Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Boat Builder Reputations (who makes good boats?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
Try a 70's era Ericson 25 (8' beam, so it's trailerable without a permit). Better built than most of the brands named. Bruce King design. Hull-to-deck joint is glassed together on the inside. It has the high-quality scantlings of the larger Ericsons and was built for coastal cruising.

They sold quite a few, so you should be able to find a well-maintained one. Bring your specific questions to the owners' web site, at ericsonyachts.org.

Regards, Loren
The Ericson 23 II is very trailerable and is an extremely good looking little boat as well - one of my all time favourites.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I just sold my Cirrus 7.8 ( 25.5') built by Albin in Sweden. They build a very rugged boat.
But that model is hard to find over here. Maybe check out an Islander 26 if you can find one. It's not an Albin but it's a pretty good boat and a damn good design. And the designer is one heck of a nice guy.
What's your next boat going to be?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-27-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I just sold my Cirrus 7.8 ( 25.5') built by Albin in Sweden. They build a very rugged boat.
But that model is hard to find over here. Maybe check out an Islander 26 if you can find one. It's not an Albin but it's a pretty good boat and a damn good design. And the designer is one heck of a nice guy.
I've heard that he can be a bit cantankerous at times. You must have caught him on a good day.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 09-27-2012
Senior Slacker

Of the builders on your list, Cal probably had the best reputation. Ericson would be about the same over-all build quality, but with fancier (more teak, et cetera) interiors. The same could probably be said about Islander boats. However, the vintage of the boat can make a huge difference. Cals from the 1970s were better built than Catalina/Capri boats. But newer Catalinas (1990 to present) are probably better built than than the early Cals. MacGregor/Venture boats were/are not badly built, per se, but they are built very light, and more for the maximum number of berths than for their sailing characteristics.
PeterSailer likes this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 09-27-2012
Bathurst NB

PeterSailer is on a distinguished road

San juan 21
Catalina 25
Tanzer 22

The tanzer's have a good reputation and you can get them for quite cheap.
San Juan and Catalina's both have good reputation but they are usally a bit more expensive.

If you're planing on taking the boat in and out of the water every time you want to go for a sail, I would suggest that you stick with swing keel boats.

Pierre

Last edited by PeterSailer; 09-27-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-27-2012
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSailer View Post
If you're planing on taking the boat in and out of the water every time you want to go for a sail, I would suggest that you stick with swing keel boats.
That all depends. If you have access to a hoist a fixed keel boat is practical. I kept a Victory 21 in Alameda (San Francisco Bay) for several years and dry sailed it. My boat's parking spot was only about 150 feet from the hoist (self-serve, unlimited use) and there was a wash-down area right around the corner. Once I got use to using the hoist (a bit nerve-wracking at first) I could launch and retrieve the boat much faster than anyone using a ramp.

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 09-27-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-27-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I wonder why you would recommend an Islander 26'?
ISLANDER 26 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
The designer is listed as Robert Perry, whoever he was.
Bob is not always short for Robert but in this case, I suspect so.

Everybody has one:

Old 09-28-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I am on my 3rd Catalina Capri boat (upgraded through the line)... they have a reputation among sailors as being "cheaply built." I've had quite the opposite experience thusfar with them.

The question was asked if you were going to trailer sail 100% of the time... this IS your deciding factor I am afraid, and more pointedly how willing you are to spend time on setup and teardown time each time you sail.

My Capri 22 I got the setup/teardown down to about 35 minutes if I pushed it, but I wouldn't want to do that every time I sailed. The Capri 22 comes in flavors, but the one easiest to trailer sail is the fixed WING keel (also a compromise) that draws 2.5' it sits up on a trailer, but not real high (example of my old baby here

I have a Capri 25 now, which draws 4'2" of water, I still have to trailer launch (and retrieve) but I would NEVER want to do that EVERY time I sail (I do this only seasonally now and slip it the rest of the time). Example of height difference:

If you are only launching and retrieving once a year, then the Capri 26 is a possibility. Also if you want really large AND trailerable, Hake's Seawards are current, and have roll Keels making them very trailerable. I've considered any potential future lottery winnings going towards a seaward... Wait one has to play the lottery to win... nevermind.

As for Bob, well, duh... nothing wrong with anything he's said shameless self promotion is acceptable, well no, almost expected.
Faster likes this.
Old 09-28-2012

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

A Montgomery 17 will safely take you anywhere you have the balls to sail it. I had my M15 over a hundred miles offshore on the return trip from Seal Beach to Sf Bay.

Old 09-28-2012

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

I wouold search the archives here. There have definitely been a lot of threads on this sort of question.