Boat Builder Reputations (who makes good boats?) - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 09-26-2012 Thread Starter

Question Boat Builder Reputations (who makes good boats?)

I am looking for a used sailboat of <26'. The ones I see most often are: Cal, Capri, Catalina, Hunter, MacGregor, and O'Day. Of course, there are very many others.

I imagine sailboat builders have earned a reputation over time - just as car makers have.

Which boat builders (not limited to those above) have the best reputation for building good quality boats at a reasonable price? (Like a Toyota, not a Yugo.) Are there any builders that are known for low cost, low quality boats? (Hopefully, there are no high cost, low quality boats!)

I will day-sail the boat in coastal waters off southern California. (Cabin need not be large.) It will be dry stored on a trailer and ramp launched/recovered each time. So far, I have had one good suggestion - a MacGregor 26D/S.

Which builders are the best for the price?

Thanks, Richard

Last edited by rlltrash; 09-26-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-26-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Re: Boat Builder Reputations (who makes good boats?)

Try S2 if you want a quality trailerable that can sail coastal. I am not sure there are many others. MacGregor is neither.

Certified...in several regards...
post #3 of 24 Old 09-26-2012

The Morgan 24-25 still will surprise a lot of people who are trying to catch it.
post #4 of 24 Old 09-26-2012
Senior Moment Member

San Juans are good boats and they made some trailerable models. The 26 is a big trailerable but has the rep of being slow (PHRF of 240).

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #5 of 24 Old 09-26-2012

Hey,

Are you specifically looking for a boat with a swing keel or some other type if lifting keel? How are you going to get the boat on / off the trailer? Most boats in the 25' size will require 4' or more of water under the keel. Some, like the Catalina 22 an 25 come with a swing keel so you draw 2' or water withe the keel up and 5' with the keel down.

Just something to be aware of.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 Old 09-26-2012

Try a 70's era Ericson 25 (8' beam, so it's trailerable without a permit). Better built than most of the brands named. Bruce King design. Hull-to-deck joint is glassed together on the inside. It has the high-quality scantlings of the larger Ericsons and was built for coastal cruising.

They sold quite a few, so you should be able to find a well-maintained one. Bring your specific questions to the owners' web site, at ericsonyachts.org.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited by olson34; 09-26-2012 at 11:09 PM.
post #7 of 24 Old 09-26-2012 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

Are you specifically looking for a boat with a swing keel or some other type if lifting keel? How are you going to get the boat on / off the trailer? Most boats in the 25' size will require 4' or more of water under the keel. Some, like the Catalina 22 an 25 come with a swing keel so you draw 2' or water withe the keel up and 5' with the keel down.
Barry
Yes - a swing keel, keel & centerboard, weighted centerboard, drop keel, or lifting keel. I could get a shoal keel boat but they are usually 2+ feet long (which puts the boat high on a trailer) and the boats often don't point upwind very well.

Richard
post #8 of 24 Old 09-27-2012

Start reading Small Craft Advisor. Good reviews on there, and its also a great magazine in general.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #9 of 24 Old 09-27-2012
Just another Moderator

Tanzer 22 is available in a swing keel trailerable version, strong following. As SJB mentioned San Juan (esp the 21) is another well supported model with strong owner association.

For larger and higher performance SF's S2 would be a great choice.

How 'used' or 'old' you'll be looking at will, of course, depend on the money you have to spend.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #10 of 24 Old 09-27-2012
grumpy old man

I just sold my Cirrus 7.8 ( 25.5') built by Albin in Sweden. They build a very rugged boat.
But that model is hard to find over here. Maybe check out an Islander 26 if you can find one. It's not an Albin but it's a pretty good boat and a damn good design. And the designer is one heck of a nice guy.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.