Any advice on selecting a listing broker? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-26-2012 Thread Starter

Any advice on selecting a listing broker?

I'm getting ready to put my boat up for sale but really have no clue as to what questions to ask or what to look for in a listing broker. I mean, I figure I want to know that he or she has been selling boats for a while and that (ideally) they know something about my type of boat, but beyond that?

Any advice?

My sailboat is in Annapolis, so if anyone has some specific suggestions those would be welcome too.

Thanks!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-27-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

Re: Any advice on selecting a listing broker?

Yes, here is a good question: "why should I use you instead of selling the boat myself?"
post #3 of 7 Old 08-27-2012

I purchased my current boat in Annapolis through Annapolis Yacht Sales 7 years ago, Tim Wilbricht was the broker. I knew the seller and the boat before I purchased it, so it wasn't a hard sell.
But Tim did an excellent job handling all the paperwork, was very communicative, and followed up. If nothing more, it's a place for you to start.

Tempest
Sabre 34
Morgan, NJ
post #4 of 7 Old 08-27-2012
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I purchased my current boat in Annapolis through Annapolis Yacht Sales 7 years ago, Tim Wilbricht was the broker. I knew the seller and the boat before I purchased it, so it wasn't a hard sell.
But Tim did an excellent job handling all the paperwork, was very communicative, and followed up. If nothing more, it's a place for you to start.
Tim Wilbricht would be an excellent choice. Probably your best choice.

Please note that I'm saying this as a person who PURCHASED a boat from him. He was very helpful, honest and follows through with communication and promises. I can't say this about most of the other brokers I have dealt with.

Because of my experience as a buyer, he would be my first choice as a listing agent if I was in his area.

If you choose to speak with him please tell him I said hello and that I recommended him highly.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-27-2012

You may also want to consider what the broker tells you he feels he can sell your boat for. Some brokers are not even taking listings for boats that they can not make a certain cutoff commission on. You really can't blame them in this economy either. sometimes it takes the same amount of time, legwork and paperwork to sell the more expensive yachts as the cheaper ones.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-27-2012

In multiple deals, I have had excellent experiences with Rod Rowan at Cruisader Yacht Sales in Annapolis, and with the folks at Annapolis Yacht Sales. If the boat is a 'serious cruising boat' you might also talk to Bernie Jakits at Rogue Wave.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #7 of 7 Old 08-27-2012 Thread Starter

Thanks for the leads. I'll start by contacting Tim and Rod. The boat is a Nonsuch 26, so I don't think it fits the criteria for Rogue Wave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.