Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012

mstern is on a distinguished road
Re: thoughts on 1971 Yankee Dolphin 24?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanL View Post
mstern- thanks for the reminder about checking for deck fittings and water intrusion. that dern shifty water, always trying to sneak its way into boats!

what do you mean when you say 'not as comfortable in light airs"? harder to maneuver/steer because of slower speeds, or the actually comfort of sitting on the boat as it reacts slower to any wave action since you won't be zipping along?

for the most part, i do want a boat that performs well (aka not a macgreagor), but am not looking to race or expect to break any speed records (partner is new sailor). mostly something to get out in after work, or to take out for an overnight on some weekends.
When I wrote "not as comfortable or as good in light airs", I meant to highlight two different points: the cabin is uncomfortable (relatively), and the boat is not a great sailer in light air. The very pretty hull shape and profile of the Dolphin is derived from the CCA and wooden workboat-inspired designs that were common at that time. Most builders were still taking wood boat designs, and modestly adapting them to be built in fiberglass. The low freeboard, swooping sheer, small cockpit, and low cabin top look gorgeous, but also have the effect of making the cabin interior small and dark. Because of these very common traits of sailboats of the era, I find their cabins to be relatively less comfortable and roomy below. Tankage and amenities tend to be spartan. No evil intent on the part of the designers or builders, but that was the standard wisdom and consumer expectation of the day. If you are just daysailing, then no worries. The cabin isn't your primary concern. And you may still find that "camping on the water" mindset to fit your goals and interests. However, if you have expectations of more creature comforts while staying on your boat, the more recent designs will fit your plans better.

As for sailing ability, the Dolphin is a full keel boat. It has more wetted surface (more drag), and I think weighs more than more modern designs. Generally speaking, full keel designs do not point as high into the wind, nor tack as easily as a fin keel boat. I have never sailed on a Dolphin, but my experience with full keel boats is that they aren't as fast or as manuverable, and they need more wind to get up and go. And because they are heavy and have so much of their body dragging through the water, they just aren't as fast. Oh, and backing up with a full keel boat under power is always an exercise in random movement. It takes a lot of practice to get that manuver to the point where it isn't terrifying. Full keel designs have their plusses: they track straight like they are on rails, they are generally less vulnerable to grounding damage (although the centerboard on Dolphin makes this less of an advantage for that design), and the rudder is better protected. For my money, they just don't sail as well as a fin keeled boat, and that's the bottom line. That all being said, full keel boats to me look so beautiful above the water line that its almost worth it. Almost.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Well put mstern.
I can only add that we raced our full keeled T27 against a fleet of fin keeled boats (T30, C30, O'Day 27 and 25 ...) this season and took 1st place. Sure, our PHRF is higher then most of the other boats and certainly the fin keeled models point higher into the wind but I find all of this to just add to the challenge.
The full keeled boat does track like a dream and as such is very forgiving since she can't turn on a dime. This quality also makes the boat a bit more comfortable in choppy water as the hull tends to punch through waves rather then over them.
I have grounded our T27 with the center board down and it has never caused a problem as the CB just tucks back up into the slot. I refer to it as our depth sounder since our electronic one does not work so well.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2012

RyanL is on a distinguished road

thought this went through yesterday, but i'll try again...
got around to looling at the boat and it looked solid- for a 40 year old boat. i guess it's part of the learning process as i look around.

the more time i spent on it, the more i could see what is simple grime and what needs actual repair. rigging needs replacement, the running rigging was pretty crusty/sun baked.

the big question on my mind is the standing rigging: are those the original wires? could be, since it's spent most of its life on the light winds and fresh water of the potomac river. it was previously a local club boat (i've contacted them trying to get a better sense of maintenance over the years). i'll leave that question to a surveyor, if we come to that point, as that's not something to guess on...

the cabin is tiny, as folks have recalled. just the way boats used be be made, i suppose. i could live with it though, as 90% of time on the boat will be day sailing, and i'm used to backpack camping and roughing it. i learned to sail on a 25' drascombe gig in florida, camping under a tarp in the keys for 2 weeks at a time. amazing boat- too bad i couldn't get my hands on one!

solid bones, new motor, rigged for single handing.
Attached Thumbnails
thoughts on 1971 Yankee Dolphin 24?-img_0393.jpg   thoughts on 1971 Yankee Dolphin 24?-img_0396.jpg  

Tags
yankee dolphin