Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Beneteau Oceanis vs First

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcdwright View Post
Size for size which is the better boat in terms of strength and build for cruising?
Looking to get a 40 approx to go do the Fl - Carribean - Venezuela - Belize -Mexico circuit with 2 people ..
Isn't a matter of strength & build. It a matter of speed & comfort.

The hull, deck layout and cockpit design of the First series supports racing with below deck comforts at a minimum. The Oceanis series is designed for cruisers that may occasionally race.

Hard to find a good place to mount the Bimini, Dodger & BBQ grill on a First Series.
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Beneteau Oceanis vs First

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN2Travelers View Post
Isn't a matter of strength & build. It a matter of speed & comfort.

The hull, deck layout and cockpit design of the First series supports racing with below deck comforts at a minimum. The Oceanis series is designed for cruisers that may occasionally race.

Hard to find a good place to mount the Bimini, Dodger & BBQ grill on a First Series.
I dont' agree with your description:

"The hull, deck layout and cockpit design of the First series supports racing with below deck comforts at a minimum. The Oceanis series is designed for cruisers that may occasionally race."

I will post the interiors of the "old" First 40.7 and the current First 40. These are not "below deck comforts at a minimum", at least not for me:

I would describe the First as a performance cruiser that can ocasssionaly make club races and the Oceanis as a mainstream cruiser and certainly not a boat designed to race even at club racing levell.

the First is not a race boat and if you want to race the boat seriously you have to command a "special" First and not the one they sell as standard that is named CR (cruising).

Sure, the Oceanis has more space, a bigger freezer, more tankage but then the First would not need a so big diesel tank because it will sail in conditions were a Oceanis will have to motor.

Regarding comfort, the Oceanis will be more comfortable on anchor or in a Marina but the First will be more comfortable sailing with an easier sea motion, especially upwind.

Regarding the bimini, these kind of boats (performance cruisers) can use a bimini while sailing, a small one that will only protect the back of the boat, not the big one that the boats that have the traveler over the cabin can have, but then the type of sailors that sail performance cruisers will want to see the sail shape when they sail and that is impossible with a big bimini.

Anyway, if you want you can ask them to put the traveler over the cabin and then you can have a big bimini. It will not make not much sense on this type of boat and with the cruisers they are designed to, but that would not be a problem for Beneteau. About the Dodger I don't see what you mean. The First has a Dodger and not a especially small one on the option list.

Regards

Paulo
tdw and AlaskaMC like this.

Last edited by PCP; 10-02-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-03-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

We have an older First--1986. Some details on the boat are given commencing on page 34 at Southwinds. We do not consider cruising on HyLyte "roughing it".

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 10-03-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
We have an older First--1986. Some details on the boat are given commencing on page 34 at Southwinds. We do not consider cruising on HyLyte "roughing it".

FWIW...
I think there's been a shift in the 'First' focus in the last few years over what was produced in the 80s.. The older boats were racier designs with better deck gear but otherwise fit and finish was standard Beneteau - hulls were not as shallow and light as the current crop so the cruising aspects didn't suffer.

Now I think there's a considerable difference in the Oceanus vs 'Firsts' in hull shapes and weights, leading to a 'racier' First, or more contrast between the two, if you will...

But still, I don't think any 'First' series boat would qualify as a 'stripped out racer'. They are certainly 'cruisable' but you're not going to load 2 months worth of groceries and keep them frozen on a First....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-03-2012

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

FWIW...
I have raced on a First 42 and it is one of my favorites. Well built, seakindly, fast, nice lines. A boat that you would be comfortable crossing an ocean on. In fact, I was unsuccessfully looking for one when I found my (different) boat.
Old 10-03-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I think there's been a shift in the 'First' focus in the last few years over what was produced in the 80s.. The older boats were racier designs with better deck gear but otherwise fit and finish was standard Beneteau - hulls were not as shallow and light as the current crop so the cruising aspects didn't suffer.

Now I think there's a considerable difference in the Oceanus vs 'Firsts' in hull shapes and weights, leading to a 'racier' First, or more contrast between the two, if you will...

Hi! There is certainly a difference in hull shape but not a very significant one in weight: For the Oceanis 41 they give 8450kg, for the First 40 cr 7900kg. Considering that the Oceanis is not only longer but a lot beamier that is not a big difference.

I would say that the bigger difference has to do with B/D ratio (much bigger on the First) and with the bow entries and the forward part of the boat that is much slicker on the First. Of course the Oceanis is also a lot beamier has almost all beam brought back but that has not to do with being a cruiser or a performance cruiser but with design criteria and what performance they want to privilege. For example the Pogo or the Opium have that kind of beam and transom (as well as fine entries) and are performance cruisers while other pure medium weight cruisers have the First ballance design criteria, I mean a more traditional ballance without a big beam all brought to the transom.

In the past there was not this divergence between the line of First and Oceanis and the balance in what regards performances and design criteria was much more even between the two lines, being off course the First more slicker and powerful (more D/B ratio).

Now I would say that regarding design criteria the Oceanis privilege much more downwind sailing (and sailing with a smal angle of heel) while the First privilege more upwind sailing and sailing in rough seas. That makes a lot of sense because most cruisers motor when they have to go dead upwind and stay in Port when the weather is rough.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-03-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2012
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road

We also own a 80s First 42.. moved aboard it almost 10 years ago and have cruised the West Coast from Alaska to Mexico.. leaving in the spring for Hawaii and the Marshalls.. we're both 60 and handle the boat fine..
She is fast, the boat, not my wife, and love the way she handles the rough stuff, again, the boat..
for cruising, the water tanks are slacking but we cured that issue with a watermaker..
In the last ten years of having R3, we've never seen another boat that we would rather have.. we feel we made the right choice..
Attached Thumbnails
Beneteau Oceanis vs First-beneteau-first-42-side-vieu.jpg  

Last edited by RandyonR3; 10-06-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.