Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2004

slimqs is on a distinguished road
Irwin 34'''' 1982, questions?

1982 IRWIN 34''

I am not very knowlegable about sailboats but I am looking at buying this boat. The condition seems to be decent but some rust on motor. Does anyone have any opinions about this boat for a liveaboard cruiser to be used in florida and bahamas. Any thoughts about this boat would be helpful.

P.S. - I am on email list already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Like Hunters and Catalinas today, in their day, Irwins were boats that were ''value oriented'' by which I mean that the offered an awful lot of boat for the dollar, albeit at the price of compromises that impacted build quality and to a mush lesser extent sailing ability.

I believe that all of the 34''s were Citations. The Citation series was intended to offer a higher preformance and a slightly better build quality, than some of Irwin''s other model lines. The 34 was designed independently of the racing rule trends of the late 1970''s and so were better mannered than some of the more IOR influenced designs of that era. At some point in the early 1980''s the Irwin Citations were upgraded (at least according to Irwin''s sales reps of that era).

The 34 has a nice workable interior with an especially nice galley for a 34 footer. Although a victim of the "angularity" fad, the extesively angled interior layout would appear to work more successfully than other angled design schemes that I have seen.

While I am not a big fan of the rig proportion (big jibs with a small very high aspect ratio mainsail) on the Irwin, the rig seems to work well with the hull form in a wide range of conditions. The deep draft versions seem to go to windward quite well and even the shoal draft version are not too bad.

With regards to the negatives, Irwins had a reputation for mediocre glass work and less than perfect engineering. As was the practice with most boat builders of that era, almost everything was optional so you find these boats with tiny winches and a variety of deck plans that work with varying degrees of success. The stock wheel was sized to permit ease in passing around it but is so small that visibility of the jib liff is a little restricted. Systems were generally done inexpensively and so should be thoroughly checked by a surveyor as these boats are now 20 years old. 1982 was still deeply in the middle of the blistering period and Irwins of that era had a reputation for being susceptable to blistering pretty severely. Unless the previous owner has diligently upgraded and maintained the boat, twenty year old boats are bound to need a whole collection long term maintenance and upgrades.

In a general senseI would say that these are good coastal cruisers reasonably priced for what they offer. If you looking to learn to sail on this boat, it is a very large boat to learn on and so the learning process will be greatly lengthened and much more difficult than it might be with a smaller boat. These are reasonably responsive boats which is a good thing, but any 34 footer is powerful enough that you are more likely to get yourself into trouble that you can''t simply manhandle. The would be pretty low on my list for a liveaboard cruiser and for the kinds of offshore work implied in a ''bad'' crossing to the Bahamas but Irwin 34''s have been used in that manner before and I am sure will be again in the future.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 03-24-2004

pdshipl is on a distinguished road

I own a 1980 34'' and agree with above statement. However, I love the boat and have shipped it everytime I relocated for work. I purchased it in Toms River NJ 6 years ago and it has sailed South Jersey, Lake Mead Las Vegas and now berths & sails in San Fransico Bay. My wife and kids spend extended weekends on it and it''s the best bang for the buck interior wise,in our minds, for the size. Sails great in all weather but i try not to sail in winds over 25+++ with kids aboard as even with reefed 150% genoa boat is still tender in a blow. We have keel model and I sail it single handed 80% of the time. I have used Amaron industrial products (a lot better then interlux/pettit and cheaper) as sealer under the anti-fouling paint and never had blisters (lake mead was 80++ water temps). Problems not noted above - 1)irwin V.E.''d engine - should have been at least 20hp, but ours is a 15 Yanmar (great motor though)
2)plastic ports LEAK and after time will rot interior teak ply (which we replaced and restained to match remaining ply). 3)back chain plate has reputation for developing cracks - check it out 4) plastic access plate to rudder post may leak (because you stand on it while at helm)and water then runs down a stainless mounting brace and will rot seat bulkheads 5) lots of gel coat cracks over time 6)not easy to replace caulked-in main 2 Lexan windows 7)check thru-deck chain plates mounted on main bulkheads for rot 8) when out of water/on blocks, hull has soft spot under kitchen (starboard) area. All that said, we really love the boat (head room,, berth layout, high bow, somewhat sound hull yadda) and for the $30 to $35k you''ll probably spend, you cant match it for performance and compfort.
Old 03-24-2004

pdshipl is on a distinguished road

Oh yea, one more minor negative we''ve found out the hard way- it''s almost impossibe to control backing/reversing in a light breeze. Not sure if it''s because of keel, or rudder (or captain)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.