Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012

rlltrash is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Faster than a Cal 20

I am looking for a small keel boat to sail out of Long Beach, CA - which has a bit more wind than most other places in southern California. There are lots of Cal 20's here and good competitive racing in that class, but the boat is quite slow. A little farther north in Los Angeles (Marina del Rey) there are some Martin 242's, which is a much faster boat. However, I understand that the M 242's can be quite a handful in the Long Beach winds. You don't see many Santana 20's here either, probably for the same reason.

I am more interested in coastal day sailing than racing, but still want to race (PHRF) from time to time. Can you suggest some other small keel boats that can handle a moderate breeze and sail faster than a Cal 20? I would like a 18' - 20' boat but, since speed increases with length, that may be difficult (unless I get a lifting keel "sports boat.") In any event, I would like to keep it about 25' or less if possible. What do you think? ** I forgot to mention Single-handed sailing. The boat need to be suitable for that, too. **

Thanks, Richard

Last edited by rlltrash; 09-12-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Faster than a Cal 20

We owned a Martin 242 for 15 years in a windy area.. they are manageable once you get the hang of it.. great, responsive boat for not too much money.

Back into the 20 foot range I'd look at the Santana 20 or 525, maybe a Holder 20 if you can find one, or a Hotfoot 20 (later refined to an Ultimate 20). The Ranger 22 is another similar boat.

A Mull Ranger 23 would be another good candidate with better manners than those mentioned above. The Ranger models should be easy to find in SoCal.

Check out the Rangers and others here: http://sailboatdata.com/view_builder.asp?builder_id=49

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-09-2012
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Ranger 23 or Sanatana 22. Well built boats, very popular (meaning there are lots of them around) and faster than a Cal 20. But let's face it- just about anything is faster than a Cal 20.
Old 09-09-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

How about an Ultimate 20 or U-24?
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 09-10-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a J/24. Don't they have them in CA?
Old 09-10-2012

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

Moore 24 or Olson 25
Old 09-10-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
Moore 24 or Olson 25
Those were gonna be my next two suggestions.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 09-12-2012

rlltrash is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for the replies. They have been quite helpful.

The following boats are all regarded as being relatively fast: Holder 20, Ultimate 20, Ultimate 24, Martin 242, Moore 24, Olson 25, Santa Cruz 27, Express 27, J/22, J/24, J/80. Over half of them were noted above. Which are the best for single-handed sailing? I have been told that a Martin 242 is not a good solo boat because it is too high performance. (Is that right, Faster?) Are some of the others also quite a handful and/or require more crew weight?

Which of these would you most like to sail single-handed? Which might be the poorest solo boat?

How about "sport boats"? Boats like the: Melgas 24, Open 5.70, Pogo 2, Rocket 22, Viper 640, and VX-One. (The Ultimate 20 & 24 are also in this class, I believe.) Several people have told me that the Viper 640 is not good for single-handing. On the other hand, several people have told me that the Open 5.70, Pogo 2, and VX-One are good for solo sailing and the two Ultimate boats are suggested above. Do any of you have any experience with single-handing any of these sport boats?

All comments are welcome.

Thanks, Richard
Old 09-12-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Many 242s are singlehanded around here, but not on a regular basis.. the biggest issues are the deck layout (jib winches are on the cabintop) and boat's reliance of some crew ballast. OTOH the boat's basic 3 sail program (no genoas, no sailchanges) are a plus.

However for the uninitiated I don't think any of these hi perf boats would be considered 'good solo boats' by most. The Open 5.70 and Pogo are likely conceived for singlehanded ocean racing, but they rely on extremely experiences sailors too (I'm not saying you're not one, btw...).

"Faster than a Cal 20" was the original concept, and a lot of boats will fit that criteria. I'd favour the Ranger 23/26 and their more sedate cousins for singlehanding, esp if occasional overnighting was on the menu.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-13-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

Single handing ?

Harbor 20
or
Ultimate 20

Ask the Lido 14 group at ABYC - Paul M. or Amanda