Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road
Thinking about upgrading...

This is all still pretty hypothetical right now, but I’d like to upgrade from my ’77 Ericson 27’ to something in the mid-30’ range. The main reason is the ability to do longer cruises and spend a lot more weekends – as opposed to day sails - on the boat than we currently do now.

I love the lines of older boats, but my wife likes the amenities of newer ones.

Here’s my question, is “better” to buy a larger but only slightly newer boat for less money or go ahead and purchase a more expensive, newer boat?

I’m going to look at a 1983 Tartan 37’ and a 1997 Beneteau 35’. The price difference is about $12k. I’d like to have whichever boat I get for a good while longer so I’m worried that an 1983 might already be getting “old” – even though T37s are great boats.

I know that the T37 is probably more “blue water” than the Beneteau but I don’t plan on sailing around the world in either.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Re: Thinking about upgrading...

Tough question to answer as budget and money are very personal things. One thing to ask yourself though is will the extra 12k get you more time actually using the boat, if the wife enjoys it more? I know this would be true for many people and if so, and the budget can take it, it might be worth the cost. For me it wouldn't at this point, because my budget couldn't handle it!
Old 09-21-2012
Bathurst NB

PeterSailer is on a distinguished road

Sailboats all ages differently depending on the previous owners, we owned a 77 Cal 34 that look almost new, and I've seen 90ish sailboats that were totally wrecked...

I once saw a 75ish Alberg 30 that looked better then any new boats i ever saw, I was almost scared of climbing aboard and making a scuff on that mirror like gelcoat.

Pierre
Old 09-21-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Thinking about upgrading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderGuy View Post
Tough question to answer as budget and money are very personal things. One thing to ask yourself though is will the extra 12k get you more time actually using the boat, if the wife enjoys it more? I know this would be true for many people and if so, and the budget can take it, it might be worth the cost. For me it wouldn't at this point, because my budget couldn't handle it!
Agree. If the Admiral is unhappy, the Captain is going to have a bad day!

What is your approx. purchase budget??

Once you have a realistic budget, there are many good choices in your prospective size range. I have a friend with a lovely Tartan 37 (CB). The interior seems a bit "small" for me, but it has far more storage than our boat.

FWIW, there is a sistership for sale as of last week, up in Olympia, WA. We have a full-on cruising interior that seems to wow every gal that visits. Trucking cost might put it out of bounds, budget wise, for you.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...alker-For-Sale

When we bought the Olson, in '94, the Admiral wanted the interior accomodation, and I wanted speed and ease of handling. She loves to drive it with the rail down in 20 kts...

Or, check out a mid-80's Ericson 34 or 35-3.

Lots of choices, but if you buy basic strong construction over "dock side condo" styling and quality, you will always be happier in the long run.

Last edited by olson34; 09-22-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Thinking about upgrading...

Those are completely different boats. Wife will tell you wish she prefers. Condition is everything. The older boat may have been upgraded electronics rigging etc. get a rigging survey too.
Old 09-21-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

Just One question do you want a 1983 lead or 1997 iron keel sitting in the water ?
olson34 likes this.
Old 09-21-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post
This is all still pretty hypothetical right now, but I’d like to upgrade from my ’77 Ericson 27’ to something in the mid-30’ range. The main reason is the ability to do longer cruises and spend a lot more weekends – as opposed to day sails - on the boat than we currently do now.

I love the lines of older boats, but my wife likes the amenities of newer ones.

Here’s my question, is “better” to buy a larger but only slightly newer boat for less money or go ahead and purchase a more expensive, newer boat?

I’m going to look at a 1983 Tartan 37’ and a 1997 Beneteau 35’. The price difference is about $12k. I’d like to have whichever boat I get for a good while longer so I’m worried that an 1983 might already be getting “old” – even though T37s are great boats.

I know that the T37 is probably more “blue water” than the Beneteau but I don’t plan on sailing around the world in either.

Thanks for your input.
Our previous boat, a 1985 Ericson 35-3, is currently for sail in Annapolis. Check out my website for more info. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you in touch with the current owner.

More info here but this is an old thread. Amazing Boat For The Discriminating Buyer

More info on the Ericson site: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...5-III-for-sale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 09-21-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Those are completely different boats. Wife will tell you wish she prefers. Condition is everything. The older boat may have been upgraded electronics rigging etc. get a rigging survey too.
I think it will come down to what she prefers - and let's me spend the money on... I explained the difference as one is a F-350 and one is a BMW SUV. Both will pull a trailer, but only one is really made to pull it.

My budget is kind of dependent on the boat.
Old 09-21-2012

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road

I would judge each boat on it's merits without regard to it's age. If a boat has been well maintained, an older boat could have a newer "effective age" than a poorly maintained newer boat. If you came aboard, you would never guess my boat is 21 years old.

Mike
Old 09-22-2012

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road

$12,000, when considering what you would end up investing in the other boat doesn't sound like much if you think you may need to upgrade it short term.

I'm sitting on that fence right now. Catalina 34 mki vs a Catalina 36 mkii. The latter is twice the boat and nearly twice the price. The 34 would be a great weekender and annual trip cruiser but it seriously lacks storage for longer trips.

The gap closes when I realize I will have a lot of work in the older 34: a/c, autopilot, electronics, sails, lazy jacks ...

My thought is to buy the boat I intend to cruise and begin setting it up now. The other concept is that it's ready to go now.
With the concept that this cheaper over time.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.