SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

C&C 26 Impressions

10K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ahab211 
#1 ·
:rolleyes:C&C has manufactures 3 versions of their 26' - the original 26, the Encounter and finally the 26' Wave. Would be interested in finding out the different sailing characteristics of each model as to how tender, pointing abilities, hull speed etc.:rolleyes:

#3 ·
The original 26 was part of the same series including 29 MK1 and the 34 - some of the earliest cored-hull production boats from C&C. It's a roomy boat for it's length, a bit boxy-looking compared to the standard C&C fare of the day. All three boats were said to be 'tender', but sailed well by all reports.

Not sure of the difference between that 26 and the 'Encounter'... only a year apart.

The 26 Wave looks to be simply a shoal draft version of the 27 MK5.. virtually identical moldings and dimensions. Late 80s offering, good looking boats with crisp molding detailing on deck. I've not heard of people claiming tenderness for that boat, but in general most C&Cs sail quite well, as I'm sure you know.

Hull speeds will be similar.. that's a function of length rather than design - esp when planing is not going to be involved.

#4 ·
Faster, made a point about the hulls, and I checked my 'owners manual' and the 'Encounter' 26 has "Single unit moulded fiberglass, alternate layers mat and woven roving". The deck is "alternate layers hand laid up mat and roving, balsa cored". Maybe they changed things in later boats, I'll check with CnC Photoalburm, but that is what my book says. I'm thinking this is a good thing? I think she is a little tender, it doesn't take much to heel her over, but she does sail well. If under main only, a guest of about 15 will round her up, and nothing you can do to stop her, a good thing for stupid people like me who, 'THINKS' they are sailors! Look forward to hearing more about your boat.

#5 ·
I have a C&C 34, and while my experience is limited, I don't think of her as tender... more as spirited. I find she just likes to sail at 15-25 degrees over... almost no matter the wind speed.

I had a problem of her rounding up in gusts, but now I just trim accordingly on a gusty day, and not much issue anymore.

As for hull speed, I've had her above hull speed for consistent stretches, without feeling like I was on edge of control.

#6 ·
I like that..."spirited". C&C's traditionally are stiff boats. The construction as well as the use of the balsa helped with their frame strength and rigidty. It can be like different cars...some people love power steering...some like the feel of the road. With a C&C you will feel like you are sailing and you can respond accordingly. The tenderness is part that and part learning how to keep the boat on its feet without over trimming it or having too much sail area for conditions. While its fun to bury the rail at times, long term sailing and cruising for most on here not racing it would wear them out kept up over 6 hours time. Each boat you have the find whats its sweet spot is and how to reduce sail area and from which sail

Our C&C 35 MKIII likes a full main and reefed headsail first, other boats handle differently. She is faster at 20 knots steady with a partially reefed 135 and full main, then leaving everything up and depowering or reefing the main. Different trails have taught me that.

I have sailed a lot on all three of the 26 and they are fun boats. Quuality when built was good. Condition depends on the owners maintainence and upkeep program individual; for each boat.

Dave

#7 ·
If under main only said:
That doesn't sound good -- I just sold my Mirage 26 which did very well at gusts of even 20 knots ( bottom of flags curl and white caps - right?) she was her best heeled over between 15 to 25 degrees. Just bought my C&C which was dry docked and had her shipped to my Marina -was impressed by the interior space, wide decks, diesel engine and also her wheel steering. Never had her in the water and can't wait until next spring but now I feel perhaps I should have done some research before handing over the bank draft.

#8 ·
That doesn't sound good -- I just sold my Mirage 26 which did very well at gusts of even 20 knots ( bottom of flags curl and white caps - right?) she was her best heeled over between 15 to 25 degrees. Just bought my C&C which was dry docked and had her shipped to my Marina -was impressed by the interior space, wide decks, diesel engine and also her wheel steering. Never had her in the water and can't wait until next spring but now I feel perhaps I should have done some research before handing over the bank draft.
You made a good decision. Its a great boat

#9 ·
No, you did not waste your money, the 26 is a great boat, my rounding up is because I only sail on main alone. Everyone will tell you CnC's are well built boats! Did not mean to give you any negative feelings about the 26, I love mine, as you say it has alot of room on deck, and below.

#10 ·
I don't think you have anything to worry about. I'd rather have a boat that was lively enough to react to a puff than a dog that can't get out of her own way... C&C knew what they were doing.

As long as all the usuals were checked/surveyed/dealt with you'll be just fine.

#11 ·
Thanks .. felt a bit disappointed for a while but I'm over it. Why sail with main alone? When only going out for a quick sail I sometimes only put up the fore sail because putting up the main is a bit of a hassle for me.

#13 · (Edited)
I have a C&C 24 but have never seen a 26! I have a 26 Mirage and a 27 C&C near my boat and there are many 25's but on lake St. Claire where there many C&C's the 26 is elusive! My 24 is tender but well built and fun to sail! I like my marina neighbor's Mirage 26 and had offered to buy it before I bought mine several years ago. If the C&C 26 sails like it, it!s a nice all around boat( especially with it's diesel inboard and this guy has Rolly Tasker heavy duty sails)! My other neighbor has a 82 27 C&C he bought new over $30k and is still a great boat! WhAt years were the 26's made?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.