SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Which is worse, a CAT that has some hull slap or Mono rolling on the hook? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/92719-worse-cat-has-some-hull-slap-mono-rolling-hook.html)

GCASKEW 10-03-2012 04:19 PM

Which is worse, a CAT that has some hull slap or Mono rolling on the hook?

I keep hearing that a Gemini Catamaran has hull slap sometimes at anchor, while most mono's roll at anchor.

So the question is, which is worse at anchor, some hull slap sometimes or rolling most times?

Zanshin 10-04-2012 07:25 AM

Re: Which is worse, a CAT that has some hull slap or Mono rolling on the hook?

If the waves are steep enough to slap on the bottom of a Gemini then they will probably be uncomfortable aboard a monohull as well. I've been aboard both types of boats in swell and found the mono to be less uncomfortable - but I'm biased as a mono sailor.

Minnewaska 10-04-2012 08:15 AM

I believe it take substantially more wave action to create a roll on a mono, than it does to create hull slap. The later, therefore, being much more common.

jameswilson29 10-04-2012 09:36 AM

The answer to your question is find a better anchorage.

TQA 10-04-2012 09:48 AM

Rolling at anchor is worse than slap IMHO.

BUT you can usually fix the roll by attaching a spring line to the anchor and angling the boat so it is head to the swell.

Mono owner.

Faster 10-04-2012 09:49 AM

Plenty of monos with reverse transoms and flattish counters can 'slap' badly too - not usually on the hook but with a stern wind at a dock (or strong tidal infuence spinning you around) and will do it in conditions that would not bother a cat. The noise is irksome to say the least, much more so than the feeling of rolling.

I find I can get comfortable as the boat moves to the swells (within reason), but the slap keeps me awake.

btw Zanshin and JW29 make good points...

MMR 10-04-2012 12:04 PM

If you're talking hull slap, I agree with "find a better anchorage". Our Gemini had an annoying rudder "knock" at anchor occasionally (rudders banging back and forth) that happened when we were cross to the current (or a current bouncing off the shore). This usually occurred when we had both a bow and stern line out (med mooring close to shore), and we could usually jury-rig a swim noodle against the rudder to minimize the thumps.

Never had hull slap at anchor, except in storms and powerboat wakes.

chucklesR 10-05-2012 11:33 AM

"hull slap" on a Gemini is an issue only in choppy confused water.
The stern under the cockpit is about 10 inches above the water, a following wave can 'slap it'. The bow of course slowly slopes down from 38 or so inches to that 10 inch level, a confused sea can slap it as well.

Generally, not so much. Never a constant thing wave after wave.

Now water over the bow, same story, only if you are speeding along in chop (4 footers) with a period (distance) between waves that has you plowing into a wave while your stern is rising on the last wave.

At anchor, steady and good sleeping. Nice big open cockpit for socializing.

Do not over load the boat with weight, performance and ride are greatly affected.

GCASKEW 10-06-2012 09:55 AM

I keep coming back to a used Gemini for the Bahamas and the Caribbean. I've been told you need a 40 monohull to be able to enjoy the Caribbean but I just can't see why the Gemini won't be perfect.
May just get the Gemini and the web experts be damned. .. :-)

kd3pc 10-06-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCASKEW (Post 930221)
I keep coming back to a used Gemini for the Bahamas and the Caribbean. I've been told you need a 40 monohull to be able to enjoy the Caribbean but I just can't see why the Gemini won't be perfect.
May just get the Gemini and the web experts be damned. .. :-)

You need to weed out the "web experts" as most likely don't own a boat of any kind let alone a Gemini....

The Gemini, a newer one, would be awesome to spend a while in the islands...just understand it's limits, and enjoy it's features...

The salon table seats are awesomely comfortable, and the queen berth is as good as the get.

It is as perfect a boat for two people, and some stuff - not a lot.....as you will find at the price point.....

Personally I would buy used and just go sailing!!! damn the experts...