Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Mason 43 for under $40,000!

I actually have been up to Newberryport Mass to look at this boat Simplicity, The issues with this boat were the deck, the engine and the overall condtion of the boat.

Replacing or taking out a teak deck and not replacing it with more teak would not deter me from buying a well made boat like this. I do know what that costs so do not rail on and on about that. Replacing the engine would also not deter me from buying this boat. Replacing its engine is actually easy and straightforward as its under the sole. I also know what a replacement engine costs, so no need to rail onabout that either. The fuel tanks are not hard to replace either. If this boat was priced correctly comenserate with the work that needed to be done I would have boaught it. In fact I had put an offer on it, but the owner and I could not agree on a price. This boat is far from a project boat, but you would want to spend about $40,000 in upgrades to engi8ne, deck and electronics.

I would actually rather do that to this excelaantly made boat with another 40 years left in her than suffer with a plastic modern boat which is newer. Isnt that always the tradeoff for those of us who see the beauty in the older designed boats anyway.

This in no way is meant to disparage someone who would choose the opposite. Its different strokes for different folks. To me the beauty and integrity of these Mason under sail is what floats my boat. ( But at the correct price)

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-04-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandKarens34 View Post
Simplicity hasn't sold for two years because of the life expectancy of her equipment. She has over 5000 hours on her engine and the balance of her is nearing the end of service. While the woodwork on a Mason is mind boggling, so is ripping it out to get to chain plates and such. Masons have issues with the shower leaking and doing tons of damage. Iron fuel tanks are not easily removed and replaced. There are a host of issues with older Masons similar to the other Asian cruisers. Go to the Mason owner's site and check out the posts. Many have dropped $50,000 fixing the tired systems. What you don't spend up front you will spend later. Overhauling a 43 foot boat is a mind numbing job. I've overhauled two boats and I'm about out of patience with the work. I've lost 5 years of sailing doing maintenance and in the final analysis, I would have done better not to have spent the time. I can make money. I cannot make time.
I see a lot of boats that sit not selling for years and years. Then others sell quickly. It seems to make no sense at all in some cases, in others the reason is obvious. (both in the selling and in the not selling)

I like that "I can make money. I cannot make time." Very valid, unless you are a tinkerer by nature. Then the project is the fun, look at the people who spend years restoring a boat and once done sell it.
Old 10-04-2012
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

If you're going to seriously cruise a boat, you're going to have to fix it at some point - and that means having those skills, since there are many locations where those skills simply are not available. Sure you can make money, but money doesn't count when there's no one to spend it with. In Cuba, for example, I couldn't pay a local to fix my outboard, at least not with cash. I ended up giving him 10 pounds of dog kibble for his wife's dog (dog food is not available in Cuba) and a bunch of old parts laying around the boat that had value to him.
A good argument can be made that the serious cruiser should purchase an older boat and fix it him/herself and learn how it's done, in a place where supplies (and help!) are available. And if you're going to do that, then purchasing a well built boat rather than a plastic clorox bottle is the way to go.
davidpm likes this.

Cuba - Forbidden Paradise

Old 10-04-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
if your not going to do your own work, run! If you do your own work you might get lucky and break even.
Good point - I tend to assume people know that. Unless you have virtually bottomless pockets you CANNOT pay someone else to restore a project boat, it simply costs too much.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-04-2012
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

Quote:
If you do your own work you might get lucky and break even.
Actually, it's not so much the break even thing that counts, but that you'll end up with a boat you can call your own for more than having just spent money on it. You've put your blood, sweat and tears (thank you Winston) into it, and it's truly your boat.
I have to tell you, when Yannie rumbles to life and purrs along contentedly, when I raise the sails and see that patch - not so pretty, but solid - when I look back and see the light reflecting off the paint job I laboured for so long to do....I get a feeling of pride in my vessel that ordinary money simply cannot buy.
SloopJonB and Bob142 like this.

Cuba - Forbidden Paradise