Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012

idsog is on a distinguished road
Shopping for 22-26' Sailboat - looking for suggestions

Hi everyone - new to SailNet.

I live in CT on the Western LI Sound. I am looking for a 22-26 foot sailboat with a fin keel, skeg hung rudder, outboard power, and tiller steering. Needs to be able to sail in relatively light winds but also handle ok in 15-20 kts. Roller furling is a nice, but not must have. Needs to be reasonably family friendly - not too tender, dry (I have a 4 year old who I'd like to have on the boat). Seaworthiness and good build quality are important to me. I am willing to spend $8K for the right boat.

At the top of my list are Seafarers (22-24') as they are the one boat that I've found that meets that spec.

Would be grateful for any suggestions that you all might have. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: Shopping for 22-26' Sailboat - looking for suggestions

I think you need to keep shopping and be cautious about Seafarers in that size. Seafarers did not develop a great reputation for build quality and any one of them you look at should be closely inspected. They are a lot like Hunters and Catalinas in that size
Also, 22-24 feet seems pretty small for Long Island Sound. That size boat will have a maximum hull speed of less than 5 kts and there are a lot of places on LIS where tidal currents are over 5 kts, which can make for a very long afternoon trying to get back to the harbor.
Also, for $8,000 you should be able to get more boat than a 22-26 footer, so look around.
Although not scientifically based, I developed a therom that you should not sail in wind speeds in mph that exceed your waterline length unless you are really ready for a boisterous time.
Again, nothing scientific here, just my take on your question.
If you can find a Lyle Hess Bristol Channel Cutter, then that would be one small boat that would be up to the conditions on LIS.
Old 09-05-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

I bought a 1981 Seafarer 26 on August 4 of this summer.

We launched on the day of purchase and have been sailing almost daily since. We have a 3 year old and he's been on the boat every time with us, spending two full weekends on board with us.

I am very glad that we did not go smaller than 26. Also, having the inboard Yanmar is extremely convenient and easy to use. We step onto the boat from the dinghy and can be off the mooring and under sail within 5 minutes. When trying to squeeze in a sail after work in the evening, this is important. Also, the roller furling is awesome, and I would not overlook this, especially if one parent is basically sailing solo while the other tends to the kid.

As for build quality, in the research I did on Seafarers I am perfectly comfortable and confident in the original build quality, but you'll read just about anywhere that for a boat of this age, the maintenance and care that has been done over the years is far more important.

FYI-- I paid $6,500 for this boat and literally sailed away from the closing (which we did on a picnic table next to the launch) and have had no "must do" items since that time. I do expect to do a few things over the winter, however.

If you have any questions specific to the Seafarer, or anything else, feel free to ask.
Old 09-05-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Catalina 25 Tall Rig/Fin Keel Sailboat
Catalina 25 Sailboat * Reduced Price * Must Sell This Weekend OBO
Not sure why this 30'er is so cheap. No motor mentioned:
1972 Tartan 30

Hunter 25' Sailboat
1978 San Juan 24 Sailboat for sale

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2012

MarkCK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
I think you need to keep shopping and be cautious about Seafarers in that size. Seafarers did not develop a great reputation for build quality and any one of them you look at should be closely inspected. They are a lot like Hunters and Catalinas in that size
Also, 22-24 feet seems pretty small for Long Island Sound. That size boat will have a maximum hull speed of less than 5 kts and there are a lot of places on LIS where tidal currents are over 5 kts, which can make for a very long afternoon trying to get back to the harbor.
Also, for $8,000 you should be able to get more boat than a 22-26 footer, so look around.
Although not scientifically based, I developed a therom that you should not sail in wind speeds in mph that exceed your waterline length unless you are really ready for a boisterous time.
Again, nothing scientific here, just my take on your question.
If you can find a Lyle Hess Bristol Channel Cutter, then that would be one small boat that would be up to the conditions on LIS.
I am not sure I agree with this theory, but for a beginner it probably isn't bad advice
Old 09-06-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

C&C 24 or 25 would fit too, aside from the skeg rudder part, don't know how important that is to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-08-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road

I was in a slip next to a 1983 Hunter 25, in 1983, and I was very impressed with that boat. I even took the newby owner out on his boat on a day when it was blowing like stink, and was really impressed how well it sailed under a double reefed main and a reefed jib. I never saw any other boat with a reefable jib, but worked really well. There is one at the same marina now, I think it may be the same boat, and looks to be in very nice condition.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 09-08-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I'd second the catalina 25. Tough boat up to 30 knots of wind, easy to get parts, and sails nice.

The capri 25 is the light air winner, but build quality is low on the list, and it could be called tender too.

If you can do smaller, and the rudder isn't top on the list, the Capri 22 is a good light air boat too, and in your price range. Both Capri's are decent up to 25 knots wind, if properly trimmed.

Tons of other boats in consideration including precision 23, or 21... others outside your price range, but might better fit...

Hunter 23.5? Hunter 25.5, S2 7.9 (probably prices you out there), Compac 23 (might also price you out)?

Hopefully we've given you some boats to look at.

Tags
fin keel , long island sound , seafarer , skeg rudder