SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   New Boat Search Begins (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/92250-new-boat-search-begins.html)

SloopJonB 09-19-2012 01:15 PM

New Boat Search Begins
 
I sold my Columbia 43 on Saturday - easiest sale of anything I ever experienced. I got a call from a guy asking if he could meet me at the boat last Saturday. When he showed up, he introduced himself and handed me a cashiers cheque for the full asking price. :cool:

Apparently the 43 has been his dream boat since they were new and he had been watching the ad since I posted it, hoping it wouldn't sell before he got the money together. He once worked for Whitby Boat Works and his job was rolling on gelcoat non-skid - exactly what my boat needs after the deck core repairs - good Karma or what?

Anyhoo, that is by way of lead in to the fact that I am currently boatless :eek: with a pocketful of cash and looking seriously for my next boat. ;) I'll be checking out a Jeanneau Attalia at Sewells tonight - it's a bit on the small side but it's just around the corner from my home.

So - anybody on SN in the Vancouver area with a boat in the vicinity of 32' - 10K Lbs WITH MOORAGE that is interested in selling?

Other than that basic size vicinity, I have no idea what I want - I like most of them out there so it will simply be a case of falling in love. The only non-negotiables are; glass or composite, an inboard, shaft drive and stand up headroom in the head (I'm over 6'). Scruffy is O/K, even desirable if it's priced accordingly but no project boats - I'm too old to do any more bulkhead replacements, re-core jobs, engine swaps, keel mountings and so forth. From now on maintenance and customizing a sound boat will satisfy my creative urges.

If anybody local thinks they have something that might fit, please P.M. me.

kwaltersmi 09-19-2012 03:09 PM

Re: New Boat Search Begins
 
I've looked at a couple of Columbia 43's here in the Great Lakes recently. I've been impressed with the layout/room of the cabin, but the cored hull has been an issue with both.

Best of luck with your search and don't forget to enjoy the process!

olson34 09-19-2012 06:02 PM

Re: New Boat Search Begins
 
There is a well equipped Olson 34 down in Olympia that just came onto the market. I have been cruising a sister ship for almost 15 years. Solid Ericson Yachts-built boat with a full-on cruising interior and great handling and speed on the outside.
Link:
1988 Olson 34, Edgewalker For Sale

Happy Hunting!

L

ps: you could possibly buy ours, but I don't think the Admiral will allow me to sell it!
:)

blt2ski 09-19-2012 11:33 PM

Re: New Boat Search Begins
 
Sloop,

Not having been aboard and Attalia, but my Arcadia is 2' shorter, same vintage etc.

Some things to look for.....
Foam backed vinyl hull lining may be rotted. WHile a doable fix, not fun. I can get you a link to the repair on the Jeanneau-owners site. Which by the way has over 4000 owners listed for all sizes shapes and forms of the boat.

They can be initially tender, but do harden up to a degree. You may have to reef earlier than you did with your current boat. You will want the mast pretty upright, do not lean it back, or you will get some weather helm, or at least mine is that way! I have a Castro desing, vs the attalia being a Joubert et Nivelt design. Can not say I have heard a lot about him, but Jeanneau used many designers in the 80's. They did not use a single designers as they seem to do today.

Wood work is as good as any from that time frame. Easy to work on, varnish etc. Not all solid per say, but teak plywood for the most part, with solid wood along edges etc.

One can still get the factory rigging etc. But I have a feeling most of us have done as I have, replaced the std Goiot gear with Harken/lewmar etc that is easier to find and buy.

I have not heard of any blister issues from jeanneau boats in general from that time period either.

There will not be hot and cold water IIRC, nor is there a shower on board.

Here is a dutch? site with a link to a owners manual and design specs. I can not find a brochure even at the main jeanneau site.

Marty

SloopJonB 09-23-2012 05:38 PM

Re: New Boat Search Begins
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by blt2ski (Post 924252)
Sloop,

Not having been aboard and Attalia, but my Arcadia is 2' shorter, same vintage etc.

Some things to look for.....
Foam backed vinyl hull lining may be rotted. WHile a doable fix, not fun. I can get you a link to the repair on the Jeanneau-owners site. Which by the way has over 4000 owners listed for all sizes shapes and forms of the boat.

They can be initially tender, but do harden up to a degree. You may have to reef earlier than you did with your current boat. You will want the mast pretty upright, do not lean it back, or you will get some weather helm, or at least mine is that way! I have a Castro desing, vs the attalia being a Joubert et Nivelt design. Can not say I have heard a lot about him, but Jeanneau used many designers in the 80's. They did not use a single designers as they seem to do today.

Wood work is as good as any from that time frame. Easy to work on, varnish etc. Not all solid per say, but teak plywood for the most part, with solid wood along edges etc.

One can still get the factory rigging etc. But I have a feeling most of us have done as I have, replaced the std Goiot gear with Harken/lewmar etc that is easier to find and buy.

I have not heard of any blister issues from jeanneau boats in general from that time period either.

There will not be hot and cold water IIRC, nor is there a shower on board.

Here is a dutch? site with a link to a owners manual and design specs. I can not find a brochure even at the main jeanneau site.

Marty

Thanks. I checked it out - pretty nice boat but it was too small & tender. I want something a little more substantial. There seemed to be a lot of non-specific water damage, like dripping sails had been stuffed below regularly or something. I also did NOT like the way the chainplates were hidden away under those nice moulded "knees".

How many of you are like me and don't like the "overly finished" interiors that contemporary boats come with? By that I mean all the fasteners for everything covered up and so forth. I really like to see the mountings of winches, cleats, chainplates and so forth. Nice polished backing plates and polished acorn nuts look far more appropriate to me than an interior that's detailed like a car.

SeaQuinn 09-23-2012 09:13 PM

Re: New Boat Search Begins
 
Don't know if a 30' S2 9.2 CC is of interest.....I am getting ready to put it on the market.

It is still on the hard, had the bottom painted after we moved it from Lake Lanier to Cheasapeake ....all new wiring in the Mast....hasn't been put back on yet, so could be easily transported. Spent most of its life in fresh water.
| S2 9.2CC Sailboat

blt2ski 09-23-2012 10:03 PM

Re: New Boat Search Begins
 
Sloop,

Not surprised you found the Attalia light and tippy. It only weighs 3000 lbs LESS than the equal sized catalina 30! I weight 2000 less than a Cat 28mk II! So in some sense, yes, lighter boats will be/seem tippier or tender if you will.

With about 33-35% bal/disp, tender would probably apply as well, where that would be closer to 40% if they had/used lead vs iron keels of the same size. Altho I would imagine that with lead, they might make the cord thinner, still using the same wt of material! so in the end, no gain!

As far as interior goes....all depends upon the what you want to see or not see. Not a fan of seeing bolts in the cabin as you describe. But when I refinished my interior, I made easier to find said bolts, so I could replace things easy down the road.

Hopefully you can find what you are looking for! Maybe a smaller Cal in the 30-34' range?!?!?

marty

SloopJonB 09-23-2012 10:16 PM

Re: New Boat Search Begins
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaQuinn (Post 925749)
Don't know if a 30' S2 9.2 CC is of interest.....I am getting ready to put it on the market.

It is still on the hard, had the bottom painted after we moved it from Lake Lanier to Cheasapeake ....all new wiring in the Mast....hasn't been put back on yet, so could be easily transported. Spent most of its life in fresh water.
| S2 9.2CC Sailboat

Thanks but I'm looking a little closer to home - Vancouver. :)

SloopJonB 09-23-2012 10:22 PM

Re: New Boat Search Begins
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by blt2ski (Post 925767)
Sloop,

Not surprised you found the Attalia light and tippy. It only weighs 3000 lbs LESS than the equal sized catalina 30! I weight 2000 less than a Cat 28mk II! So in some sense, yes, lighter boats will be/seem tippier or tender if you will.

With about 33-35% bal/disp, tender would probably apply as well, where that would be closer to 40% if they had/used lead vs iron keels of the same size. Altho I would imagine that with lead, they might make the cord thinner, still using the same wt of material! so in the end, no gain!

As far as interior goes....all depends upon the what you want to see or not see. Not a fan of seeing bolts in the cabin as you describe. But when I refinished my interior, I made easier to find said bolts, so I could replace things easy down the road.

Hopefully you can find what you are looking for! Maybe a smaller Cal in the 30-34' range?!?!?

marty

A nice old Cal 34 would be a definite maybe. The Attalia wasn't really tender due to the displacement, more the fact that it was derived from a successful IOR 1/2 tonner. Initial tenderness was one of the ways designers fooled the rule in those days. I'm sure it would stiffen right up around 15 degrees of heel, just like my old quarter tonner. I've been on lighter boats that weren't nearly as initially tender - more the hull shape than the disp. or ballast ratio.

blt2ski 09-24-2012 10:34 AM

Re: New Boat Search Begins
 
Yeah, around 15 degrees is when my boat hardens up. Would imagine the Attalia does the same. Ay boat from the late 70's to early/mid 80's design will probably be that way. So go earlier, or later in time frame. The most recent designs, ie last 10-15 yrs will probably be the most stable initially do to hull design more than anything.

marty


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012