Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Tell Me About Jeanneaus

Hi all. I have fallen hard for the Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409. I first saw her at Annapolis last year, but put her out of my mind since the salesman said they only made a 3 cabin. Now I see they have a 2 cabin/1head model with the most amazing forward cabin I've ever seen and I'm back in love again. Problem is, I don't know a single thing about the brand, so I'm looking for info from the collected wisdom. I'd like to know about their construction quality, sailing ability, company reputation, notable issues or anything else you can think of to help educate me. I'm also curious if they would be considered "blue water" capable or more "coastally" suited like my Cat 36. Thanks for your help.

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2012

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Re: Tell Me About Jeanneaus

Jeanneau belongs to Groupe Beneteau and the group is the world's largest producer of sailboats. Jeanneau manufactures exclusively in France while some of the Beneteau models are now also produced in the USA.

I'm on my third one (43DS, 49DS and now a Jeanneau 57) and when properly prepared I would consider all 3 to be bluewater capable boats, so far I've only taken the 57 from Annapolis (where it was displayed last year) to the Caribbean but the 8-day passage had some heavy weather and the boat didn't even notice although the crew certainly did. Many Jeanneaus have done the ARC or Pacific run and several have circumnavigated. Bluewater capability is a hotly contested subject here and many seem to consider only smaller to mid-sized, full-keeled, skeg-hung and massively builts boats to be such, but I'll just let the numbers (ARC lists, Cornell's statistics, etc.) speak for themselves. If your intent is to go around the Capes the wrong way or visit arctic waters then Jeanneau is most certainly not the correct choice. All of the bigger Jeanneaus are CE rated for offshore, although that certification is geared more towards fulfilling certain characteristics as opposed to being a true measure of offshore capabilities. The fuel tankage on the Jeanneaus is sufficient for normal onshore, Caribbean or Mediterranean cruising, but needs to be stocked up for true bluewater use.

The Jeanneau factory is quite impressive and efficiently organized. I took a tour (which I would recommend to anyone who finds themselves in the areas of Nantes, France) and posted some pictures from the factory tour here.

There is an active owner's forum at Jeanneau Owners Network Forum - Home and you can look through the threads to see typical owner problems and comments.
MikeinLA likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zanshin; 10-06-2012 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 10-06-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I believe the 409 is built in what is now a joint factory in SC, along with the 379 and any of the DS models using the same hulls.

ALL of the models except the smallest will have multiple interior options.
409 link
Sailboat Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - Jeanneau Yard
general jeanneau site
JEANNEAU shipyard, boatbuilder for sailing : sailboat, motorboat, powerboat racing boat cruising fishing yachting - Jeanneau Yard
owners news site that goes with the forum that zanshin linked earlier
http://jeanneau.tripod.com/

I would not be surprised if the 409 has not done an ocean passage or two or three. May Jeanneau models get used on the ARC out of Europe. with usually the highest % of boats in the crossing. The recent ARC world cruise, IIRC the 49 or 54'ish foot model was the most used.

Marty
MikeinLA likes this.
Old 10-06-2012

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

Interesting about the manufacture in the USA - A quick browse of the web showed references to the factory in Marion, SC. -- thus I stand corrected about the Jeanneau series being exclusively manufactured in France.

Old 10-06-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The Jeanneau factory is quite impressive and efficiently organized. I took a tour (which I would recommend to anyone who finds themselves in the areas of Nantes, France) and posted some pictures from the factory tour here.
That's one fine looking boat. I like the styling of the Jeanneau line. And yes, I still love my boat, but I'm allowed to look aren't I?
Old 10-06-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
That's one fine looking boat. I like the styling of the Jeanneau line. And yes, I still love my boat, but I'm allowed to look aren't I?
I suppose.... but if I was your boat I'd be a tad miffed!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-06-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

FWIW I recently checked out a Jeanneau Attalia - an early 80's 32' based on a hot IOR 1/2 ton hull. I didn't do a detailed survey of the boat but I found its build to be very similar to the Beneteaus I've been on.

Sort of like the old Buick / Oldsmobile thing.

It was a nicely turned out boat.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-06-2012

flyingriki is on a distinguished road

Crewed an SO-49 from the south Pacific to Honolulu and we pounded like big dogs the whole way. Didn't faze the boat. Sure rattled my bones but not the Jeanneau. Fabulous boat. I don't hear the same of Beneteau. Me thinks it's a different quality of boat. Seems to be indicated by the pricing differences......

49' Beneteau 49
•Year: 2007
•Current Price: US$ 289,000
•Located In San Diego, CA
•Hull Material: Fiberglass
•Engine/Fuel Type: Single diesel
•YW# 77288-2341638

49' Jeanneau SO 49 Performance
•Year: 2007
•Current Price: US$ 349,500
•Located In Anacortes, WA
•Hull Material: Fiberglass
•Engine/Fuel Type: Single diesel
•YW# 24190-1970295
Old 10-06-2012

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road

Damn, pass the Grey Poupon!

Old 10-06-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

Jeanneaux that I've come across in the past have all seemed somewhat better built than their super-refined & tightly engineered Beneteaux cousins. The mooring cleats were a tad bigger; the fittings a touch heftier; the door hinges & latches more substantial. This may or may not be a good thing, depending upon what you're looking for. Things may have changed some since Beneteau took over Jeanneau, but Jeanneau's base is still up by the English Channel and North Sea, while Beneteaux come from the relatively warmer waters of France's west coast.
MikeinLA likes this.