SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Have you sailed a Trimaran ?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  zz4gta 
#1 ·
Hello All;

I am looking for some experiences from Trimaran sailors - especially sailors of the:

Corsair 750, Corsair F-24, and Corsair 24 and the
Dragonfly 800 and Dragonfly 25

Is anyone familiar with any of these boats? If so, how do they do in the ocean (i.e. off the coast of southern California)? Are they stable enough for single-handed sailing?

Comments on other similar trimarans are also welcome.

Thanks, Richard

#2 ·
I did a little more checking on Trimarans this morning and they look Expensive! The 14' - 18' models are not too bad, but the 24' - 26' models are $25 - $100 K. This may be another false start.

Any different opinions among the readers?

#3 ·
The corsairs ARE pricey.. I've spent some time on a F-25C (all carbon) and it was an amazing ride - but not dry.

Our friends who owned it and mostly doublehanded while 'cruising' spent more time trying to slow down than to maintain full speed. But it's quite a rush when you get things right - even if it isn't what I'd call relaxing sailing.

#4 ·
I have sailed on Corsairs. My experience has been that a Dragonfly is harder to find than a unicorn, something lots of brokers will agree with.

Your best bet is to hitch a ride on one or more of these boats. This should not be hard to do if you are located in Southern California. There are many of them sailing over that area. It is not uncommon for the owners to single hand them.

The question you may really want answered is could you sail a tri off the coast of Southern California single handed. Going out on one would help you answer this question.

To address your second post Fboats are not cheap and a Dragonfly is probably even more expensive if you can find one. This is a function of supply and demand in the market.

#5 ·
I've been on an F27 during a race. It was an absolute blast in breeze, 25-30+. Double reef and jib we're doing 14+ on a reach. Downwind with the screecher we hit 23 kts of boat speed before the shroud let go and we dropped the rig.

In breeze, there's NOTHING relaxing about these boats. It's a firehose on deck and out on the tramps. Don't know about light air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.