Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey" - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012

delite is on a distinguished road
Re: Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
So he already dropped his selling price and "now" you want to add(subtract) survey and sea trial discounts on top....??Isn't that double dipping...?

Seems you should start at the "asking price...subtract the defects noted in survey/sea trial (which may be great or inconsequential) and then "discount" the offer even more if you feel lucky...

That's like negotiating best price on a new car and "then" asking how much for my trade in...

I have to disagree. Asking price and market value are rarely the same. Lets face it sellers always ask more than they are willing to settle for. The negotiated price is the correct starting point for any adjustments. That new car also comes with a warranty whereas a used boat will not. The vendor can always refuse a new price.

I do agree with you that the buyer would be bound to acquire the boat at the negotiated price even if the survey finds minor problems. I would think, unless he had sufficient reason to reject the boat based on the survey, that the buyer could be liable for any loss the seller may incur in selling it at a lower price on the basis the buyer acted in bad faith in walking away when the survey was ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2012

emoney is on a distinguished road

I'll have to "agree to disagree" with that statement, delite, as every boat I've sold, and there's only been 5 of them, but the "asking price" WAS the "selling price". I take into consideration what the boat needed vs. market value of a boat that didn't need that and priced accordingly. It was interesting in each instance to watch the responses of the folks that purchased or even just looked at the boats as this isn't the "norm" I guess. As a matter of fact, I can pinpoint 3 different people that were rather upset when someone else purchased "their boat" because they each had a hard time digesting what I was saying. It's simple; I've spent enough time on boats of all types to know what needs to be done and what doesn't. I never "over priced" any of those boats, and more than likely was under market value on the majority.

To the OP, glad it "worked out" for you, but I'm not sure what's changed, outside of the fact that words were removed from a piece of paper? I think you're still going to be out the cost of a survey, et al, if this deal doesn't go through, but I guess if you're more comfortable then that's all that matters. I think the biggest issue with this particular seller is there are a LOT of people out in the market just trying to "steal" because of it being such a "buyer's market" and truth be told, it gets rather annoying weeding through all those folks. I wouldn't let it be a reflection on you, but I bet it's safe to say that if the surveyor comes back and says "the brightwork isn't fresh enough" and you try to get a $500 discount you'll more than likely be told to "pound sand", lol.

Good luck, keep us posted, and the MOST important thing is to make sure you take and share plenty of pictures if and when you buy her.
Squidd likes this.
Old 09-27-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
but I bet it's safe to say that if the surveyor comes back and says "the brightwork isn't fresh enough" and you try to get a $500 discount you'll more than likely be told to "pound sand", lol.
This is exactly what I'm talking about...

And if the surveyor comes back and says "the keel/strut and prop are missing....

Then that's a deal "breaker"... Done... no obligation from either party...

Now, if you want, you can start "new" negotiations...or not...

No semantics here...

Last edited by Squidd; 09-27-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-27-2012

delite is on a distinguished road

emoney you sound like a very knowledgeable and fair person who knows the market. Many buyers and sellers dont and arent as knowledgeable or fair and some cultures just like to negotiate, in some cases even after the deal is done. Great if you are able to set a price and get exactly what you wanted. Clearly the buyers found you to be honest in what you said about your boats and you offered them at realistic prices. In most cases the dance is somewhat different as you have seen in your own experiences with buyers and their expectations.
Old 09-27-2012

Rockter will become famous soon enough

Tell him to take his boat and ram it up his rear sideways.
"No discounts after survey"?
Yea right.
Old 09-27-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
I'll have to "agree to disagree" with that statement, delite, as every boat I've sold, and there's only been 5 of them, but the "asking price" WAS the "selling price". .
This is pretty much how I've done it for the few things I have sold. I'm usually not pressed to sell by a certain time and I think I try and be reasonable on price. I've sold two homes like that and neither were what you would call conventional homes, but in both cases there were two buyers that wanted them at the same time.

When we finally get to where we have to sell one or both of our boats I hope it works about the same way. We do realize that we are going to loose money on both of them, but the experiences we have had owning them are priceless.

I have stacks of receipts for both and Ruth wanted to keep a running total, but I hexed that. I said they are only going to be worth what the market will bear when we finally put them up for sale. I keep the receipts so that I can remember what I bought and where in case someone asks or we need to replace something,

Sum

----------------------------

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

Old 09-27-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

I had a surveyor look over at me during a survey and say "you know this boat was sunk, right?" Well I didn't, and the seller pretended not to know, despite there being a very concealing house-type trim around the walls, 8 inches above the cabin sole. She must have sunk in her slip and there was a clear waterline 6 inches above the cabin sole.

When inspecting the engine compartment, he said "There was a fire in here." It was a small electrical fire, apparently.

This was a boat that the sellers treated as "their baby". It was a Beneteau 423 "DragonFly" out of Annapolis.

When I pulled out of the deal, they wanted a copy of the survey for free. That was my $800 survey. I would have given them a copy for 1/2 price. But I think they started calling my surveyor directly. Being a few states away, I'm not sure what happened after that, but they stopped calling me for it.

--

On another survey, George Gallup (excellent surveyor) told me flat out that boat was not worth the agreed price. The seller and I never came to agreement on a new price, so I didn't get the boat.

---

Two good reasons to get a survey. Just make sure you can walk away from the deal for any reason if you choose.

Regards,
Brad
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 09-27-2012

emoney is on a distinguished road

Great examples of why you can never be "out $$" when it comes to a survey. The only way you can be out money is to NOT get a survey. I'd rather spend $800.00 to avoid a $28000 mistake any day of the week.
Old 09-28-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmejicano View Post
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I rejected the Purchase and sell agreement that contained the clause. The broker sated, "the seller is already mad and you will loose the boat" How can you loose something you don't have? And why should emotions be part of the negotiation? In any case, the seller took the clause off and we are moving on with the purchase. Thanks and see you in the Bahamas.
We're pulling for you. It's best that you are comfortable, but im afraid this was a shallow victory. Nothing has changed. The seller will still not be required to accept any post survey adjustments and their frame of mind to do so has already been telegraphed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-28-2012
Capt Nery

nmejicano is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all of you for your comments and helpful suggestions. The issue was resolved, the seller to the clause off and we are moving forward. I am willing to deal with the minor problems (up to a point) that will be uncovered, but anything major will be up for negotiation. I feel that the seller and sometime the brokers, who do have a financial interest in the transaction, believe that if the buyer spend the money for the survey etc. they are already committed and will not back out. Wrong!
Now, I am looking for a surveyor in the Brunswick, GA area or the Jacksonville, FL area.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.