Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012

juddgefizzy is on a distinguished road
Lightning Buying Tips/Suggestions

Hey, all, I recently started searching for a Lightning 19 after looking at some other daysailors and small cruisers. I live in Denver, so trailering is a big factor and there's a local Lightning fleet, so some weekly racing would be a nice option. I'm also interested in Scots as well, but my question would probably apply to both:

In my search I'm coming across wooden older hulls (#12000s) along with the new(ish) glass boats (#14000+). Does anyone out there have experience with both? Pros/cons? Should I avoid wooden hulls altogether? What should I look for when inspecting? Since I'm looking at a lot of out of state boats some basic questions to ask sellers would help a lot.

Also, my budget is around $8k, if that helps. I'm looking for a solid platform that I can improve on over time with new components and gear. So not quite a project boat, but one that's worth customizing, if that makes sense. I just want to avoid buying something that's not worth upgrading long term.

Thanks for the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Lightning Buying Tips/Suggestions

Used Lightnings

Having owned #11416 (fiberglass hull) for a few years I'll comment.
I believe that some of the 'woody' Lightnings are raced competitively in the Nationals.
While the wooden boats are beautiful they will be more work to maintain over time.

You probably want to get a Lightning that is 'racing rigged', that is, with ALL the sail shape controls. You might find a few that are simply rigged for day sailing that might be cheaper. You could then add the extra controls and route them to the cockpit per class rules.

$8K is a pretty sizable budget for a Lightning (IMHO). In the link posted above you can find some slightly older fiberglass Lightnings for ~ $2K. With the money you save on the purchase price you could get some new sails.

Condition of trailer should be important to you.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2012

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been trolling the class site quite a bit, the biggest problem for me being in Denver is I can't actually go see most of the listings, being 1000 miles away or so, which forces me to try to figure out a boat's quality over email. Kinda dodgy with older boats.

I do have a couple of local leads that I'm going to go check out but I appreciate the feedback on the woody's, I'll keep all that in mind.
Old 09-05-2012

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

I have a glass one stainless board all the adjustment control lines on a nice trailer with 15 inch rims $1500 obo. Down side Grand Rapids Michigan.
Old 09-05-2012

Hey there, can you email me the hull number, sail info (age, brand, etc) and any photos you have? How's the hull condition? If it's in good shape it might be worth a road trip.

My email is jmercer(at)elevatedthird.com
Old 09-05-2012

Will send in a hour or so.
Old 09-06-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

The nice thing about a plastic, or glass hulled Lightning is that it can be repaired simply with mostly a sander and a boat snot kit (epoxy and cloth etc).
When woodies start to leak and absorb water then you have bigger problems.

I'd suggest you start with a modest priced glass hulled boat like the guy from Michigan is offering and spend your surplus on the good stuff, like new sails, running rigging, spit, polish and varnish.

It seems that a brand new Lightning, set up for racing with all the bells and whistles will cost you close to $30K - judging by some of the newer hulls resale asking prices. There is no reason I can think of to buy a brand new hull when a serviceable one could be had for a few $K and you could make it a good racing/sailing platform for you.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-06-2012

Thanks man, I think that's the approach I'm going to take. When I eventually find the right one I'm sure I'll be posting again for some upgrade suggestions.
Old 09-06-2012

Found a couple more $2500 bay city mich $1800 ann arbor mich. Not much your way yet. Have you asked around the local fleet those guys usually keep track?
Old 09-06-2012

Yes, I'm in contact with our local fleet captain and have a couple to look at in the area. If you have links to the ones you mentioned that'd be awesome. Thanks for the heads up!

Tags
lightning class sailboat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.