Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012

sjcdwright is on a distinguished road
Beneteau Oceanis vs First

Size for size which is the better boat in terms of strength and build for cruising?
Looking to get a 40 approx to go do the Fl - Carribean - Venezuela - Belize -Mexico circuit with 2 people ..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Beneteau Oceanis vs First

Oceanis model is made for cruising, first is made for speed.

Really dude, the Bendytoy site talks that out pretty clearly.
Old 09-28-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We have friends (a couple in their 60s) cruising Grenada to Antigua each winter on their B First 36.7. They live simply and don't miss/need the amenities offered in the Oceanus series. They sail fast, mostly heavily reefed, and often a bit wet in the trades between islands. They have a blast, but are definitely in the minority looking at the typical boats cruising the region. The 36.7 has stood the test for the last 8 years without any issues.

There will be more comfort in the Oceanus.. less performance too.. so it's up to the priorities....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-28-2012

@Chuckles, Thanks for that info. I was sort of aware of that aspect but it is not clear if there any fundamental strength differences in the boats. Apart from the better cruising accommodations of the Oceanis series, is one more "bendy" than the other?
Old 09-29-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

The short reply is that there is little difference in build quality between the Firsts and other, more cruising oriented, boats. That said, because the Firsts are intended for racing, at least a part of the time, they may be somewhat more heavily constructed for a given size range as they are expected to endure more rigorous demands--and they do. As for differences in "amenities", the lines are comparable but the First do have somewhat less beam, and accordingly storage, as they are more performance oriented. A race crew will easily carry on in conditions that might have a cruising crew heaving too, hence the racing yacht will be subjected to greater demands. That said, for a crew of two, the Firsts really have all the amenities a couple could want, at least in my view. For a perspective on cruising a First, have a look at Sailing with Ocean Angel, our close friends and neighbors cruising a sister ship to ours.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 09-29-2012

svHyLyte
Thats very useful information , thanks, it will expand my search range considerably.
Old 09-29-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Also check out Andy and Liz Copeland's books and site.. they circumnavigated on a late 80s First 38.. and are still cruising her here in BC today.

About Cruising - Liza / Andy Copeland & Bagheera

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-30-2012

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

My impression is that the Firsts are not just much faster but better built. But I have no experience with the Oceanis, just the Firsts.
Old 09-30-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We have friends (a couple in their 60s) cruising Grenada to Antigua each winter on their B First 36.7. They live simply and don't miss/need the amenities offered in the Oceanus series. They sail fast, mostly heavily reefed, and often a bit wet in the trades between islands. They have a blast, but are definitely in the minority looking at the typical boats cruising the region. The 36.7 has stood the test for the last 8 years without any issues.

There will be more comfort in the Oceanus.. less performance too.. so it's up to the priorities....
Hi Faster There are a couple with a First 40.7 that sailed extensively including the Antartic seas and love their boat.

I would say that the First is a better sail boat in a sense that sails better, is more stiff and probably more seaworthy.

It is obvious that the Oceanis offer more amenities for cruising, with more space, more tankage and so on.

If it is up to you to decide.

I would say that if you can cruise comfortably on a First and it offers you enough space for living...well, it sails better, is more stiff and has a bigger AVS and overall stability than an Oceanis. You have to define your priorities.

Regards

Paulo
Faster likes this.
Old 09-30-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinRI View Post
My impression is that the Firsts are not just much faster but better built. But I have no experience with the Oceanis, just the Firsts.
I don't think the biggest difference is the building quality but the different design criteria and most of all the sailing hardware (winches size, fittings and deck equipment) that is of remarkably better quality on a First.

That is what makes a First substantially more expensive than a same sized Oceanis, never mind the bigger and brighter interior of the Oceanis, that probably cost more to produce.

However if we are talking about the First 40, the current model I would say that the boat has a "small" detail that makes it unsuitable for cruising: I am talking about the ridiculous space of the chain locker.

Contrary to the previous model, the 40.7, the First 40 is not popular among cruisers due to that handicap but while you wait for them to sort it out (it has taken already a long time) you have boats with the same sailing criteria that make very good cruisers like the Dufour 40, the Salona 41, the Dehler 41, just to mention some.

Regards

Paulo