SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   New production boat interior finishing and repair prior to comissioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/91935-new-production-boat-interior-finishing-repair-prior-comissioning.html)

turban10 09-10-2012 10:53 AM

New production boat interior finishing and repair before commissioning

Okay, before I begin, I don't want to start another Benihuntalina flame war but I have a question rewarding the interior finishing on new productions boats.

I went to an in-water boat show in Chicago this past weekend. They had a number of production boats on display in the 35 - 45 foot ranges. These included Hunters, Catalinas, Beneteau, and Jeanneau. Since I have been reading these threads and know just how err, "passionate" people get about these production boats, I have been quite curious just how they were finished on the inside.

I did not see too much to dislike from the exterior assembly. However it becase quickly clear that on the inside, the joinery and finishing was better on some than others (as expected).

One thing that did disappoint me was the Jeanneau. While the Beneteau (its sister company) right next to it didn't have anything that struck me as particularly egregious, the way the interior sealant was applied to the headliner and bulkhead seams on the Jeanneau left a lot to be desired. It just looked bad, and not something that should be allowed past QA. While it may not create any safety issues, it just turns away potential customers.

So the questions from this newbie to the more knowledgeable on this forum are: Does the quality of finishing vary from boat to boat, or is this matter of a specific manufacturer's production methods?
And if it does vary from boat to boat, will boat manufacturers fix these issues for the owner prior to commissioning?
What have your experiences been with new boats and their manufacturers?

ParadiseParrot 09-10-2012 11:01 AM

Re: New production boat interior finishing and repair prior to comissioning

Once they get your money they will want to keep as much as possible. Anything that you don't like have fixed before check is written.

As far as a Flame war I think your making to much of that. IT boils down to use.

A certain subset "cruisers mostly" use there boats in such a way as to turn Benihuntalina's into a pile of trash in short order. Others will gunhole there area every summer for 40 years quite happily with them. Hull thickness and construction techniques as well as hull to deck joints and chain plate attachment etc show up pretty fast with blue water passages. Yacht shipment via shipping company's is very popular with Benihuntalina owners...and with good reason.

rugosa 09-10-2012 11:17 AM

Re: New production boat interior finishing and repair before commissioning

Quote:

Originally Posted by turban10 (Post 920482)
Okay, before I begin, I don't want to start another Benihuntalina flame war but I have a question rewarding the interior finishing on new productions boats.

I went to an in-water boat show in Chicago this past weekend. They had a number of production boats on display in the 35 - 45 foot ranges. These included Hunters, Catalinas, Beneteau, and Jeanneau. Since I have been reading these threads and know just how err, "passionate" people get about these production boats, I have been quite curious just how they were finished on the inside.

I did not see too much to dislike from the exterior assembly. However it becase quickly clear that on the inside, the joinery and finishing was better on some than others (as expected).

One thing that did disappoint me was the Jeanneau. While the Beneteau (its sister company) right next to it didn't have anything that struck me as particularly egregious, the way the interior sealant was applied to the headliner and bulkhead seams on the Jeanneau left a lot to be desired. It just looked bad, and not something that should be allowed past QA. While it may not create any safety issues, it just turns away potential customers.

So the questions from this newbie to the more knowledgeable on this forum are: Does the quality of finishing vary from boat to boat, or is this matter of a specific manufacturer's production methods?
And if it does vary from boat to boat, will boat manufacturers fix these issues for the owner prior to commissioning?
What have your experiences been with new boats and their manufacturers?

Hey, some boats are built on Fridays. My experience working builders, commissioning their boats and servicing them after the sale - sales people will make promises others (service/factory) have to keep (been on both ends of that) in order to close the deal, some will ignore the objection feeling that if it doesn't come up again it will go away, some that have been on the production/service end will work to remedy the problem, and some will offer to enhance the deal in order to get you to get you to comnpromise and close. In the long run it boils down to the integrity of the sales person and his/her dealer. NO, IT SHOULD NEVER GET PAST QC, but it often does. In this day and age, and considering the sales ratio of new boats to resales can be in the range of 1:40 (higher?) factory QC should correct it up at all stages of production and definitely before the boat rolls out the door, PLUS the dealer should QC the boat before they take deliver. If you accept the boat in less than your opinion of perfect condition you could be faced with a buyer in the futurer that has even higher standards than you, and suffer on the sale price. Of course, depending on what you are buying/spending the product and builder position may vary. So I feel anyway . . .