SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

looking for surveyor in Boston area

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sailingfool 
#1 ·
Looking for a good surveyor to look at a boat on Boston''s South Shore. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Cheers,
-HeavyDe

#2 ·
Tony Knowles is highly recommended, works on a per day basis - since he was busy for the next two weeks I went with someone else on my last boat - big mistake $$$$! Only hire a busy, busy surveyor - be happy to wait!

Anthony Knowles
Newport Marine Surveyors Group
7 Baldwin Road
Middletown, Rhode Island
401-849-1560-O, 401-849-1074-Fax
tksurvey@cox.net
Specialty: Yachts, Small Craft

#4 ·
As to the rate, I guess about twice what you''d pay the average surveyor for half a day''s work.
If you''re spending $30-40K or more for a boat, spend $800 for an expert surveyor, as any boat can easily have situations not obvious to an average surveyor, that can easily cost you $10-20K in repairs, unless you think you can dump them onto another un-suspecting buyer.
Think of a big boat purchase as playing financial Russian roulette, where I think the average odds of getting finacially killed are worse than 1 in 6. Only an expert surveyor (think expensive and hard to schedule) can reduce the odds so you should take the plunge.
If you don''t feel you can spend $800 to know what you''re getting into, you definately won''t like the big numbers coming up later in your ownership...

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.