Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road
Re: Thinking about upgrading...

Well, it's a tough choice...

I knew they were two different boats going in, but my what a difference. The T37 might be off the list. It needed some upgrading and after looking at the E35... Why upgrade when it's already been done for you. Kudos treilly on creating the finest boat I've ever seen.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Thanks Nick. My wife says if you buy her, you have to give us right of first refusal if you ever sell ;-) We put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 09-26-2012
sv Cordelia

More questions... What's the difference in a Boat Mortgage and a Boat Loan? Also, what are the requirements for the Coast Guard to list the boat as a "vessel?" I found how the CG classifies their ships. Best I can find on personal boats is 5 net tons or more. It sounds like any boat larger than 25 ft would be 5 net tons.

Last edited by Nicklaus; 09-26-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-26-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Cant go wrong with that particular Erickson. We have seen her on the Bay..Color is very distinctive. Didnt know that was Tims old boat. E35III are great all around boats. When we bought Haleakula ( C&C 35 MKIII) it was between her, Tartan 37, Erickson 35MKIII and 36 Sabre. We bought the one in the best condition. We like the traditional set ups they all had.

The Sabre and C&C a little quicker but not by much.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-26-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Which knocks your socks off? Decide which and then buy it.

The boats that you mention are like comparing a BMW with a Chevy. Both are fine and will get the job done but there are differences in fit, finish, and component quality. The differences are reflected in price. In general, I'd refrain from letting specific items of gear influence your decision - look at the design and how much you like the boat. Any amenity can be added to any boat but you can't make a Chevy into a BMW.

Last edited by Sabreman; 09-26-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2012
sv Cordelia

I've given it a lot of thought. My wife and I both love the look of the Ericson, but she's afraid it still presents us with the same problems we have now. Though much larger and nicer than our current Ericson, we're still forced to sleep in the V Berth with our feet cramped - which is a deal killer for her.

My concern with the Beneteau is if we decide to do some cruising - not across the ocean, just maybe down to the Virgin Islands or up to Maine in a few years, would the Beneteau be able to handle any unexpected conditions.
Old 09-27-2012

emoney is on a distinguished road

LOL, that's probably a debate better served in another thread, although it's probably been argued to absolute death there as well.

In summary of all of that, the boat is only as good as the sailor, regardless of who built it. Buy the one that makes momma happy and you'll be happy. When torn between two "opposite ends of the scale", I like to step back and visualize which one of the two would I be willing to trade for? Meaning, does the Beneteau fulfill enough personal likes and wants that whatever you buy "this time", will eventually be traded in for one? If that's the case, skip the middle man and buy the boat.

Any pre-owned anything is only as good as it's previous owner. If the boat's been properly maintained and is set-up to a point that you don't feel like you have to break your back and/or the bank account to get it where you like it, then it's a winner.
Old 09-27-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Understand the room in the V Berth for the Erickson.

Check out the T37 or the C&C 35 MKIII like we have. Our V is exceptionally long for a boat its size. My wife and I have no issues or problems sleeping forward when we want to and I am not a small guy. We also have the standard easyily converted double in the salon. When we are travleing on vacation or just the two of us ( most of the time) we often sleep there and just keep the table down. Most of our meals during the seasons are in the cockpit. I am not a fan of the coffin aft bunks shoehorned under the cockpit. Usually not enough fresh air moving i there. They make great garages as soes our double quarterberth

I think the other boat, Bene you are looking at will be ok for the coastal druising you intend to do. For me ( only my opinion), I didnt want a large flat back stern in the water ( on a 35 footer) with a huge party cockpit. That doesnt make it wrong...its just not what I wanted. Lots of my friends have them and love them. I envy their swim platforms and dinghy access. I dont envy them on coastal trips or following seas.

I would look longer term though as you may keep this boat a lot longer than your previous because the next styep up is a big one. Build quality is all important. Structural bulkheads, chainplates, rigging, equipment size and quality, engine horsepower, tankage ( big obe), storage space ( big one). We found the Sabre, Tartans, C&Cs and Ericksons had room, while the production boats gave that room up for the nicer salons or trying to make the sleeping area larger in this size boat. Dont forget engine horsepower vrs size also. And of course resale value. There will be tradeoffs as rarely does one boat have everything you want. Electroinics can be replaced. Should not enter the decision. Our 83 has more modern electrontics now than boats sold 2 years ago. You cant replace the hull, the size of the V, the thickness of fibergalss etc.
While its important that there be enough sleeping room, there are more important other sub surface decisions which did also eliminate boats for me, I understand about keeping the Admiral happy, but what she is looking for may not always be the same. I was able to take a racer/ cruiser and add ammenities which made her ( and I ) happy and we are on it evry weekend from march- dec like it is our second home.

As far as upgrading...that never entered my decision. Condition of the hull and deck, engine condition and upkeep were the prime considerations. I wanted to upgrade electrontics and systems to make it my footprint anyway.

Sailing ability, speed, comfort in the seaway are important. You know how and what you will use this boat so buy accordingly. If you are going cruising....fast sailing ability may not be the prime factor. If you are mostly on the Bay with some trips...dont buy a boat you will be motoring
all the time all summer where you will use it the most where the winds are usually light 4 months of the year. The Chessie isnt San Fran Bay.

Trelliys old Erickson is a great boat, you will be hard pressed to find one in the condition it appears to be in, The E 39 was also a good one. When he moved up to the 40LRC he has, I will bet many of the factors which made him pick the Erickson were also there in his newer boat,( 40Calber is one of the best boats for cruising for its size).

We just went through this exercise oin looking for our last boat...a boat to cruise to the Carribean with and stay on for 5 months. It took us all of last year to decide and we climbed on over 100 boats. I actually had to give a little on my having a very quick boat ( i like performance cruisers) somehwat for the balance of stability in trade winds. I love the larger Sabres and Tartans, but my reuirement is a protected rudder now and they dont have them. After a year we narrowed to a Mason 43/44, Bristol 41.1/45.5, Hans Cristian Christina 43, or Moody 44. Nnone of them are speed demons...but all sail fairly well to windward. Nnow we are looking for one at the correct price in good condition. That may take a few years as I am picky.

There are so many considerations out there. I suggest you look at lots of boats in your size range and narrow down to 4 boats ( brands). If you can find someone one here who had one and go out on it. We narrowed ours down to Tartan, Sabre, C&C and Erickson in the years 19782- 1985 when I bought Haleakula 15 years ago Then start looking for the best kept ones in your price range. We knew wed pay more for these boats than similar years Catalinas, Hunters, Bennetaues, but we liked how they felt. As Sabreman said you will know when you have found the one you love. So many choices and variables....but dont rush...you dont have to.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 09-27-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-27-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road

I agree, you can't go wrong with a Ericson or a Tartan. If you are looking for more leg room, I think you will find most mid-30 ft range to be about the same. Ericson makes a really nice 38 in a few different types of design.
Also Pearson makes a solid 365 and 367 design.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Old 10-17-2012

Carl W is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear you are upgrading, me too. Only I am looking at an Ericson 27, I would appreciate any advice you could offer on the 27. Thanks