Sailing to Cuba...need advice on Government and expenses - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2004

Jhooley is on a distinguished road
Sailing to Cuba...need advice on Government and expenses

Jack (whoosh) and everone else, Thanks for the advice. I will look into those books you recommended. Yeah, the question would have been better if I explained that Cuba is not my destination, but I would like to make an occasional anchorage there on my way to Jamaica. Just wondering if It would be trouble to do so? Thanks for the advice. One more question for Jack.....is there a reason you advise me to sail far from the coast of Cuba, besides political ones....is it treacherous sailing? Ive been looking at maps of Cubas North coast. It is dotted with hundreds of small islands, and it looks like it may be difficult to navigate. Thanks again. JIm
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2004

928frenzy is on a distinguished road

Just to add a bit to this topic; Americans already go to Cuba, by way of another country. As they exit that other country, a paper is afixed to their passport, which is stamped by officials upon entering Cuba. Upon returning to the originating country, the afixed paper is removed, so there''s no Cuban entry stamp in the passport, and as far as the US State Department is concerned, they never officially went to Cuba.

I''m not sure, but it may be possible to do something similar when you cruise to Jamaica. If so, you will probably have to return to Jamaica to have that paper officially removed.

~ Good luck and happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 03-10-2004
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

PDixon
The crudeness of your response well matches that of your opinions.

If we should need to listen to your political opinions here, then we should need to listen to everyone elses''s and the real sailors will end up going elsewhere, as this board will become a bore, as you are behaving.
Old 03-10-2004

PDixon is on a distinguished road

Fool
If the size of your boat matched the size of your ego you would drive an aircraft carrier. Your arrogance in speaking for the members of this board is telling. How does your head fit through the door? The topic asked for advice on the Government, I gave my advice. What is your agenda here? You come off as some upper crust purveyor of good taste.
A fool is a fool is a fool
Old 03-10-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road

Jim:

"...Cuba is not my destination, but I would like to make an occasional anchorage there on my way to Jamaica."

No, it doesn''t work that way. If you enter their national waters (12 NM limit but generously defined off outlying islands) then you are obligated to honor their clearance procedures, which means sailing to one of their few ports of entry and paying for & following their extensive procedures. Of course, you can ignore this when in an area you feel is remote but this isn''t recommended in a country that, at least insofar as its govt''l policy is concerned, is so massively concerned with border integrity, illicit visits from nasty So FL Cubans, etc. I have heard from folks who get weather bound off Cabo San Antonio (at the far W end of the island, while enroute via the Yucatan Channel) and who seek a protected anchorage without clearing in during heavy weather, but apparently the officials in that area are understanding about such wx delays...and of course the yachties don''t go ashore.

"...is there a reason you advise me to sail far from the coast of Cuba, besides political ones....is it treacherous sailing?"

I over-emphasized that statement. I just meant to reinforce the notion of honoring their 12 NM limit (including extended lines between outlying islands). Cuba is part of the Greater Antilles chain, all of which have (mostly) steep-to coastlines.

One other note about passports: I hadn''t heard the ''paper in your passport'' report before, but it was common for some years for U.S. sailors to arrive in Cuba (organized race, individual cruising plans) and request the officials not stamp the passport. They reportedly were always agreeable to this, a small penciled note being placed in a specific page of the passport as an alternative to a stamp. I don''t know if this is still a prevailing practice but it certainly underscores their awareness that Americans accept risk when visiting Cuba and try to accommodate those Yankee dollars.

Jack