Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Seafarer 34 Purchase - Trampoline Deck Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Given the facts that we are currently experiencing one of the best buyers' markets ever and that there is a surplus of good used boats available, why would you take a risk and buy a boat in reliance on a promise that a repair would be made?

If I read your post correctly, you have not yet physically inspected the boat.

Google "Seafarer sailboats" and discover the facts. Don Casey and many others suggest you buy a known quality boat, that means a boat that was produced in great enough numbers to establish its value, its quality and its likely problem areas given its age.
Well Seafarer sailboats are a fairly well known boat, while not the hugest volume producer (not really an indicator of quality) they are known to be fairly high quality boats, nothing that would scare me away from a good example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
I would consider the repair estimate very low, assuming you want a quality repair. Refinishing a repaired deck and cockpit is far more difficult and expensive than the hull - you are looking at the deck and cockpit, up close, all the time you are using the boat.

I would expect a proper repair, proper being one that is not immediately obvious every time you look a the deck, would cost at least three times the quoted estimate.

The boat is not worth anything more than the salvage value of the engine, maybe not that.
Yes, this is harsh but likely true. With so many good boats out there the only way this would make sense would be if you offered the guy a $1,000 and have it trucked to your back yard, and do the work yourself. I don't think any contractor is going to do a very good job for $5,000. I would think you will want to paint the whole boat, as it will need it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
I replaced about 12 square feet of balsa cored cockpit sole this Spring. It took about 25 hours but wasn't very complicated -- I coated the sole with Kiwi Grip and made no attempt to replicate the original non-skid. At $80 per hour the labor would have been $2K.

None-the-less, I would suspect that the current owner would be better off scrapping the boat rather than investing the $5,200 to repair the deck. The combined value of 4,800 lbs of lead ballast and the diesel exceeds the $8,300 the owner would get net of the cost of deck repairs and sales commission.
Again true.

I will say to that I looked at a Seafarer 36 and I stepped on the deck and bounced and it was like a trampoline. The rest of the boat was a mess, and I told the broker I would not give the guy a $100 and he told me I was right. He only listed the boat because the father of the owner was a friend of his.

I am still looking. Lots of boats out there in my price range, just not a lot of good boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2012

jamesnewsome is on a distinguished road

The Seafarers are overall very good older classic fiberglass boats. Like many boats of their era, the decks on some models are balsa core. Soft decks are obviously indicative of water intrusion through an area with a weak seal. Most likely a deck fitting, or some modification by a previous owner has caused the problem.

In my opinion, an otherwise good boat should not be parted out just because of this problem. Repair is possible and fairly common. I've seen several boats other than Seafarers with the same problem and were repaired by their owners. Once non-skid paid is applies the repair shouldn't be detected.

I do not think the asking price of $15k is that great of a deal with or without the soft deck issue. With the issue I think the price is entirely unrealistic. Others have suggested that the boat should be surveyed and professionally appraised. I could not agree more.

I certainly hope the S34 is saved. They are wonderful boats with a very loyal following. I have owned a S29 for over 12 years and have been very involved with other Seafarer owners for just as long.

If you're interested in specific advice on the S34 I suggest joining the Seafarer Yacht Group on Facebook. Currently, we have over 150 owners/members, and to my knowledge this is the largest Seafarer member group in existence. There is also a good forum for Seafarer owners on this web site. Here's the link to the Facebook group.

I look forward to hearing more about the restoration.

J Newsome
sv Roma - Seafarer 29
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 10-06-2012
Lookin' for an excuse ...

CaptTony is on a distinguished road

Here is a final on the subject Seafarer. I went to view her and it was not a good time. Every deck fitting on the boat was surrounded by stress cracks in the fiberglass and there were cracks in areas of the deck that had no fittings anywhere near the cracks. The damaged core was forward in just one spot and in the cockpit. Nevertheless, I looked at that deck and knew there had to be other festering problems. Down below, the cabin sole had buckled running down the center of the cabin.

The broker fired up the relatively new Yanmar and it really purred. Unfortunately, there was black water in the bilge under the motor, so I'm not sure what that was all about.

So, that is the end of that. Sailingfool hit it on the nailhead. The value in the boat is strictly salvage.
Old 11-06-2012

BlackOak is on a distinguished road

I was looking around the web for information on a seafarer 34 and found this thread. I am wondering if this is a "normal" issue for a seafarer or just poor care from the owner.
Thanks

Last edited by BlackOak; 11-06-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-07-2012
Lookin' for an excuse ...

CaptTony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
I am wondering if this is a "normal" issue for a seafarer or just poor care from the owner.
Thanks
If you are asking me, I have no idea. This is the only Seafarer I looked at. It was in really bad shape. I would be real careful of any Seafarer this old given the condition of this boat.
Old 11-08-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

The owner just needs to change his marketing to emphasize the dual purpose nature of the boat. For example,

"Do you realize that jumping on a trampoline is one of the best forms of cardovascular exercise?
Did you know sailing can actually lower your blood pressure?
How would you like to relax during your next workout? Think it is not possible?
Introducing the trampoline boat - merging a superior cardiovascular workout with the best relaxation money can buy!
Jump to your heart's content while sailing, losing calories and hypertension!
Only on the trampoline boat!

Tags
core repair , seafarer 34