SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Thinking about upgrading...

4K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  bobnpaula 
#1 ·
This is all still pretty hypothetical right now, but I’d like to upgrade from my ’77 Ericson 27’ to something in the mid-30’ range. The main reason is the ability to do longer cruises and spend a lot more weekends – as opposed to day sails - on the boat than we currently do now.

I love the lines of older boats, but my wife likes the amenities of newer ones.

Here’s my question, is “better” to buy a larger but only slightly newer boat for less money or go ahead and purchase a more expensive, newer boat?

I’m going to look at a 1983 Tartan 37’ and a 1997 Beneteau 35’. The price difference is about $12k. I’d like to have whichever boat I get for a good while longer so I’m worried that an 1983 might already be getting “old” – even though T37s are great boats.

I know that the T37 is probably more “blue water” than the Beneteau but I don’t plan on sailing around the world in either.

Thanks for your input.

#2 ·
Tough question to answer as budget and money are very personal things. One thing to ask yourself though is will the extra 12k get you more time actually using the boat, if the wife enjoys it more? I know this would be true for many people and if so, and the budget can take it, it might be worth the cost. For me it wouldn't at this point, because my budget couldn't handle it! :)

#4 · (Edited)
Agree. If the Admiral is unhappy, the Captain is going to have a bad day!
:)
What is your approx. purchase budget??

Once you have a realistic budget, there are many good choices in your prospective size range. I have a friend with a lovely Tartan 37 (CB). The interior seems a bit "small" for me, but it has far more storage than our boat.

FWIW, there is a sistership for sale as of last week, up in Olympia, WA. We have a full-on cruising interior that seems to wow every gal that visits. Trucking cost might put it out of bounds, budget wise, for you.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?11506-1988-Olson-34-Edgewalker-For-Sale

When we bought the Olson, in '94, the Admiral wanted the interior accomodation, and I wanted speed and ease of handling. She loves to drive it with the rail down in 20 kts... :)

Or, check out a mid-80's Ericson 34 or 35-3.

Lots of choices, but if you buy basic strong construction over "dock side condo" styling and quality, you will always be happier in the long run.

#3 ·
Sailboats all ages differently depending on the previous owners, we owned a 77 Cal 34 that look almost new, and I've seen 90ish sailboats that were totally wrecked...

I once saw a 75ish Alberg 30 that looked better then any new boats i ever saw, I was almost scared of climbing aboard and making a scuff on that mirror like gelcoat.

Pierre

#7 · (Edited)
This is all still pretty hypothetical right now, but I'd like to upgrade from my '77 Ericson 27' to something in the mid-30' range. The main reason is the ability to do longer cruises and spend a lot more weekends - as opposed to day sails - on the boat than we currently do now.

I love the lines of older boats, but my wife likes the amenities of newer ones.

Here's my question, is "better" to buy a larger but only slightly newer boat for less money or go ahead and purchase a more expensive, newer boat?

I'm going to look at a 1983 Tartan 37' and a 1997 Beneteau 35'. The price difference is about $12k. I'd like to have whichever boat I get for a good while longer so I'm worried that an 1983 might already be getting "old" - even though T37s are great boats.

I know that the T37 is probably more "blue water" than the Beneteau but I don't plan on sailing around the world in either.

Thanks for your input.
Our previous boat, a 1985 Ericson 35-3, is currently for sail in Annapolis. Check out my website for more info. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you in touch with the current owner.

More info here but this is an old thread. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-.../62284-amazing-boat-discriminating-buyer.html

More info on the Ericson site: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?11392-35-III-for-sale

#9 ·
I would judge each boat on it's merits without regard to it's age. If a boat has been well maintained, an older boat could have a newer "effective age" than a poorly maintained newer boat. If you came aboard, you would never guess my boat is 21 years old.

Mike

#10 ·
$12,000, when considering what you would end up investing in the other boat doesn't sound like much if you think you may need to upgrade it short term.

I'm sitting on that fence right now. Catalina 34 mki vs a Catalina 36 mkii. The latter is twice the boat and nearly twice the price. The 34 would be a great weekender and annual trip cruiser but it seriously lacks storage for longer trips.

The gap closes when I realize I will have a lot of work in the older 34: a/c, autopilot, electronics, sails, lazy jacks ...

My thought is to buy the boat I intend to cruise and begin setting it up now. The other concept is that it's ready to go now.
With the concept that this cheaper over time.

#14 ·
Cant go wrong with that particular Erickson. We have seen her on the Bay..Color is very distinctive. Didnt know that was Tims old boat. E35III are great all around boats. When we bought Haleakula ( C&C 35 MKIII) it was between her, Tartan 37, Erickson 35MKIII and 36 Sabre. We bought the one in the best condition. We like the traditional set ups they all had.

The Sabre and C&C a little quicker but not by much.

Dave

#15 · (Edited)
Which knocks your socks off? Decide which and then buy it.

The boats that you mention are like comparing a BMW with a Chevy. Both are fine and will get the job done but there are differences in fit, finish, and component quality. The differences are reflected in price. In general, I'd refrain from letting specific items of gear influence your decision - look at the design and how much you like the boat. Any amenity can be added to any boat but you can't make a Chevy into a BMW.

#16 ·
I've given it a lot of thought. My wife and I both love the look of the Ericson, but she's afraid it still presents us with the same problems we have now. Though much larger and nicer than our current Ericson, we're still forced to sleep in the V Berth with our feet cramped - which is a deal killer for her.

My concern with the Beneteau is if we decide to do some cruising - not across the ocean, just maybe down to the Virgin Islands or up to Maine in a few years, would the Beneteau be able to handle any unexpected conditions.

#17 ·
LOL, that's probably a debate better served in another thread, although it's probably been argued to absolute death there as well.

In summary of all of that, the boat is only as good as the sailor, regardless of who built it. Buy the one that makes momma happy and you'll be happy. When torn between two "opposite ends of the scale", I like to step back and visualize which one of the two would I be willing to trade for? Meaning, does the Beneteau fulfill enough personal likes and wants that whatever you buy "this time", will eventually be traded in for one? If that's the case, skip the middle man and buy the boat.

Any pre-owned anything is only as good as it's previous owner. If the boat's been properly maintained and is set-up to a point that you don't feel like you have to break your back and/or the bank account to get it where you like it, then it's a winner.

#18 · (Edited)
Understand the room in the V Berth for the Erickson.

Check out the T37 or the C&C 35 MKIII like we have. Our V is exceptionally long for a boat its size. My wife and I have no issues or problems sleeping forward when we want to and I am not a small guy. We also have the standard easyily converted double in the salon. When we are travleing on vacation or just the two of us ( most of the time) we often sleep there and just keep the table down. Most of our meals during the seasons are in the cockpit. I am not a fan of the coffin aft bunks shoehorned under the cockpit. Usually not enough fresh air moving i there. They make great garages as soes our double quarterberth

I think the other boat, Bene you are looking at will be ok for the coastal druising you intend to do. For me ( only my opinion), I didnt want a large flat back stern in the water ( on a 35 footer) with a huge party cockpit. That doesnt make it wrong...its just not what I wanted. Lots of my friends have them and love them. I envy their swim platforms and dinghy access. I dont envy them on coastal trips or following seas.

I would look longer term though as you may keep this boat a lot longer than your previous because the next styep up is a big one. Build quality is all important. Structural bulkheads, chainplates, rigging, equipment size and quality, engine horsepower, tankage ( big obe), storage space ( big one). We found the Sabre, Tartans, C&Cs and Ericksons had room, while the production boats gave that room up for the nicer salons or trying to make the sleeping area larger in this size boat. Dont forget engine horsepower vrs size also. And of course resale value. There will be tradeoffs as rarely does one boat have everything you want. Electroinics can be replaced. Should not enter the decision. Our 83 has more modern electrontics now than boats sold 2 years ago. You cant replace the hull, the size of the V, the thickness of fibergalss etc.
While its important that there be enough sleeping room, there are more important other sub surface decisions which did also eliminate boats for me, I understand about keeping the Admiral happy, but what she is looking for may not always be the same. I was able to take a racer/ cruiser and add ammenities which made her ( and I ) happy and we are on it evry weekend from march- dec like it is our second home.

As far as upgrading...that never entered my decision. Condition of the hull and deck, engine condition and upkeep were the prime considerations. I wanted to upgrade electrontics and systems to make it my footprint anyway.

Sailing ability, speed, comfort in the seaway are important. You know how and what you will use this boat so buy accordingly. If you are going cruising....fast sailing ability may not be the prime factor. If you are mostly on the Bay with some trips...dont buy a boat you will be motoring
all the time all summer where you will use it the most where the winds are usually light 4 months of the year. The Chessie isnt San Fran Bay.

Trelliys old Erickson is a great boat, you will be hard pressed to find one in the condition it appears to be in, The E 39 was also a good one. When he moved up to the 40LRC he has, I will bet many of the factors which made him pick the Erickson were also there in his newer boat,( 40Calber is one of the best boats for cruising for its size).

We just went through this exercise oin looking for our last boat...a boat to cruise to the Carribean with and stay on for 5 months. It took us all of last year to decide and we climbed on over 100 boats. I actually had to give a little on my having a very quick boat ( i like performance cruisers) somehwat for the balance of stability in trade winds. I love the larger Sabres and Tartans, but my reuirement is a protected rudder now and they dont have them. After a year we narrowed to a Mason 43/44, Bristol 41.1/45.5, Hans Cristian Christina 43, or Moody 44. Nnone of them are speed demons...but all sail fairly well to windward. Nnow we are looking for one at the correct price in good condition. That may take a few years as I am picky.

There are so many considerations out there. I suggest you look at lots of boats in your size range and narrow down to 4 boats ( brands). If you can find someone one here who had one and go out on it. We narrowed ours down to Tartan, Sabre, C&C and Erickson in the years 19782- 1985 when I bought Haleakula 15 years ago Then start looking for the best kept ones in your price range. We knew wed pay more for these boats than similar years Catalinas, Hunters, Bennetaues, but we liked how they felt. As Sabreman said you will know when you have found the one you love. So many choices and variables....but dont rush...you dont have to.

Dave

#19 ·
I agree, you can't go wrong with a Ericson or a Tartan. If you are looking for more leg room, I think you will find most mid-30 ft range to be about the same. Ericson makes a really nice 38 in a few different types of design.
Also Pearson makes a solid 365 and 367 design.

#23 ·
Carl -

I agree with Mike. It's been a good boat. The only negative is the location of the traveler. It is in front of the wheel - which is great for sailing, but stops you from installing a table - which would be great at the dock. So, it’s a small trade off that I never minded. Last year at the sailboat show, I looked at every other 27 ft boat there. The inside of the Ericson felt like a mansion compared to some of the cramped layouts I saw. And, it has better lines.

Motoring through wakes or chop isn’t great, but I think that’s just par for the course. As for sailing performance, I think it points extremely well (despite some reviews to the contrary) and I can’t remember being passed by many other 27 footers (also despite reviews). I’ve gotten the sails wet and never felt uneasy about the boat’s ability to keep trucking along. When sailing with seas about 3 ft, the waves can push the rudder around so you have to hang on.

All in all, I love it. I am only getting something larger for a little more foot space in the V-berth, a larger cockpit – two things for the wife – and the ability to spend a week on the hook comfortably.

#25 ·
Thanks for all the help. After lots of looking - almost a year online - and climbing aboard a handful of top contenders, we're going to close on the Ericson this week.

As often seems to be the case, she was one of the first boats we climbed aboard. We both liked the lines and how well she had been cared for - and then loved them after looking at boats $25k more expensive that were not as well cared for or as pretty.

Thanks for everyone's input and hope to see you on the Bay this spring.

#26 ·
"Lots of choices, but if you buy basic strong construction over "dock side condo" styling and quality, you will always be happier in the long run".

I really agree with this sentiment as you consider both boats. How the boats have been maintained and what "upgrades" have or have not been done (autopilot, chartplotter, newer sails, etc) also should influence the decision.
Everyone has different preferences about cabin size and layout. We are very happy with our "move-up" boat, '97 Caliber 35 LRC... traditional layout, very solid construction with quality portholes/hatches/winches etc and loads of storage for the longer cruises we can now do. Sailing characteristics and "seakindly" motion matter too... should be fun to sail! Thinking about how you will actually be using the boat (and where) should dictate what is on your "must-have" list. For example, sailing in warmer climates means ventilation down below is important. I am the "Admiral" in our case (hate that term), but I would advise other wives/spouses not to get infatuated with the dock-side condo aspect of a boat... a well-found sailing vessel doesn't need fake flowers on the saloon table!!
Good luck, and enjoy the search!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.