Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ccriders

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road
1981 Irwin 28.5

Greetings,

We are continuing our search for our first boat and almost had the one...we thought. It was a 1969 Albin Vega 27, but the owners changed their minds at the last moment. Oh well, their boat!

We are looking at a 1981 Irwin 28.5, Yanmar Deisel, wheel steering and in great shape? Searching for information someone said that the 28.5's were not built in the 80's...can someone please advise or confirm if that's in fact the case? What I've read indicates that the Irwin name and design is well respected.
Look forward to hearing from you guys and thanks!

Ron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: 1981 Irwin 28.5

Here's a previous thread with both subjective and third-party, professional, objective opinions on the quality of Irwin:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-b...-endeavor.html

Incidentally, why does your profile page indicate that you own a 1980 CS 27?

Last edited by jameswilson29; 08-24-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Here's a previous thread with both subjective and third-party, professional, objective opinions on the quality of Irwin:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-b...-endeavor.html

Incidentally, why does your profile page indicate that you own a 1980 CS 27?
Actually when I set up my profile I put that in because we were looking at one at the time. I'll remove that if I can!
Thanks,
Old 08-25-2012

Thanks for sending me to that thread. Although it really didn't answer my question directly. I felt like I read a debate between 2 individuals and just their personal thoughts.
I hope someone can help me with the construction "build" dates?

Cheers,
Old 08-25-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Six years ago I was looking for a boat in the 28 foot range and narrowed the hunt to Islander 28, Irwin 28.5, Ranger 28 and Pearson 28-1. They were all in the same price range. I quickly eliminated the Irwin 28.5 because in comparison with the others, it seemed underbuilt. Its spartan nature was very similar to the Pearson, only just a little nicer. The Islander had a sumptuous interior, but the two I looked at had serious repair issues associated with neglect and poor maintenance. Water intrusion does seriously bad things to fine wood interiors when left unattended in the hot Texas sun. The Rangers had been sailed very hard on the race course, were much more cramped in the interior and had problems with deck deformation at the mast step. Also, their Atomic Fours were history, which shows how well they were cared for.
So it ended up being the Pearson which has proved to be a simple, strong boat, fun to sail and easy to work on and to keep clean (except for the damned Heron dung). It has plenty of room for two adults and two children and will daysail four adults easily and overnight if you are not bashful. The amenities are spartan, but the only real negative is the stove. Hardly useable. However, I usually use it in the cockpit so as to keep the heat out of the cabin. Also, after getting more familiar with the Pearson, it has better support for the rudder and a rudder that is large enough and deep enough to control the boat in heavy weather.
I did not consider a boat in this size with a wheel - it destroys the useful space in the cockpit and isolates you from the jib winches when single handing. I did add a tiller pilot to help when singlehanding.
One boat I really liked, but could not find was a Tartan 27. It is actually a better design that the Albin Vega and has quietly racked up some very ambitious voyages.
If I were doing it again, I would be looking for something in the 32-34 foot range that has a good galley, a shower, and about 10,000 lbs displacement, better to punch through the bay chop so common here and better to take more friends and family for outings.
I assume you have developed your search criteria and know what you need for where you sail. However the Albin Vega and the Irwin are worlds apart and might indicate some unresolved desires/needs.
Good luck on your search.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 08-25-2012

Thanks ccriders,

It's really hard to decide if you are on the right track when buying your first boat. Thankfully there are these forums to get various opinions and reading others experiences. The Albin Vega stood out as such a great blue water cruiser but the cabin was small. You are right about the wheel steering and how it limits the cockpit floor space and practical sailing use.
Is it harder in the 27-29 foot boat size to find the right boat? I looked at a Islander 29 but it only had a table on the star board side, so limited sitting. I don't know soon as I find one that seems right, there is always one that you should be looking at.

I guess we will just keep searching!

Cheers,
Old 08-25-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Go to sailboatdata.com and you will probably find all the info you need on any boat.
Old 08-27-2012
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

I currently own an Irwin 28 mKIV and love it as a low-budget family coastal cruiser. You can read my detailed review (production, history, specs, etc.) here.

She's a great first boat (actually, my second boat) and will serve well as a weekender and small coastal cruiser. While the hull and deck hardware (oversized) is rugged enough, overall construction is probably on the light side and by my estimation on par for most mass-produced boats of the era competing for the same buyer. As with any coastal cruiser of this age, condition and owner maintenance is likely much more important than the manufacturer.

My boat is equipped with a tiller, and while I love the steering feel, it takes up a lot of room in the cockpit while sailing. At anchor or at the dock the tiller can be hinged back so it doesn't take up any room at all. If I had the choice, I'd prefer a wheel on this particular boat so that there is more room in the cockpit while under sail.

I spoke with Gene Gammons (former Irwin project manager and close friend of Ted Irwin) and was told the first I28 was built in 1970 with the last likely produced in the late 70's/early 80's. My boat is a 1978.

Here's a sample of the I28 review I wrote (referenced above):

"So what’s the take home message with all of these ratings, ratios and numbers? The Irwin 28 isn’t going to be the fastest sled for Wednesday night races (PHRF handicap rating of 213), but she’s likely a bit more comfortable (comfort rating of 26) and stable than other popular high volume production models from the same era. For example, the very popular Catalina 27 (std. rig) has a motion comfort rating of about 23.5 and a capsize ratio of 1.87. The O’day 28 has a motion comfort rating of 20.57 and a capsize ratio of 2.11. None of these boats are suitable as bluewater passagemakers, but they all make good coastal cruiser. Of the three, the Irwin may well be the most stable and comfortable while the O’day (PHRF handicap rating 204) would be a better choice if speed is a priority for your coastal cruise. The Catalina splits the difference (PHRF handicap rating 210).

In summary, the Irwin 28 is a fine coastal cruiser for those on a modest budget. She’s the perfect balance between the cramped accommodations of the 25-26 footers and the higher expenses of the ~30 footers of similar vintage. The slight spring in her sheerline coupled with a bit of teak on deck (handrails, forward hatch) and the modest stern overhang provide noticeable character. If you’re looking for an alternative to the similarly priced but more common 27-29 foot boats (Catalina 27, Hunter 27, O’day 28) of this age and price, check out an Irwin 28. She’s not a racer but she does offer good performance and accommodations for a small family looking for a friendly cruiser."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.