Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey" - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
The seller is just telling you that you've negotiated your best price and there is no more room.

If you want the boat go for the survey. Remember the survey, for all intense & purposes, is so you can get insurance and know the boat is safe.

They are not intended, as many people try to use them, as a further negotiation tool. Sounds to me like the seller is an experienced seller and been through the nickle & dime dance before.
I agree, the seller may tell you anything he wants. His personal experience is not something I am interested in and he probably feels the same way about me. It's just business.

As for rest, I respectfully disagree.

For example, insurance surveys don't test engine compression, they only care if it runs, isn't leaking fuel into the bilge, and isn't about to fall off it's mounts.

Some buyers are not inclined to look at the nuts and bolts. We all know people who are brilliant, yet can't seem to attach the socket to the end of the ratchet.

For many, when getting involved in a large purchase we let our emotions get in the way of the decision making process.

There are plenty of dishonest brokers and sellers. A good surveyor is like having a good lawyer on your side. He finds the mechanical and structural loop holes, the things the buyer may not understand, explains them to you and assists you in making an informed decision.

Caveat Emptor
ccriders and chef2sail like this.

Last edited by RobGallagher; 09-27-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post

For example, insurance surveys don't test engine compression, they only care if it runs, isn't leaking fuel into the bilge, and isn't about to fall off it's mounts.
There are plenty of dishonest brokers and sellers. A good surveyor is like having a good lawyer on your side. He finds the mechanical and structural loop holes, the things the buyer may not understand, explains them to you and assists you in making an informed decision.

Caveat Emptor
Rob,

I am not certain how the compression comment fits into your intent...but FWIW all surveys I've had, insurance and purchase, and in those I have read, the surveyors commented at best on the visual appearance of the engine and standing rigging, and exclude their condition from their scope. So the good lawyer comment, which is quite wise, should include an engine mechanic and rigger as part of the team.
Old 09-27-2012
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about

So, where's the OP?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-27-2012
Capt Nery

nmejicano is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I rejected the Purchase and sell agreement that contained the clause. The broker sated, "the seller is already mad and you will loose the boat" How can you loose something you don't have? And why should emotions be part of the negotiation? In any case, the seller took the clause off and we are moving on with the purchase. Thanks and see you in the Bahamas.
Old 09-27-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Seems to happen frequently on sailnet - the OP disappears in a sea of helpful suggestions...

Not this particular OP, but some seem to post in order to receive reaffirmation of their thoughts and proposed course of action. When they instead receive different viewpoints and ideas, some of which they may not have considered, they bail and are never heard from again.

Many are uncomfortable with the fact that truth often emerges from controversy and conflict.
nmejicano likes this.
Old 09-27-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Good for you, Nmejicano! The steel balls approach worked.
nmejicano likes this.
Old 09-27-2012
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Rob,

I am not certain how the compression comment fits into your intent...but FWIW all surveys I've had, insurance and purchase, and in those I have read, the surveyors commented at best on the visual appearance of the engine and standing rigging, and exclude their condition from their scope. So the good lawyer comment, which is quite wise, should include an engine mechanic and rigger as part of the team.
I agree, yet, it can get complicated.

For example, one surveyor I used was also a certified Yanmar mechanic. He did a compression check, looked at the alignment, etc. He also did a visual on the rigging and suggested I get a rigger to look at it.

It would also depend on the price point of the boat. For example, if the rigging is 40 yrs old I might put my rigging $$ into simply replacing the standing rigging.
SeaQuinn and nmejicano like this.
Old 09-27-2012
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmejicano View Post
The broker sated, "the seller is already mad and you will loose the boat"

Hilarious.

And sad, because some poor fool might actually fall for that line.
nmejicano likes this.
Old 09-27-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The broker sated, "the seller is already mad and you will loose the boat"
So what if the seller is insane... This is the broker's, not your, problem.

This is a transaction pure and simple. Tell the broker that his psychological assessment of the owner is irrelevant to whether this transaction takes place (and he gets paid).
nmejicano likes this.
Old 09-27-2012

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmejicano View Post
I was looking for a Gemini 105 MC, I looked at several during the last year and found many in a sad shape and a few with exaggerated prices. Last Saturday, while inspecting an MC, we were pointed toward a 1996 M and we were very impressed with the boat, immaculate maintained with many extras, clean engine, new wiring, a 2100 dollar Garmin, a brand new dinghy, new upholstery, a new AC unit etc, etc, etc. So far the best boat we have seen. We offered the owner 15% less than the asking price, he counter offered and we offered 10% less than the asking price and he accepted. Here is the question and dilemma. On the Purchase and Sell Agreement accepting my offer he wrote, "No price reduction after survey". I know I can reject the boat, but then I will be out of the cost of the survey, haul out and my traveling expenses for an out of State trip. What do you guys suggest?
Thanks

He has accepted your reduced offer. Make sure your deal is subject to a satisfactory survey. If the boat is OK with only minor issues then you have already agreed to buy it at the agreed on price.

If the boat has major issues then the "subject to survey" clause kicks in and you pull your offer. Nothing stopping you at that point from making a new offer which would be likely your original offer less the cost of fixing the newly found problems.

The survey is for you not for the owner. It is your own cost and he should not pay for it up front or by price reduction

It is a used boat. Your offer was made and accepted on that basis. if you want a new boat then go pay someone else a whole lot more and get a beneteau ....

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.