Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2004

MDDesperado is on a distinguished road
Surveyors in Galveston, TX

I''m buying a boat located in Galveston, and have been given the names of Mike Firestone, Roy Newberry, Drake Eppel and Jay Stormer as possible surveyors.

Can anyone vouch for the competency of any of these individuals...or alternatively, can you suggest someone else you know to be good?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2004

neworlsailer is on a distinguished road

I used a surveyor from Kemah--just up the bay--in December ''03 and was very satisfied. He spent a day on the boat I ultimately purchased.
Louis Stahlberg of Summers & Associates, 281-334-6844
Old 03-04-2004

JimandJo is on a distinguished road

I know of Summers, Firestone, and Newberry. I have used Newberry and Summers on two seperate boats, and was very happy with their work.

Roy has chatted with me on numerous occasions on how best to handle my restoration of "Resurrection" (www.shoreacresboatworks.com) and what similar restorations had run into and did the initial out of the water bottom survey. He also did my previous boat, a Westerly 36. However, with a hurricane fast approaching and the insurance options closing, and Roy out of town, I had to have Summers finish the survey. They provided detailed information, plus a seperate hint sheet on little things I could do to improve its value or meet regatta requirements, as well as a CD of the pictures they had taken during the survey. Very competent work...

Mike Firestone is a very big name (great reputation) in these parts, and regularly contributes to the local sailing papers with information on maintenance, etc. He is also called upon by Lakewood Yacht club to present information on preparations for the Harvest Moon - the biggest Regatta on the Gulf Coast - each year. I would not hesitate to use any of the three. I know nothing of the other two, either good or bad, so please do not take it as a bad thing. I just don''t know anything about them, and could not make any kind of a recommendation.
Old 03-11-2010

coloradoblue is on a distinguished road
Selecting a Surveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDDesperado View Post
I''m buying a boat located in Galveston, and have been given the names of Mike Firestone, Roy Newberry, Drake Eppel and Jay Stormer as possible surveyors.

Can anyone vouch for the competency of any of these individuals...or alternatively, can you suggest someone else you know to be good?
Buying a boat - use Mike Firestone

S
Old 03-11-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Doubt he much cares as if he hasn't bought the boat by now, he's in trouble. The post you're replying to is SIX YEARS OLD Please do check dates before replying. and read the post in my signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoblue View Post
Buying a boat - use Mike Firestone

S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.