SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   First Boat/pocket cruiser (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/92907-first-boat-pocket-cruiser.html)

monge737 10-09-2012 07:55 PM

First Boat/pocket cruiser

I'm sure this has been asked before a thousand times but...
We're interested in buying our first boat, preferably something with a shallow draft, trailerable, pocket cruiser? We like the west wight potter 19. Any other similar boats, maybe a bit bigger?
Thanks All!

flagorio 10-09-2012 08:21 PM

First Boat/pocket cruiser

Pacific Seacraft Flicka
Or check out John Vigor 20 small boats to take you anywhere

capttb 10-09-2012 08:47 PM

Re: First Boat/pocket cruiser

Similar boats are the Sanibel 18 made by International Marine like Potters,
Sanibel by International Marine
and Montgomerys Montgomery Sailboats Owners Group
O'Day used to make a 19, Balboa had an 18, Catalina also had/has boats like the Capri 18 and 22, or Catalina 22.
This is an unofficial group of pocket cruisers which may be helpful to you also
SoCal Potters

monge737 10-09-2012 09:27 PM

I am looking at O'days as there seem to be many available. I am also interested in the rhodes 22. I left out that I'd be using this boat around the Delmarva peninsula, the chesapeake and the Delaware.

kwaltersmi 10-10-2012 11:18 AM

What's your budget? While maybe not necessarily suitable for your particular needs, these are my favorite "go-anywhere" pocket cruisers.

Captainmeme 10-10-2012 12:30 PM

We need to know about your budget, tow vehicle, how many people are going sailing, day, overnight, or weeks long trip. Help us help you.

sailingfool 10-10-2012 01:47 PM

"Trailerable" is a tough requirement, by that I assume you mean, can be launched from a trailer? If so, I suggest S2s as pretty much the only quality game in town.

S2 6.9 Sailboat "JollyMon": S2 6.9 Review

The 6.7/6.9 is a very sweet small cruiser and even the 26" 7.9 could be trailer launched.

miatapaul 10-11-2012 11:44 AM

I think it really depends on where you will be sailing. I don't think you need to worry about "go anywhere" for a first boat. It does not make sense to get a boat that can take blue water when you will never leave the Bay. Remember there are trade offs for everything and go anywhere will mean a boat that likely is not going to move as well in lighter airs, and be heavier, therefore harder to tow.

One methodology is to look at Craig's list find something you are very comfortable with financially and check back with us on specifics on that model. I don't think you can go too far wrong in that size for a boat to learn on. The great thing about CL boats is that they will be really cheap, and you will likely not lose too much if you decide you need more or less boat and sell in a year or two. Also they are boats in use in your area so you might be happy with the characteristics of that boat for your local conditions.

They won't necessarily be pretty, but these boats are pretty simple system wise and as long as it is solid you should be good to go. I think it is not a bad idea to stay with a major maker for your first boat so you can get support from either other owners or possibly the company if they are still around. You can sail the boat for a few seasons, get your scratches on a boat you don't have a lot invested in. You will learn what you really want in a boat and can look for that in the "next one" as there will always be a next one! Normally 3 feet larger, but sometimes a bigger jump. So after two or three seasons you may say I want to bring along some friends and get a much bigger boat, or you may say this is more than I need and turn around and get a Hobie Cat.

You might be interested in the following posts:
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-r...trip-tips.html

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-r...ssistance.html

oldragbaggers 10-17-2012 07:55 PM

+1 what Maitapaul said.

Even a Catalina 22 is going to be a pain to launch and retrieve everytime unless you have a powerful tow vehicle. And, although a Flicka is trailerable (meaning it can be hauled on a trailer) at 6000# and 3'3" draft is not a boat to be launched off your local boat ramp for a daysail.

YorktownSailor65 10-18-2012 08:43 PM

I grew up sailing on the Chesapeake Bay. I think the very best trailerable family cruising boat we ever had was the Catalina 22. My parents bought her new at the Annapolis Boat show in the early 80's. Ours had a "kick-up" rudder and a centerboard. Our family of FIVE went sailing on the Bay for up to a week at a time. It was very cozy, but the memories will last forever. We beached that boat all over the place and even weathered a few storms aboard that seemed scary at the time, but we got through them quite well. There are other boats in the same size range, but they didn't seem as well built. I remember going aboard some and being able to see "daylight" through their hulls. Not so with the Catalina. I can't recall that boat having any negative points.