Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sww914

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Theory regarding hits

I've had the opportunity to investigate several boat that have hit hard. I've also seen how the insurance company and various yards manage the repairs.

My data set is pretty small but I have a concern I would like your opinion about.

When a boat hits hard there is visible damage, cracked glass, adrift tabs etc.
I'm pretty sure there is invisible damage too.

Damaged internal fibers and maybe cracked glass that is not visible due to pans and other construction details.
I'm thinking that a boat that has hit hard, hit ledge or other boat for example and repaired may look perfect but may not be as rigid as it was before.
That means that the next time is is stressed either by another hit or by storm conditions it will suffer more damage that would be expected.

Do you know of any surveying techniques that would look for this problem specifically and do you agree that this situation can exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Re: Theory regarding hits

Yes, damage can be hidden by structure and covers and tanks and such. Bare fiberglass shows it's damage really well. You won't get many surprises if you can get it to where you can SEE the bare glass. Getting to that point is the hard part with boats. I fixed a lot of crashed race cars, metal cars with glass bodies and it ins't too hard to asses the damage to a piece that you can see at least one side of. I only ever had a failure to a repair when I warned that if we cheaped out it might fail eventually and the car owner decided to cheap out because it was worth the risk at that time.
Big difference between a cheap repair on the 2 lb. fender of a toy and the bottom of a boat.
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sww914; 09-28-2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: I only have 4 fingers and they get confused sometimes.
Old 09-30-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Theory regarding hits

I heard that one test that can be done is to run a taut string from the bow rail to the stern rail and mark where it crosses the mast.

Then tighten the back stay and see how easy it is to banana the boat.

Sounds like fun but unless you had a way to measure it like a hydraulic back stay gauge what good would it do.
Also you would need a reference deflection and tension.
I wonder how much more noodley some boats would be than others.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.