Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012

daledog is on a distinguished road
Re: Thinking about upgrading...

I have a Tartan 37 here outside Cambridge Md, 90 min from DC fro sale that I'd love to show you. I'm only selling because I just bought the HB40. Beautiful boat...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2012

mikel1 is on a distinguished road

Carl W: I can't say enough good about the Ericson 27 . . .poke around over at ericsonyachts.org . . .
Old 10-17-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

Carl -

I agree with Mike. It's been a good boat. The only negative is the location of the traveler. It is in front of the wheel - which is great for sailing, but stops you from installing a table - which would be great at the dock. So, it’s a small trade off that I never minded. Last year at the sailboat show, I looked at every other 27 ft boat there. The inside of the Ericson felt like a mansion compared to some of the cramped layouts I saw. And, it has better lines.

Motoring through wakes or chop isn’t great, but I think that’s just par for the course. As for sailing performance, I think it points extremely well (despite some reviews to the contrary) and I can’t remember being passed by many other 27 footers (also despite reviews). I’ve gotten the sails wet and never felt uneasy about the boat’s ability to keep trucking along. When sailing with seas about 3 ft, the waves can push the rudder around so you have to hang on.

All in all, I love it. I am only getting something larger for a little more foot space in the V-berth, a larger cockpit – two things for the wife – and the ability to spend a week on the hook comfortably.
Old 10-17-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I cruised this weekend with a fellow sailing an Ericson 30. There's plenty to love about that boat, and precious little to complain about. You might consider one of them.
chef2sail likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 11-06-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the help. After lots of looking - almost a year online - and climbing aboard a handful of top contenders, we're going to close on the Ericson this week.

As often seems to be the case, she was one of the first boats we climbed aboard. We both liked the lines and how well she had been cared for - and then loved them after looking at boats $25k more expensive that were not as well cared for or as pretty.

Thanks for everyone's input and hope to see you on the Bay this spring.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 11-06-2012

bobnpaula is on a distinguished road

"Lots of choices, but if you buy basic strong construction over "dock side condo" styling and quality, you will always be happier in the long run".

I really agree with this sentiment as you consider both boats. How the boats have been maintained and what "upgrades" have or have not been done (autopilot, chartplotter, newer sails, etc) also should influence the decision.
Everyone has different preferences about cabin size and layout. We are very happy with our "move-up" boat, '97 Caliber 35 LRC... traditional layout, very solid construction with quality portholes/hatches/winches etc and loads of storage for the longer cruises we can now do. Sailing characteristics and "seakindly" motion matter too... should be fun to sail! Thinking about how you will actually be using the boat (and where) should dictate what is on your "must-have" list. For example, sailing in warmer climates means ventilation down below is important. I am the "Admiral" in our case (hate that term), but I would advise other wives/spouses not to get infatuated with the dock-side condo aspect of a boat... a well-found sailing vessel doesn't need fake flowers on the saloon table!!
Good luck, and enjoy the search!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.