SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Dorades (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/91340-dorades.html)

jameso 08-25-2012 02:30 PM

Dorades

Why has their use fallen on new sailboats? I can't think of a single production boat with them, I was just looking at Bob Perry's blog (he hasn't been blogging much lately) and the 36 he has, beautiful boat, also doesn't have them~~james

Sabreman 08-25-2012 02:53 PM

Re: Dorades

I've wondered the same thing. I think that it's expensive to fashion the box for a mould. And I think that they're of marginal use. Before anyone jumps on me about venting the cabin, I will disclose that we have 6 dorade vents and I don't think that they do all that much. When we bought the boat, it was full of mold so the argument that they prevent mold is pretty much busted, IMO. My car doesn't have dorades and it's not moldy so I think that it's a traditional feature that's fallen by the wayside.

With all that said, when we bought the boat, we replaced all the nasty vinyl vents with stainless. It was a large expense, but really jazzed up the boat.

Pau Hana Daz 08-26-2012 01:56 AM

Our 20 year old IP has them and so do the brand new ones - Including the 360 new this year.

PorFin 08-26-2012 01:53 PM

Are you asking about dorade boxes or cowl vents in general?

Zanshin 08-26-2012 02:03 PM

My previous boat had 2 dorades and I miss them on the new boat. They would give me fresh air below even when the decks were being hit by spray.
The boxes that separate water from air need to be rather large to be effective and many might find that they look ungainly on a boat.

blt2ski 08-26-2012 02:12 PM

With some of the new venting options on hatches etc, dorades per say, may become of thing of the past. In that some of the newer options for venting boats are better, less sightly(opinion may vary on this one), in the way, and smaller in nature.

WHile they look salty, not sure I would "choose" to have them on a purpose built boat for me vs some of the other means of venting the cabin that work as well.

Marty

jameso 08-26-2012 11:12 PM

@porfin, speaking for the vents or dorates. My '77 Columbia 8.3 has two and water does get in one of them.

PorFin 08-27-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameso (Post 914568)
@porfin, speaking for the vents or dorates. My '77 Columbia 8.3 has two and water does get in one of them.

We've got two (one each to port/starboard just aft of the mast) and they work pretty hunky dory for us. The starboard one is in the head, and the port one is at the aft end of the forward berthing compartment. Keeping the two cowl's facing in opposite directions (preferably one into the wind and the other 180* off the wind) gets a nice cross ventilation going due to the Venturi effect of the cowl facing off of the wind.

Interesting that one of your leaks, but not the other. That would seem to indicate that your dorades are not undersized for the cowls. You may want to take a peek inside the dorade box to make sure there's nothing stuck in there or otherwise amiss. It could also be that the bottom of the cross piece is no longer sealed to the deck, which kind of makes the design OBE. Of course, they're not gonna take a lot of green water without leaking, but should be able to handle rain and spray.

sck5 08-27-2012 01:00 PM

I put some on my boat this past winter and they work great. If one is leaking check to see if there is an obstruction inside. It happened to me but was easily fixed.