I had to be on a monohull.
This comes from somebody who lived for years on a double ended cutter with a gaff main, and no winches. She was pretty, but I couldn't do it now.
Old 08-23-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgenader View Post
We currently have a CNC 37 which is a lovely boat in so many ways. Unfortunately, as my partner and I head toward our mid sixties the steep companionway, difficulties climbin in out and around a v berth, etc are creating increasing challenges. My partner loves the classic lines of the CNC, has never had a boat other than a CNC and is reluctant to consider another make (read a little stubborn here). I would love some suggestions for a boat, probably between 35 a 45 feet, sloop rigged, CLASSIC lines with a more user friendly interior. I know some of the newer designs with wider beam, more prominent chine would fit the bill for the interior except we don't have the classic lines there. Price negotiable for the right boat. Thanks for your help.
In that size range, probably a Catalina would come closest to "classic" looking in a new boat. The old 42 had a pullman fore-cabin with the head in the V - very nice setup for a couple. Older Beneteaus, Jeanneaus etc have those looks as well as the more modern interiors etc.

If a pretty old boat would do, the C&C Landfalls in that size range were good, comfortable boats.

P.S. There's always the time honoured choice of moving to a trawler as well.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-23-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road

You may also want to consider the IP 420, it has the traditional looks but is very wide and comfortable inside. The master stateroom has an easy access bed and seats for dressing. A separate shower and spacious head compartments. The fold away table makes,the salon very roomy and easy to get around in. The galley is comfortable and easy to use even underway, with plenty of areas to brace against. There is a tremendous amount of storage and plenty of room for visitors as well.
Old 08-24-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

Check out

Schock Harbor 20

Schock Harbor 25

Schock Harbor 30

All are comfortable, easy to single Hand, yet nimble sailing boats
Old 08-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDS123 View Post
Check out

Schock Harbor 20

Schock Harbor 25

Schock Harbor 30

All are comfortable, easy to single Hand, yet nimble sailing boats
He said 35 to 45 feet - I think he wants a cruiser, not a daysailer.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-28-2012

rlltrash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I know you don't want to hear this, but multihulls are truly geriatric cruising boats. I'm in my late 60's with a beat up body, and I wouldn't be cruising, much less single-handing, if I had to be on a monohull.
This comes from somebody who lived for years on a double ended cutter with a gaff main, and no winches. She was pretty, but I couldn't do it now.
What kind of multihull are you sailing single-handed? Why is it easier on the old body?

Richard
Old 08-28-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Getting older? Trawler. Way easier in every aspect than a sailboat.
Old 08-31-2012

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlltrash View Post
What kind of multihull are you sailing single-handed? Why is it easier on the old body?

Richard
40' Norman Cross trimaran.

Little heeling, so easier to get around with my not very agile legs. Also, the sail area is usually less on a multi than a comparable length mono (cruising boats) so raising and trimming sails is easier. I spend a lot of time anchoring in shallow water (Bahamas), so less rode needs to be paid out/raised. There is something to be said for the concept that a lighter boat doesn't need as heavy ground tackle as a heavier boat, but let's not start an anchoring war.
I sail without roller furling or a windlass.

The main advantage to me is sailing on the level. There are some newer (and faster) tris that heel a good bit, but not mine. Being able to stand up comfortably at 7 knots is a treat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.