Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012

dnf777 is on a distinguished road
Re: Champagne taste on a beer budget

Add me to the consensus here. For 10-15k, you should be able to get a really nice, relatively young trailerable boat for the bay. I was having a similar debate myself last year, and ended up with a Precision-21 that sails great in light wind, carries the family easily, and gave us a GREAT year of lake sailing. I have no regrets, and a great season under my belt. Good luck with your choice. You got lots of good advice from folks with much more experience than I here.
Old 10-03-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Let me offer another perspective. If I had the $$ for a boat and was a DC Apartment dweller, I would want a boat comfortable for weekending so I could get out of the city in the summer.

I was going to suggest a Sabre 28, might be a good choice, but something like a Catalina 30, that's roomy, a decent light air boat and plentiful might be a better choice for your first Chesapeake Bay boat.

Personally, I think there are lots of days when anything less than about 30' really suffers on the bay. Those small boats just don't look like much fun on those days with 20 knots and a good chop going.
chef2sail likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
As an apartment dwelling, non-land owning citizen a trailer sailor is a less then ideal setup. Throw in the Mini-Cooper and it is just a bad idea....
I agree and had been typing that during the period that he posted and didn't see his situation until after I'd posted .

I could just delete it, but left if in case someone else reading this was in a similar situation looking for a boat, but did have a house and a possible tow vehicle.

Seeing his situation, renting and small car, the boat situation (options) does change since he will be slipping it,

Sum

-------------------------------------------------

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

Old 10-03-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

Well if you want to sail get out their buy a boat you will get you money back on it and keep dreaming. You can always move up 3 foot ieties is all around you. I have had 6 boats in 40 years. It started with a Laser and move to a Sea spray 15 catamaran then to a Sanjuan 21 then to a Captiva 240 and then to a Beneteau first 285 and then to a Beneteau 340 new. So I have been sailing for 4o year now I am glad I didnt sit on the couch wishing and dreaming. Life is passing you by get on the boat and sail my freind. Life is to short!!! You can always move up to the boat of your dreams when you are ready.
Old 10-04-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Someone famous once said that the most bitter regrets are for the things one did Not do.

Buy a decent boat and get out there. There IS no "perfect" boat because your tastes will change over time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-04-2012
gts1544

gts1544 is on a distinguished road

emcentar, I concur with the "Go Now" crowd. With $10,000, I would plan to spend about $6000 for the boat and retain the remainder for initial expenses and fix up. Remember that cosmetic clean up is relatively inexpensive, though requiring elbow grease, and will pay dividends at resale. Major work (diesel engine / rigging / sails) can be expensive and should be avoided by purchasing wisely. After you have done your due diligence, pay $400 for a professional in and out of water survey. Insist on everything being operated. It will be the best money that you will spend resulting in no surprises.
Old 10-04-2012

CapnBones is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
[*]Really nice boats sell.
[*]Really nice small boats sell fast.
[*]Older boats have already depreciated. Make 'em look clean and you'll get your money back.
[*]If you go a little smaller you can buy something nice without busting your budget.
[*]Once you start sailing your ideas of what you want will change and small boats are great teachers.[/LIST]
Well I don't think I could have put it better. The boats in your price range have already depreciated about as far as they are going to(kept in reasonable condition). I went out and found a dirty one and got it real cheap compared to what the clean ones are selling for. Some elbow grease and I have a beautiful boat. Clean boats say something and sell fast for good money. You will be spending money on maintenance and slip fees, but the actual cost of the boat you should be able to get back selling it if you play it right. Sail now!
Old 10-04-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Let me add my agreement to what has been written here. I just bought a nice older Cat 22 on a trailer for a song. My family and I have had an absolute blast on it this summer and plans are already taking shape for big fun next year. I'm ecstatic with this purchase and my buddy who has a big expensive diesel inboard Hunter 32 says he wishes he did the same as me.

Not saying get a Cat 22 - just saying that a cheaper boat can be just as much (or more) fun. I actually almost walked away from this particular boat because it was filthy. I went back and looked again. Underneath the dirt was a nice boat. An hour with a power washer was like a miracle. So dirt can be a buyers friend.
Old 10-04-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I am going to add another view point: In the $10k range, maintenance and slip fees will quickly surpass the purchase price, and you will probably get back most of what you bought the boat for... So, maybe saving a little more and stretching the budget into a boat you really want would be a good choice. However, consider cost saving measures: Plan on doing all the work yourself on the boat (and lots of it in the first few years). Make sure you store the boat in a place you are allowed to work on your own boat. Consider a mooring rather than a slip. Also, don't assume that you will want to move up to another boat in the future. It is possible that a boat in the 27-30 foot range will be just right for anything you plan on doing.
Old 10-04-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner10 View Post
I agree and had been typing that during the period that he posted and didn't see his situation until after I'd posted .

I could just delete it, but left if in case someone else reading this was in a similar situation looking for a boat, but did have a house and a possible tow vehicle.

Seeing his situation, renting and small car, the boat situation (options) does change since he will be slipping it,

Sum
Sum,
No harm, no foul.
I know that a trailer sailboat is by far the most affordable means of getting into sailing and you were just pointing this out.
There is absolutely no reason to delete your post as someone else would likely bring up the trailer sailor idea anyway.
Can you picture a MiniCooper towing a Mac 26 S?
Hilarious! It would make a great ad campaign for the Mini people though, eh?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.